cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI Extreme only outputing Digital

GameOverAus73
Level 8
OK, so i was using a X370 Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 mobo until today as it decided the memory slots no longer existed. So i went out and where i live the only "decent" priced mobo that was available for immediate pickup was a Crosshair VI Extreme, after an unintended 5hr pulling everything out of the old system and swapping over to the new mobo windows and almost everything worked first boot.

One thing remains a noodle scratcher, the sound, doesn't matter which i put the jacks in i get no recognition that anything is plugged in, windows and the realtek software are only showing Digital Output and ofcourse that means no sound. Drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled twice.
doing the windows troubleshooter comes up with speakers are not installed which they are.

The only other thing i haven't done is a fresh install windows 10 x64 Pro but that's not an option atm, in the future yes. Any ideas? all drivers from the website were used not those on the included CD, BIOS updated. Audio is turned on in the bios.

PS i'm not a noob to the ROG boards, i've owned Maximus and a Crosshair before on the intel side something i'm missing this time tho lol
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
Well no disrespect intended at all but I am going to list the obvious stuff that I have seen people, and myself too, do.

1. Do you have your speakers powered on?
2. Are your speakers connected to the power socket at the wall?
3. Is your speaker connected to your PC. Yes - you speak about the jacks not being picked up.
and finally,
4. Do you have sound enabled in OS?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Well no disrespect intended at all but I am going to list the obvious stuff that I have seen people, and myself too, do.

1. Do you have your speakers powered on?
2. Are your speakers connected to the power socket at the wall?
3. Is your speaker connected to your PC. Yes - you speak about the jacks not being picked up.
and finally,
4. Do you have sound enabled in OS?

Yes everything was fine when the other mobo was working the speakers are a fairly old logitech 5.1 system they were never switced off, i have gotten closer by constantly plugging and unpluggng the jacks, seems the back plugs on the board are fiddly, if push the jacks all the way in they get undetected or only half output. Anyway after about an hr of this i have got rear and centre/sub working fully plugged in but the front either only outputs 1 speaker with half sound or 2 channels out of the left speaker.

Would note tho the manual for the board references black port for rear when theres white. That withstanding not sure if this is a board fauot with the ports or the jacks themselves which look ok and the speakers were working fine yesterday b4 todays disaster

HiVizMan
Level 40
I hear you mate.

lets get the jacks removed from the equation as a possible issue. You have access to another board that you can test each jack to see if they work correctly? Laptop or mates PC near by?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I hear you mate.

lets get the jacks removed from the equation as a possible issue. You have access to another board that you can test each jack to see if they work correctly? Laptop or mates PC near by?

Yeah the broken board lol. Its late now ill see if i can plug them mm into mt laptops outs tomorrow. Thanx for replying. Its not the first time ive had this issue with asus boards before moving to AMD again, tho it seemed fine on the gigabyte, bout the only thing that worked faithfully on that board lol. hopefully its just an incompatibility fault with the speaker jacks/wires as they are around 15yrs old, dont fancy having to disassemble the whole computer again just to rma the board for 1 audio port

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate, see you after you get some sleep.

HiVizMan wrote:
All good mate, see you after you get some sleep.

Tried each of the 3 jacks on the laptop and the speakers work fine 😠

HiVizMan
Level 40
Well two quick things before I go out.

Do a full CMOS reset as the bios should enable sound as default. Don't always trust the F5 bios reset to do a complete clear of all user input...

And check system device manager to see if there are any devices that are not being picked up. It may be that somehow with swapping OS for a different board the OS has not been allowed to pick up certain devices. The device manager should indicate if that is the case.

GameOverAus73
Level 8
Yeah no dice, the other 2 ports are a bit fiddly unless you don't push the jacks in all the way initially but the front is the worst and regardless of if plug rear or front speaker jack into it it's the same result only full sound i can get is both channels coming out of the left otherwise no sound/undetected and if the front is undetected they are all undetected.
Realtek is **** as it is but this is just rediculous and as i may have said not the first time i've encountered this sort of thing.

Sorry i should clarify i'm talking about the ports on the IO shield, not the HD/Headphone audio to the front of the case, i never use headphones.

I read about remapping the ports, is there anyway to do this with this board? just need to remap the front speaker port. i can take this board back probably no issues but it's the last one in the state and would take a few weeks to get a replacement and given windows 10 has basically killed off dedicated soundcards, meanwhile i have no computer and all for a faulty audio port.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Dude I am starting to think that either you have a faulty board, or you are going to have to do a clean install of OS as something is really not good.

I had something similar with my sound and it turned out to be that I had not enabled a device in the system manager. But what you describe does not fit the bill.

You fancy doing a full clean install of your OS? Or...