Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith II Extreme BIOS 1502 "Test CMOS" very long post

micboule
Level 8
Hi,

Anyone know what is going on?

It's very sad to see that we can have problems with High End products like the ThreadRipper Series.
I like my PC performance very much and I'm very happy with it, though.

I just want to share that I do get a Code CPU Code C7 too.

Here is a video of the issue: Youtube Video

But just after the Code C7, it changes to "Test CMOS" and stay there for about 1 min. 30 sec.
After a long wait, it processes to the VGA and HDD just fine and then boot the Windows.

I started to get that "Test CMOS" from the latest BIOS Update 1502 we had to install to make it compatible for the OS Windows 11.

Then, when I saw that, I have tried to boot from the Slot BIOS #2 that was having the BIOS Version 1402. At the first boot, it did not show the "Test CMOS", but on the second boot, it started to show the same "Test CMOS" and waiting again 1 min. 30 sec. more to boot.

Oh, by the way, I remember when I was booting from BIOS 1402 before updating to 1502, the PC was going ON and OFF for about 5 to 8 times before the Posting Boot appears, now with 1502 I don't get the behavior anymore.

Here the spesc I have:
Windows 11 Pro. 21H2 (with all the latest drivers)
Zenith II Extreme (not Alpha) Z2E
CPU AMD ThreadRipper 3970X
Watercooling with Heatsink Heatkiller IV (Quad 4 rads)
Waterpump EKWB D5 Pump
64GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-32GTZN
2 x Gigabyte NVME GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD 1TB each (RAID 0)
5 HDD SATA 3.5"
1 x 1080Ti Geforce Nvidia Strix OC
1 x 660Ti Geforce Nvidia
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium

Also, I do have another problem in Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

Not able to shutdown the Windows at all. When I clic on the Windows Shutdown button, nothings happend.
Almost all the time, I need to push the Case Power button for 4 sec to get it OFF.

If someone can help, I would very much appreciated 🙂
13 REPLIES 13

micboule wrote:
Hi FQs19,

That's a problem to not be able to get another motherboard for those sTRX40 Threadripper CPU. Specially at the performance of those products and prices they are selling.

I was thinking to buying another backup Motherboard, but they start to be hard to get.
The one that I can get around here is the ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro S AMD sTRX4, which is less featured than a ZE2.

I'm wondering if there is something similar on the market that would be able to replace the 3970x CPU?

I bought two backup motherboards, the Gigabyte TRX40 Designare and the MSI AMD Pro Series TRX40 Pro10g. I got them both off of eBay.
The MSI AMD Pro Series TRX40 has been fantastic so far. They both come with 10gBe internet and a PCIE card for NVME drives. So you get all the extras of the Asus board, but you have to use two PCIE slots for it. In my case that wasn't an issue.

FQs19 wrote:
I bought two backup motherboards, the Gigabyte TRX40 Designare and the MSI AMD Pro Series TRX40 Pro10g. I got them both off of eBay.
The MSI AMD Pro Series TRX40 has been fantastic so far. They both come with 10gBe internet and a PCIE card for NVME drives. So you get all the extras of the Asus board, but you have to use two PCIE slots for it. In my case that wasn't an issue.

Thanks for sharing! I'll probably gonna have to do the same just to be able to make sure I'll be able to run this CPU for a long time.

I know there is a lot more features on ZE2, but have you experience the same result in term of CPU and RAM speed with other motherboard vs ZE2?

Thanks

micboule wrote:
Thanks for sharing! I'll probably gonna have to do the same just to be able to make sure I'll be able to run this CPU for a long time.

I know there is a lot more features on ZE2, but have you experience the same result in term of CPU and RAM speed with other motherboard vs ZE2?

Thanks

The CPU and RAM speeds are the same in unRAID using the MSI motherboard. Motherboards won't affect the CPU and RAM speeds. Only changing the Bios configuration will change the CPU and RAM speeds.
I don't use this system for Windows OS.

JEmlay
Level 8

Thanks for this thread!  Ran into this myself tonight.  Disabled the 1Gb adapter and no more proper boot.  Updated to BIOS 1802 and the problem went away.