cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero FLCK Bootup shutdown issue.

Scottx125
Level 7
Hi, so long story short. I partially figured out an issue causing my computer to randomly shutdown during bootup (never occurred once the computer loaded into windows). This issue was caused by the FLCK being at half 3733 Mhz matching my ram speed (the ram is compatible and I've mem tested it to ensure there are no errors), after lowering the FLCK clock I went from 2-3 shutdowns a week to once every 2-3 weeks. Aside from lowering the FLCK even more, I'm still trying to figure out the direct cause of why the FLCK clock is causing the computer to only shutdown during boot up.

Other things I've tried: Updating, and reflashing the bios. Removing OC. Re-seating the RAM and GPU. Swapping PSU cables and testing to ensure the PSU is still healthy (it is). Disk check to ensure drives are not causing errors. Reinstalled Windows. Updated chipset and GPU drivers after a clean install. I'm probably forgetting a few things but I'm pretty sure there's something funky going on with the Mobo.
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Is the system powering off, or restarting?

What is shown in event viewer, any stop codes? It certainly sounds like the system is unstable. What are you using to stress test the memory?

"Removing the OC" I'm assuming means you reverted the UEFI settings to complete Optimised Defaults? Any adjustment of the FCLK is considered an overclock.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

RedSector73
Level 12
FLCK runs at half memory speed,

so 3733 Mhz memory would have FLCK of 1866 Mhz

RedSector73 wrote:
FLCK runs at half memory speed,

so 3733 Mhz memory would have FLCK of 1866 Mhz

Yeah I know, I've clarified that point in my main post.
Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Is the system powering off, or restarting?

What is shown in event viewer, any stop codes? It certainly sounds like the system is unstable. What are you using to stress test the memory?

"Removing the OC" I'm assuming means you reverted the UEFI settings to complete Optimised Defaults? Any adjustment of the FCLK is considered an overclock.

It shuts down and then restarts. Event viewer doesn't show anything for the latest restart. But sometimes it does catch it as a Kernel-Power error with event ID 41. But within the details report everything is 0 and false. To stress test the memory I ran Memtest86. I've ran a few tests of this, on my RAM OC at the time and one on my XMP, both tests returned no errors and both tests lasted 16 hours for 32gb. Removing the OC means I reset my UEFI to defaults and then only applied my RAM XMP and set the FLCK to match. Only difference I can think to make is to set the FLCK to auto, I've done that and I'll see if it helps.

Scottx125 wrote:
Yeah I know, I've clarified that point in my main post.

It shuts down and then restarts. Event viewer doesn't show anything for the latest restart. But sometimes it does catch it as a Kernel-Power error with event ID 41. But within the details report everything is 0 and false. To stress test the memory I ran Memtest86. I've ran a few tests of this, on my RAM OC at the time and one on my XMP, both tests returned no errors and both tests lasted 16 hours for 32gb. Removing the OC means I reset my UEFI to defaults and then only applied my RAM XMP and set the FLCK to match. Only difference I can think to make is to set the FLCK to auto, I've done that and I'll see if it helps.

Hello,

Memtest86 isn't enough. You'll need to use HCI Memtest Pro or Karhu Ram Test. The system is locking up quickly enough that it can't save the log, hence event 41. This is typical of certain memory or cache instability. I would revert to optimised defaults and not enable XMP at all. If the issue desists, then you have your answer, the OC is unstable.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

RedSector73
Level 12
Maybe try disabling of c-state and see if this helps.
Also wondering about Load Line Calibration setting it to 3 might also help.