cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please add PCH Fan Control to the BIOS for X570 Boards

Fyrelor
Level 8
For those of us running silent builds, often the PCH Fans are the loudest part of our system these days.

I have an ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) and wish I could decrease the noise coming from the PCH Fan.

We don't want to use a modded BIOS like this and void warranty:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/mod-bios-asus-x570-rog-crosshair-viii-hero-wi-fi-formu...

I would rather not risk something going wrong or not using an official BIOS. So please at least ADD a silent PCH feature mode where the PCH Fans on the high-end boards run at lower speeds and make less noise until a certain temperature is reached, like 75°C.

My chipset temps never go above 58°C, but the fan noise is really annoying and unnecessary. I'd rather it runs slightly hotter and receive less noise.
6 REPLIES 6

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Thanks for your feedback, please provide motherboard suggestions in this thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127441-Make-Motherboard-Improvement-Suggestions-Here!

Thanks!

TrueAsus should stop babysitting us and tell us how low we can set our Fan speed.
Why do we need to have 1-4 case fans running when the CPU is idling at 46C?

Outbreaker wrote:
TrueAsus should stop babysitting us and tell us how low we can set our Fan speed.

The post was about the chipset fan on X570, not case fans, which is a different situation. Later X570 boards have the X570S which doesn't need a fan, but the earlier ones run hotter and need it; it's part of the thermal design of the board to have the chipset fan running (but some user control of it might be a good thing).

As for case fans, nobody is forcing you to keep case fans running at lower temperatures. Enable "Auto-Fan Stop" in Fan Xpert and the fan curve will start at 0%. I wouldn't recommend that, personally, as you need a bit of airflow to keep other components cool as well; running good quality case fans at around 20-30% PWM should be near enough silent and keeps enough air moving to prevent heat building up.

Murph_9000 wrote:
The post was about the chipset fan on X570, not case fans, which is a different situation. Later X570 boards have the X570S which doesn't need a fan, but the earlier ones run hotter and need it; it's part of the thermal design of the board to have the chipset fan running (but some user control of it might be a good thing).

As for case fans, nobody is forcing you to keep case fans running at lower temperatures. Enable "Auto-Fan Stop" in Fan Xpert and the fan curve will start at 0%. I wouldn't recommend that, personally, as you need a bit of airflow to keep other components cool as well; running good quality case fans at around 20-30% PWM should be near enough silent and keeps enough air moving to prevent heat building up.

To force people to install an extract program for an option that should be in the BIOS is a bit silly, and on top of that it will only work in Windows.

And i have a top blow cooler (NH-C14S) and the NR200 case, no point in having the 2 top fans running with 500RPM in ideal because the BIOS says the minimum RPM for the fans are 500RPM which is also wrong because the minimum RPM for those fans are 300.

Outbreaker wrote:

You don't. The UEFI has had independent source control for chassis fan headers for quite a while now, at least Z390 / X370 from memory.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

keithsrobertson
Level 7
I have the same board, and noticed one of the fans going 100% for some reason. I have a Kraken Z63 cooler and some case fans. After checking them all it seems this one PCH fan is the one thats randomly starting up at and running at 100%. Occasionally it will stop and will be quiet for hours - even after heavy gaming session or compiling code or other activities, it then randomly starts again and at 100% speed. I updated bios to latest a week ago v4201, and have noticed this ever since the update. And no option in BIOS to change this fan speed or set it to silent. Would be useful to have this option when next bios update is released.