cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith Extreme Pre-Build Questions

ApolloX
Level 7
Going to be building a Zenith Extreme Threadripper build soon, had some questions:

1) Does any Corsair RAM run at 64GB (4x16GB) @ 3200MHz using the last stable bios (0701)? It seems like post-launch anything above 32GB or near 3200MHz, people had major problems across the web/forums. Have these been addressed? Ideally, I’d like to run 2 sets of CMR32GX4M2C3200C16W (White RGB Vengeance 2x16GB). Has anyone gotten this or the black version to run stable @ 3200MHz? I know they aren’t in the QVL but there’s a huge amount of RAM out there and Asus can’t test them all.

* 2 x https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2x16GB-PC4-25600-Desktop/dp/B075MGKVDZ

2) Does anyone know where the DIMM memory fan (or more specifically the mount) shown on the main product website can be purchased? The one pictured on the product page looks great whereas most third party memory coolers are way bigger with wide clips.

69294

3) Has anyone tried the EK-M.2 NVMe Heatsink with the M.2 DIMM and did it fit around the M.2 drives?

* https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RH58WN

4) Is there any performance difference between the M.2 drive built into the motherboard vs the ones on the DIMM card? Do the two on the DIMM card share bandwidth?

Thanks in advance!
340 Views
7 REPLIES 7

caknuckles
Level 7
1) Most ram can achieve 2933, Samsung dies 3066 without tweaks. I run Smasung B die 3200 16 18 18 at 3066 16 16 16. I can run 3200 but not 100% stable. My rig renders commonly for a couple days so stability is very important to me. I have 4x 16GB dual rank sticks.

2)The mount comes with the motherboard. However I have not seen temps require its use. YMMV.

3) Waste of money for the Zenith Extreme. One is already shielded and on the DIMM.2 case air flow does the job. YMMV.

4) No difference, however I am only populating one side of the DIMM.2.

caknuckles wrote:
1) Most ram can achieve 2933, Samsung dies 3066 without tweaks. I run Smasung B die 3200 16 18 18 at 3066 16 16 16. I can run 3200 but not 100% stable. My rig renders commonly for a couple days so stability is very important to me. I have 4x 16GB dual rank sticks.

2)The mount comes with the motherboard. However I have not seen temps require its use. YMMV.

3) Waste of money for the Zenith Extreme. One is already shielded and on the DIMM.2 case air flow does the job. YMMV.

4) No difference, however I am only populating one side of the DIMM.2.


Thanks, that information helps, especially #2. Might throw a small fan on just for the heck of it.

The box arrived today via Amazon. One oddity... the box wasn't sealed. I'm used to motherboard boxes being sealed/taped box or there being a sealed/taped bag around the motherboard. In this case I can open the box and take the motherboard out without cutting nor removing any tape.

I don't think it's been used, but was anyone else's sealed in any way? Most of the cables just have a piece of tape keeping the bag closed (a few ones line SATA are sealed though).

ApolloX wrote:
Thanks, that information helps, especially #2. Might throw a small fan on just for the heck of it.

The box arrived today via Amazon. One oddity... the box wasn't sealed. I'm used to motherboard boxes being sealed/taped box or there being a sealed/taped bag around the motherboard. In this case I can open the box and take the motherboard out without cutting nor removing any tape.

I don't think it's been used, but was anyone else's sealed in any way? Most of the cables just have a piece of tape keeping the bag closed (a few ones line SATA are sealed though).


Yep, sounds right to me. I do not recall needing to remove any seal tape. MB is exposed with no bag. Extra pieces are sealed or taped.

caknuckles wrote:
1) Most ram can achieve 2933, Samsung dies 3066 without tweaks. I run Smasung B die 3200 16 18 18 at 3066 16 16 16. I can run 3200 but not 100% stable. My rig renders commonly for a couple days so stability is very important to me. I have 4x 16GB dual rank sticks.


How do you decide to run it at 16 16 16 when choosing 3066Mhz? Why not 16 18 18? Just curious if I run 3200Mhz at lower speeds, what the timings should be.

ApolloX wrote:
How do you decide to run it at 16 16 16 when choosing 3066Mhz? Why not 16 18 18? Just curious if I run 3200Mhz at lower speeds, what the timings should be.


I use the following settings:
Memory Frequency [DDR4-3066MHz]
DRAM AB Voltage [1.35000]
DRAM CD Voltage [1.35000]
DRAM CAS# Latency [15]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Read Delay [17]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Write Delay [17]
DRAM RAS# PRE Time [17]
DRAM RAS# ACT Time [34]
Trc [51]

They are what is in the XMP profile on my sticks for 3066MHz (only 3200 could be selected in D.O.C.P so I had to enter all values manually in UEFI).
I have written (either here or on http://www.overclock.net/t/1636566/asus-rog-zenith-extreme-x399-threadripper-overclocking-support) how I obtained the information from the sticks.
One method is by using the software "Thaiphoon Burner" (http://www.softnology.biz/files.html freeware version) or SIV64 (http://rh-software.com/ wonderful set of utilities, freeware)

Ljugtomten
Level 9
ApolloX wrote:
Going to be building a Zenith Extreme Threadripper build soon, had some questions:

1) Does any Corsair RAM run at 64GB (4x16GB) @ 3200MHz using the last stable bios (0701)? It seems like post-launch anything above 32GB or near 3200MHz, people had major problems across the web/forums. Have these been addressed? Ideally, I’d like to run 2 sets of CMR32GX4M2C3200C16W (White RGB Vengeance 2x16GB). Has anyone gotten this or the black version to run stable @ 3200MHz? I know they aren’t in the QVL but there’s a huge amount of RAM out there and Asus can’t test them all.

* 2 x https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2x16GB-PC4-25600-Desktop/dp/B075MGKVDZ

2) Does anyone know where the DIMM memory fan (or more specifically the mount) shown on the main product website can be purchased? The one pictured on the product page looks great whereas most third party memory coolers are way bigger with wide clips.

69294

3) Has anyone tried the EK-M.2 NVMe Heatsink with the M.2 DIMM and did it fit around the M.2 drives?

* https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RH58WN

4) Is there any performance difference between the M.2 drive built into the motherboard vs the ones on the DIMM card? Do the two on the DIMM card share bandwidth?

Thanks in advance!


I use two kits of CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 running at 3066MHz.
As they are dual rank, that is about as high as I can get them 100% stable at the moment. (using timings and voltage from that XMP profile manually entered, 0701 UEFI)

Let's say I buy 3200Mhz with the idea that it might eventually support that speed in a future update. What do I run them at in the meantime? Do I just use the XMP memory timings with a lower speed -or- do I need to adjust the memory timings too?

For those running 3200Mhz at lower speeds, which timings are you using and why?