cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith Extreme VRM fan spins up to 100% randomly

AquaRelliux
Level 8
Hello Everyone

This is my first post here but I have been trying to find information about this on the internet with no luck. I have a Zenith Extreme motherboard with the latest bios 902? And I have this really annoying issue. Sometimes the board spins the VRM fan to maximum RPM, and it is really loud! I have tried fiddling with bios settings and I have updated all bios versions since initial release but I can't seem to get rid of this problem. It only happens occasionally and sometimes when it happens the CPU fan stops spinning all together? I am beginning to think my board is broken which is a shame because everything else works fine!

Anyone that has any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

JHR1979
Level 7
The board has had its fair amount of problems with fan curves set in the UEFI. Sometimes, when i adjust a fan manually, apply the settings and go back to change it again immediately, the fan profile curve has changed, theres usually a weird drop around higher temps. This once managed to stop my CPU fan completely, luckily i was around the computer at that time, since the computer was not shutting down on its own, even tho software reported temperatures were around crazy levels already.

The vrm/cover fan i have set manually to a fixed rpm around 50%.

This is the most expensive mobo i've ever had, and its also the one ive had most weird issues too, especially with getting the fans to work as I want.

AquaRelliux
Level 8
Hmm I have tried to set it manually? How do you do that I can only set the fan speed on min,medium and max duty. And on max duty I can only set it as a minumum to 90% fan speed

make a bug report not enough people are complaining about min fan % stuck at ridiculously high percentages for them to fix it

AquaRelliux
Level 8
I will, but can someone explain how you can set the fan to a static value? Temps are more than fine around 50C on VRMS

gupsterg
Level 13
In UEFI, page Monitor > Q-Fan > COV fan is VRM fan.

I think I have a work around for issues with stuck fans/PWM. I am avoiding using multiple apps to access monitoring data. This seems to send Super IO chip wacko. I have spent about 6 days with back to back testing to believe this is issue.

I did 2 instances of 24hrs+ continuous usage. At each stage of testing I would take a screenshot where HWINFO had been logging monitoring data for run and I would open CPU-Z to get say stats like UEFI version, RAM SPD, etc. As CPU-Z also accesses Super IO chip it would create a clash which I would not be aware of. This clash could then later exhibit as stuck fans of (x)% or full blown crap out of PWM signal leading to water pump stuck at say ~800RPM = 40C+ water temps :eek: .

When I did my 3rd instance of testing I only used HWINFO, for over ~72hrs testing all was well, link.

Rig config:

TR 1950X
ASUS ZE UEFI 0019
F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
RX VEGA 64
2x SATA SSD MX100 256GB, 1x SATA HDD HGST 2TB, 1x SATA HDD Seagate 2TB

Cooling is EK CPU/GPU blocks, 2x MagiCool G2 Slim 360mm rads, EK D5 PWM, 2 sets of 3x Arctic Cooling F12 PWM fans using CHA_FAN1 & 2 via 4in1 cables, Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 using CPU_FAN. Each header is custom PWM profile set in UEFI, T_Sensor1 is used to measure loop temp and used as source for fan profile. VRM stock fan also has custom profile set in UEFI.

ASUS are aware of this issue concerning the Super IO chip, a fix is in the pipeline from what Elmor has stated, link.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

AquaRelliux
Level 8
Thanks for the information! I am seriously considering to rip this fan out... I already have enough air flow

gupsterg
Level 13
NP 🙂 , was whiny at stock set up, but with some tinkering it can be used and remain useful without being irritating.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

AquaRelliux
Level 8
When is the bios update coming with the fix?.. It has been 3 months soon since last update. It really feels like AMD products not get as much love on updates as the Intel counterparts*

AquaRelliux
Level 8
One more month passed and still no bios update, what in the hell is Asus doing? I think this is the last AMD product I will buy. With this premium price they should roll out updates every month as they are doing on the X299 platform...