cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build- newbie with complex cooling, need some help for high speed fans!

dashto
Level 7
Hi folks, I've built a Dark Hero based system (with a 5800X) and with a more complex cooling system that I've had before. Experiencing a problem with the case fans.

Have a Lian Li Galahad 360 for CPU cooler (and had to disable the CPU fan check to get BIOS to post, it's on a 3-pin power connector).

And have 6 LL120 Corsair fans. Issue is, the Corsair fans are starting on high speed at startup. If I go into Armoury Crate, I can click on Standard, and everything slows down to a less than turbojet sound 🙂

I tried the QFan optimizer in BIOS, seems not to have helped at all. Any thoughts on how to proceed with troubleshooting this?

Thanks 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

DragDay7
Level 9
Fans are always spinning max speed during post. Then bios kicks in and fans are spinning accordingly to your qfan setup. After getting into OS other software takes control over it. Perhaps you have something else installed that control your fans like AI Suite? Try to dig a little, there shouldn't be any issue if Armoury Create can slow it down. Also I recommend Fan Control by Rem0o - best app to control your fans.

DragDay7 wrote:
Fans are always spinning max speed during post. Then bios kicks in and fans are spinning accordingly to your qfan setup. After getting into OS other software takes control over it. Perhaps you have something else installed that control your fans like AI Suite? Try to dig a little, there shouldn't be any issue if Armoury Create can slow it down. Also I recommend Fan Control by Rem0o - best app to control your fans.

Hey, thanks for the info, seems like something more odd than that. Fans won't change speed no matter what my Qfan setup is, but Armoury Crate will change the fan speed. It's very strange... I'm thinking maybe I should get a Corsair commander and have iCue manage my fans, possibly?

Also, since there are six fans, a few of the are aggregated on a multiple fan splitter. Could this be an issue?

Nate152
Hi dashto

Since you're using an AIO with Armoury Crate in control, in the bios, monitoring tab, try setting cpu fan speed to ignore and see if there is any change.

Generally, motherboard fan headers support up to 1 amp, the H-amp header supports up to 3 amps.

Check the amperage in the specs of the fans, the total amperage on one fan header should not exceed 1 amp.

It's good to give a little headroom as to not max it to 1amp.