cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Corsair Dominator CMD16GX4M2B3200C16 Up to Speed

entropic-remnan
Level 9
So, one thing that has bugged me is my pricey Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz 2x8 gb kit wasn't able to get up near 3200 without a Bclk increase and 3200 was not possible without errors in stress testing.

But the beta BIOS "994x twins" have opened up a lot of user tunability to memory parameters. Using Thaiphoon Burner to read the data from the sticks and then inserting any timings into the BIOS has resulted in solid, error free memory at the rated speed of 3200 mhz without Bclk increase. I'm using 9945 but it's possible 9943 might work better or worse, not sure.

If you use this memory you are not feeling the love -- almost nobody talks about how to fine tune these sticks. Here's a description of what I'm doing followed by screenshots.

I'm using a 100 mhz Bclk, 1.4 volts on running and boot, 1.15 volt SOC and 1.1 volt SB settings. I'm using a p-state overclock to 3775 mhz and hitting nearly 1.4 volts because my chip sucks. But it's still making me happy with what it can do so no harm no foul and with the p-states it's not running at those volts all the time. Temps on the AIDA64 stress test never go over 72 for tctl and 76 for the mobo processor temp in HWINFO64. Using a Noctua NH-U14S cooler with dual Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 fans.

Running CMD 2T, 80 ohm ProcODT and "Gear Down" is Disabled.

Here a screen shot of what Thaiphoon Burner says about my critical memory parameters:

And here's screen shots from the BIOS setup (and remember to use the numbers YOU get from Thaiphoon Burner as it may be different for your pair of sticks):

And also a tweak to VTTDDR in Tweaker's Paradise. Not sure this is essential, but some credible people recommend locking this to about 1/2 your memory voltage.

Here's the final result, which I am happy with. Not mind bending but very good.

The above technique of taking the Thaiphoon Burner memory profile data and presetting timings in the BIOS may work for a variety of different memory brands/dies. Worth a try if you've had problems getting to rated speed reliably.

Edit: One thing I'd like to note is that the new BIOS in combination with pre-loading a bunch of correct parameters results in very little training time required for the memory. The BIOS splash screen appears with remarkable quickness compared to previous setups. I'd say it's about in line with what I expect from a modern mobo so good progress there as well. I know many of us have found the slow POST problematic.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.
12 REPLIES 12

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Okay, played with the CPU and mem a bit -- kind of sick today so not doing too much.

Inched up the voltage and got the CPU t o 3850 stable in AIDA64, nothing I do to the memory lets me go higher than 3200 but there's a lot about memory overclocking I still don't understand.

Anyway, here's the latest memory benchmark with the CPU a bit faster.

Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

Thanks for all. I'll probe it with my hynix 😞 F4-3200C16D-32GVK memories.

Thanks! I running 3200Mhz.

but i want run CMD 1T. How can i do that?

entropic-remnan
Level 9
IF you're running 9943/45 it's in the DRAM Timings section of the Extreme Tweaker down towards the bottom. It's there along with the new location of ProcODT (which still appears in the AMD CBS section but no longer does anything there).

Of course, your memory has to be able to handle it. Mine doesn't, it's 2T or it doesn't work reliably (won't pass stress test).

If you are not already on 9943/45 you'll probably need to use them. There were some other BIOS that allowed 1T above 2666 but I don't remember what they were (maybe that was BIOS 0083?) I could run 1T on this memory at lower speeds, but not at 3200.

Thank you for your precise informations. Now i am able to run my Corsair 3200Mhz 2x16GB Sticks with 2933Mhz with these timings, because they are the same.
One Question:
Do you still have booting issues when you unplug the power cord from the PC? (complete settings reset when training failed) (i readed something on overclock.net)
Or maybe you know a nice tip^^.

P.S. all economy features are disabled (EuP, ...)

entropic-remnants wrote:
IF you're running 9943/45 it's in the DRAM Timings section of the Extreme Tweaker down towards the bottom. It's there along with the new location of ProcODT (which still appears in the AMD CBS section but no longer does anything there).

Of course, your memory has to be able to handle it. Mine doesn't, it's 2T or it doesn't work reliably (won't pass stress test).

If you are not already on 9943/45 you'll probably need to use them. There were some other BIOS that allowed 1T above 2666 but I don't remember what they were (maybe that was BIOS 0083?) I could run 1T on this memory at lower speeds, but not at 3200.

Giga522 wrote:
Thank you for your precise informations. Now i am able to run my Corsair 3200Mhz 2x16GB Sticks with 2933Mhz with these timings, because they are the same.
One Question:
Do you still have booting issues when you unplug the power cord from the PC? (complete settings reset when training failed) (i readed something on overclock.net)
Or maybe you know a nice tip^^.

P.S. all economy features are disabled (EuP, ...)

No, haven't had the boot issue with my kit.

Did you set the DRAM boot voltage in the Digi Power options to whatever you're using in the Extreme Tweaker for the DRAM voltage? On cold boot from power up it will set the DRAM to that voltage before training, but if it defaults the RAM may not pass. On "warm boot" the voltage is likely already set.

That's about all I can think of, sorry.

entropic-remnants wrote:
No, haven't had the boot issue with my kit.

Did you set the DRAM boot voltage in the Digi Power options to whatever you're using in the Extreme Tweaker for the DRAM voltage? On cold boot from power up it will set the DRAM to that voltage before training, but if it defaults the RAM may not pass. On "warm boot" the voltage is likely already set.

That's about all I can think of, sorry.

No problem. I tried different settings but it is not cold boot stable for me(I mean no power at the supply, not only a shutdown). At booting, the PC shuts off, starts again and from this event on it works. But this training error is always there when discharging the supply. Maybe it ist still buggy at boot up with overclocked RAM. I am not alone with this problem.

Elmor statement:
- The 2-3 full resets (AA POST code) some are getting at the moment when starting from a fully powered off to the way the new BIOS applies external/internal reference clock mode, vboot voltages and the new cold boot fix. Hopefully we can optimize this into at most one full reset in a future BIOS release.*

thanks for the post, finally able to hit the rated speed xD

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Good deal! Glad to hear it.