cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory setup and what to change.

syldon
Level 9
Been at this most of the weekend, pretty sad I know. But I look very stable now with memory running at full speed. This is how it looks through various programmes.

I did a lot of reading up on abbreviations and such to verify what values I was adding.

I have to admit it has been a headache sifting through different posts on this forum to piece all the different inputs people are working with. I found I was hitting a wall using one post then finding something else in another which led to better stability. The final piece of the puzzle being the ProcODT setting.

Anyone wishing to use these adjustments will need to download Thaphoon and Aida. (links added). This is also using bios revision 9945 which you can get from here. (link supplied by Meanmachine)

My system uses : DDR4 CMU32GX4M2C3200C16B which is a corsair vengeance version. For anyone using corsair who wants to know what the codes mean use this link. These are all the settings I had to adjust to get my system up to 3200. I added some tweaks which are not mentioned on this forum, it would be nice to get some feedback to know if they will work for all.

Main ExtremeTweaker screen
Aioverclocker: manual
BCLK Frequency: 100
>CPU core ratio: 38.5
Memory Frequency: DDR4-3200MHz

Dram TimingControl screen
Dram Cas# Latency: 16
Dram Ras# to Cas# read delay: 18
Dram Ras# to Cas# write delay: 18
Dram Ras# Pre time: 18
Dram Ras# act time: 36
Trc_SM: 54
Trrds_SM: 6
TrrdL_SM: 9
Tfaw_SM: 36

Trfc_SM: 559
Trfc2_SM: 415
Trfc4_SM: 255

ProcODT_SM:96ohm
Cmd2T: 2T
Gear Down Mode: Disabled
Power Down Mode: Disabled

I did not use any DOCP in the ai overclocker setting. These are preset timing data retrieved from the memory modules. The CH6 does a bad job with these. Setting to manual seems the most common sense thing then add your own values.

How to set voltages for overclocking is explained by AMD here

I added power down mode disabled. This is a motherboard feature which powers down the ram slots when in sleep mode etc. I turned this off thinking it would improve stability, because the voltage regulators seem very haphazard on X370s.

Before you try any settings work from the slowest mode then build your way up. This gives a better chance at gaining stability. Settings to add before you try variations are:

Set post screen to 10 seconds delay. The CH6 does not react well to the delete button being spammed when running prepost checks.
Cpu core ration: set to base clock speed of your CPU - 1800x is 36, 1700x is 34 and 1600x is 36
set memory frequency to standard
Set CMD2T to 2t
Gear down to disabled
power down to disabled.
Add in all values retrieved from Thaiphoon and Aida.

Start to work your way through the ProcODT list. The advice from AMD is that the procODT should be generally 40-60 and not above 80.

Once you find a ProcODT value that works you could write it down and start again with CMD2T set to 1T. You may also need Gear down set to enabled to make this work correctly.

Major thanks to entropic-remnants, jbasemoine, Celty2, Meanmachine, Demoniacstarand Pezzy. I think I got all the names that I found information from. I am not out to leech glory. This post is about combining all the ideas and creating a list that works.

Edit: I should also mention I kept the CPU frequency to 38.5 just for fan noise. I use a closed water cooler and a control unit for the case fans. Going above 3.9 led to temps of 65+ and I couldn't bring that down without high fan speeds. I choose for the quiet option. I had it running with out any issues at 40.0. I think it could go a lot higher, but I don't need the 5-10 extra fps.

EDIT 2: Removed comments regarding fast boot and SOC/ DRam voltages. Stress tests did not reflect actual usage tests, so when playing games I found it creates crashes and memory errors.

Edit 3: Changed wording on procODT to reflect advice from AMD. And added link to the video where AMD explain what is the best way to set voltages up.
5 REPLIES 5

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Nice job. This is going to help someone out there struggling for sure. It's a shame we have to go to these extremes, lol -- but at least the new BIOS allows you to. My memory is pretty similar but I ended up at 80 ohms -- and finding that number for a given kit seems to be one of the biggest trial-and-error things.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

Cheers. I hope it does help, it is really frustrating having kit working at below par levels.

I have dropped back on my settings to 3.8 and 2800 X 103 (which equates to 3.9 and 2884) . This gave me slightly higher benchmarks because it runs on 1T command, along with a low ras to cas timing. The 3200 setting just did not feel right in games. Any backdrops at a distance were very juddery. It booted extremely quicker and felt quicker with windows. But something is still very much awry.

I found some ras to cas timing that were not listed through aida or thaiphoon. This allowed me to drop the procODT down to 63. The result was an increase in benching from 436/4793 up to 443/4854. But it also looks a lot smoother in games. So having the top speed running maybe not be the most optimum.

A video someone has pointed me at will help you with voltage settings. This will go a long way to help people set up properly.

Great thread, info and video i surely gone try this out

I've followed the footsteps of syldon and entropic-remnants here and tried to get my memory kit working at 3200mhz. I managed to do so, but not everything is right yet.

So let's start by saying that the video linked in syldon's post (the one where the AMD evangelist talks about memory and cpu overclocking) was insanely helpful. Really good stuff, everyone interested in overclocking should watch it.

Now for the memory kit:
G.SKILL PC4-25600 3200Mhz 32GB TRIDENT Z SILVER/BLACK CL14 (2x16GB) DDR4 (F4-3200C14D-32GTZSK)

This is a dual rank Samsung-B die kit.

I've managed to get it to POST and boot at 2T and 1T using a ProcODT of 80ohms, which should be a pointer to a problem, since the AMD guy says that we should not go over 60, and i have a suspicion this is what's causing the problems i'll talk about next.

In windows, with stock speed on my 1800x , everything seems fine. Until i run Prime95... Rounding errors all over the place. So i fire up the Ai tool and start tweaking up the voltages, and let me say that this memory kit is rated to run 3200Mhz at 1.35v. I was only able to get Prime95 to not error on my right after the first 60 seconds, by pumping up the memory voltage to 1.4+

Now, lots of people will think: "who cares about prime95". Well, let me tell you: Prime95 is an amazing program, that will test the stability of your system. Before trying prime95 i was running a game, and it would crash. After it did, i ran prime95 and it would error out. So as you can see, there is indeed a relation here. If you're overclocking your system, make sure that you get Prime95 to run without errors, otherwise, you are very likely to run into other issues sooner or later.

So fun thing is i managed to get Prime95 running "stable" for some time, and get 4Ghz oc on the 1800x, with higher voltages. But i've only fiddled with the vsoc and vcore in addition to mem and vddp. However, some hours later, the system began to run unstable again: The game i was playing crashed, and i re-ran prime95 and surprise: there were the rounding errors again.

So in the end i gave up on the OC for the time being, and i'm waiting to see if ASUS will get a non-beta bios in our hands.

Oh and i have 1 more thing to add to this conversation / memory OC guides: i found out that inside the asus bios, under the tool section, there is an SPD tool that lets you read the XMP values right from there. It's really nice and you don't have to run tayphoon or aida. And you can just swap from one section (where you input the values) to the other.

Now, to paraphrase entropic-remnants : why is it that asus bios can READ the XMP values, but not apply them!? this feels like madness.