cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

m.2 temperature on rog strix x570e gaming

joonsetsfire
Level 7
Hello,

I have 2 x 1TB Samsung Evo m.2 installed on Asus rog strix x570e gaming.
Samsung magician is telling me that the m.2 are too hot, temperature varying from 50-60C, but never above 62C.
Is that considered too hot? if it is, is there any after market cooler I can get for them?
Also, strange is that the one that's sitting right below GPU is running cooler than the second slot.
Motherboard itself rarely runs hotter than 50C.
6 REPLIES 6

RedSector73
Level 12
Assuming 970 Samsung Evo

Safe Operating Temperature
0 - 70 ℃ Operating Temperature

EK make M2 block, check it won't foul on components around the M2 drive before purchase.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.hLZ6mLG...

RedSector73 wrote:
Assuming 970 Samsung Evo

Safe Operating Temperature
0 - 70 ℃ Operating Temperature

EK make M2 block, check it won't foul on components around the M2 drive before purchase.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.hLZ6mLG...

Thanks for reply!
Alright I guess up to 70C is ok.
I think I have to remove the cover (I forget what its called but it covers the chipset fan area and the m.2 slots) if I'd like to use that tho right?

You remove the *sticker covering the m2 drive chips (on the top only normally) and place the EK m2 cover on, should have thermal contact pad as the interface material between chipset and heatsink.

There are cheaper versions on eBay and ones with fans or RGB around from different manufacturers. If your motherboard comes with one use that.

* I live in Australia, and we have strong consumer laws, the void if removed, warranty crap on stickers don't hold up here as reasonable excuse to void warranty YMMV. If in doubt take photos of the sticker before removal and after and then the M2 with heatsink interface on with dates stamps. And you have future warranty unless the manufacturer is terrible. I have found Samsung are quite good for warranty.

Hope you find this of help.

RedSector73 wrote:
You remove the *sticker covering the m2 drive chips (on the top only normally) and place the EK m2 cover on, should have thermal contact pad as the interface material between chipset and heatsink.

There are cheaper versions on eBay and ones with fans or RGB around from different manufacturers. If your motherboard comes with one use that.

* I live in Australia, and we have strong consumer laws, the void if removed, warranty crap on stickers don't hold up here as reasonable excuse to void warranty YMMV. If in doubt take photos of the sticker before removal and after and then the M2 with heatsink interface on with dates stamps. And you have future warranty unless the manufacturer is terrible. I have found Samsung are quite good for warranty.

Hope you find this of help.

Gotcha! I'll watch the temperature and see it ever exceeds 70C. Hopefully it stays within.

Thanks!

Hi everyone. I'm having issues with the temperatures on one of my M2 drives in the ASUS X570-E too.

For the top M2 slot, it has a Sabrent Rocket PCIE 4.0 Plus 1TB SSD (as an OS drive) which often goes into the high 50s C. The trouble is, when it reaches 62 / 63 degrees, my PC shows down, but I get no Windows errors or records in the event log to investigate.

Also, previously in the top slot, there was a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB SSD (non Plus version) and that had also reached 63 on very rare occasions and had the same crash.

Not that it's an issue, the lower M2 is a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB SSD (non Plus version again) for gaming, and that sits around 40/50 degrees so isn't a problem.

Could something on the mobo be causing the top drive to shut off at that temp (crashing windows at the same time), as I've seen many other places online saying that up to 70 degrees max should be okay?

Any suggestions on BIOS / Windows settings I could check out or any other ideas please?

Thank you in advance

Hi Alan

that's funny, I have the exact same issue with the same mobo and a Samsung 970 Evo Plus. around 62°C or so, I get a random shutdown.

I replaced the thermal pads and put a 60mm Noctua fan in front of it, so far it hasn't exceeded 59°C, no more random shutdowns, but it's definitely not normal.

Any update on your side?