cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith II Extreme Alpha Restart Problem

PMokover
Level 7
I’m having a minor but annoying problem on one of my PCs. Zenith II Extreme Alpha motherboard, AMD Threadripper 3970x, latest update of Windows 10 Pro, latest BIOS.

When I restart the PC either manually or after a software update it does not fully restart. The restart process begins normally but at the point where it would normally start-up again, it just sits there. Power is on but it just sits there. However, at that point, if I press the reset button on the case it does restart.

Any ideas on what might be causing this or what I can do to fix it? Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

mtasquared
Level 7
I owned the exact same motherboard and cpu for a whole year before ironing out all the bugs (just today) including the restart issue. I use 4 x 8 gb trident neo z ram sticks, ultralow latency 14-14-14-34. You might not have the same ram but this is how I solved the reboot issue. warning: it is not an easy fix.

First of all, I am using windows 11 with all updates. If you are using win 11 you can now use the onboard tpm (firmware, not discrete) as the Ryzen stuttering issue has now finally been fixed in software. I think you should do this first of all to get the best baseline stability.

Now, to get next to the reboot issue: I removed all four ram sticks. Then I tested them one by one in slot one, to see which one would reboot. One stick rebooted without issue. Two other sticks rebooted after a stutter. The fourth stick would not reboot. Then I put the sticks back into the 1st, 3rd, fifth and 7 th slots from right to left in order of their relative functioning, with the stick that worked the best in slot one and the stick that worked the worst in slot 7.

Then I tuned my bios, setting up boost and overclock settings to give a little more current to the sticks. i set ram voltage to 1.55 volts (this can be hazardous. do at your own risk). I set boost scalar to 3x and offset to 75 hz. Ram with tight timings such as mine need more voltage to be stable, in my theory.

Then I started up my pc.

I rebooted from the logon screen. It worked!!

Then I noticed that my cpu overclock and perceived ram settings in cpuz were relaxed, being 15-15-15-35 instead of 14-14-14-34 like advertised.

I went back into my bios, pressed save and exit to force my settings, then booted.

Now my pc showed 14-14-14-34 ram timings and the correct overclock.

And it rebooted, both from within the desktop and also on the login screen.

Sometimes, there is a stutter in the reboot process, but it corrects itself and eventually reboots, as per the lcd display on the mobo showing the post process.

Now that my board is functioning 100% perfectly, I can honestly say this is the greatest pc i have ever owned, in looks and power. It was also the greatest ***** to get working i have ever known. The ability to reboot the pc is vitally important functionality. I hope this helps you.