cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 Fan Holder (What thread size, length, etc. for the screws?)

lightknightrr
Level 8
Hi Guys,

I think I've matched the M.2 Fan Holder shown on one of the Crosshair VI Hero boards with this one (https://www.shapeways.com/product/49NWE57QH/m-2-fan-holder?optionId=61616644); of course, it says it may require new, longer screws, and gives zero information on the thread size, length, etc., except to say that they are the same as the ones which came with the board. Well, that's useful! I've pinged the ASUS shop on Shapeways about this (no answer), I've checked the manual (nada)...I'm just not a screw kind of guy. Does anyone know what the thread, head, length, etc. is for the 3D printing screws that Asus ships with this board? Or is it some form of a state secret?

I'm trying to pair it up with a Noctua 40mm fan, 20mm in width (http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x20-pwm/specification).

Any help is appreciated. And would go far in answering the questions of at least half a dozen people.
5 REPLIES 5

lightknightrr
Level 8
Ok, figured this one out. Take what Asus says, and retranslate it like this: you are going to use your existing screws (the ones you are using to hold the motherboard to your case, should be about 9 of them) to hold the M.2 Fan Holder in the desired spot. Let me explain that again: you are going to use the existing screws (2 of them) that (probably) came with your case to hold them fan hold in the proper place, since it lines up with the motherboard holes near the M.2 slot.

Now, the hard parts:

1.) Depending on the screws, and their heads (as in my particular situation, where I am using hex-head screws), they may not drop in from the top (it may be too small) of the M2. Fan Holder, since there are actually two holes per hole for the motherboard holes on the fan holder; well more of a gap upstairs, and a proper hole near the bottom. Anyway, this gap may not be big enough for your existing screws to drop in vertically. Solution? Buy completely new screws with smaller heads, or just feed the existing screws in through the side (instead of the top); in either case, use a screwdriver, inserted into the gap, to screw the screws into the motherboard. Screws.

2.) Depending on the fan, you may need to purchase screws to attach the fan to the fan holder. See, the fan holder doesn't use those fat fan screws; it wants something like your motherboard / case screws, and chances are, your fan didn't ship with those type of screws.

lightknightrr
Level 8
As you can see, the black screw is a standard case / motherboard screw, and is used to secure both the M.2 Fan Holder to the motherboard, and the motherboard to the stand-offs (which are secured to the case). The silver screw is something a discerning gentlemen helped me pick up at the local hardware store, to hold the 40mm x 40mm x 20mm Noctua Fan you will see in the next picture. The ruler is just to give you an idea of the size of these things.

M.2. Fan Holder, Side View, with 20mm thick Noctua fan installed. You can see the lower area where the actual screw holes for the motherboard are, as well as some of the gap in the upper area where the screwdriver would go through to tighten the screws.

lightknightrr
Level 8
M.2 Fan Holder, Top View. You can see the (larger) gab that you will insert the screwdriver through to turn the screws, and the much smaller hole that the case / motherboard screw will fit through.

M.2 Fan Holder, Side View, with case / motherboard screws installed. Yes, it is possible to get a screw with a larger head in there, by going through the side, rather than the top. Also, that bending isn't an issue when it's actually installed.

M.2 Fan Holder, Side View (Opposite). You can see how the fan juts out, placing it over the NVMe SSD.

lightknightrr
Level 8

MMINC
Level 7
Do you still have the STL file for the bracket? If so would you mind sharing it? aaaand if you still have it on the board, would you mind sharing a picture of what it looks like on the board, please?