cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus crosshair dark hero /5900x/ bios update question

Asryan
Level 10
Hi,

I'm still on bios 3801 on my board but because of some issues I might need to flash a new version, I read that some people are having serious issues with the 4201 and I guess I'll avoid it.

Which is the more recent and stable version then?

Thanks
51 REPLIES 51

hankieroseman
Level 8
Has been stable on my machine with AMD R9 5950X. Ensure it is named correctly as instructed in your download.

Asryan
Level 10
Should I clear cmos first before updating?

Megascrypt
Level 7
I can confirm, bios 4201 have some serious issues, you might be facing freezes, random reboots or both. 4006 has been stable for me.

Megascrypt wrote:
I can confirm, bios 4201 have some serious issues, you might be facing freezes, random reboots or both. 4006 has been stable for me.

I'll stay on 3801 for now I guess 🙂

Megascrypt wrote:

you had 0 issues with 4006 ?

Megascrypt
Level 7
Absolutely 0 issues. When I received my new board as the previous that I got, but I still tested, it had dent on both heat sinks, Chipset and rear IO, but both boards had 4006, but that first board worked perfect with my 5950X till I updated then had all kings or reboots on idle and load. When I got the second board it came with 4006 and again, works nice and I didn't bother updating. Apparently the AGESA 1207 which is in 4021 causes issues and AGESA 1206b and prior don't.

Asryan
Level 10
Do you advise me to upgrade from 3801 ? it was all fine but i'm having LOTS of random issues since few weeks

Megascrypt
Level 7
Sorry I didn't catch that if you on Win 10 or 11. If you haven't had issues with 3801 and all of the sudden started without changing any hardware e.g upgrade RAM, bumped frequency or if you even were playing with settings, then either windows update mess something up or perhaps CPU has issue.

Also, are you on latest AMD chipset? when I was on Intel I would just download everything from boar vendor which was always Asus, but with AMD I prefer to get directly from them as its much updated.

If you did any changes to your system and you have some glitches with 3801 I would fully clear CMOS and get the 4006 and see if it fixes your issues, but stay away from 4201 its horribly problematic.

Let us know your outcome after update.

Asryan
Level 10
I'm on W11. It was all stable for month, maybe more a year and stuff happend. Only thing i've changed is the AIO (i got a ryujin 2)

BUT :

when trying to plug a fan I pressed the button retry my mistake and since my mouse was not recognized in bios i had to restart barbarian style and got issues since then.

Maybe my oc became unstable too, heard that could happen with time?

But for the issue of this morning it's weird, maybe a cable is loose somewhere when i've installed the AIO. I need to check it all when i have time