cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith Extreme not POSTing

timmy112
Level 7
I need some help, I've Built a new system using this board (1950X), plugged in the power, the led's light up and do their thing, press the power button, nothing happens, the board doesn't even attempt to POST.

So far I've tried, re-seating the cpu, one stick of ram, no pci-e devices, re-seating power cables multiple times, and yeah nothing. None of the Qleds are lighting up, and the cpu ready led is not lighting up.
9 REPLIES 9

vsimone67
Level 7
timmy112 wrote:
I need some help, I've Built a new system using this board (1950X), plugged in the power, the led's light up and do their thing, press the power button, nothing happens, the board doesn't even attempt to POST.

So far I've tried, re-seating the cpu, one stick of ram, no pci-e devices, re-seating power cables multiple times, and yeah nothing. None of the Qleds are lighting up, and the cpu ready led is not lighting up.

Did you try and turn on the PC from the motherboard power button? It could be the connection to the power button of your case.

vpkb1998
Level 7
timmy112 wrote:

This sounds stupid but make sure the power switch connectors are on properly.

timmy112
Level 7
After it Wouldn't turn on the first time, I've only tried to turn it on with the button on the motherboard.

timmy112
Level 7
Well, I've just tried to use the BIOS Flashback feature, and the LED on the switch won't respond at all. I'm wondering if I have a dead CPU or Board?

are you plugging in both the cpu power or just one - its weird that you don't see any numbers on the oled (im guessing)

also what type of ram * have you tested the ram in another system

*I would skim through the first post of this thread it talks about flashback
http://www.overclock.net/t/1636566/asus-rog-zenith-extreme-x399-threadripper-overclocking-support

if you get no oled numbers and no cpu led I would try to return both after giving it another go

IM3CPO
Level 7
You need to start by eliminating variables from the system. First thing to do is to remove everything from the system except for the CPU. So, no add in cards, no memory, so storage, etc. Just a power supply, motherboard, and a CPU. Try powering on the system in this state. If the motherboard and CPU are good, then you should get some sort of diagnostic on the motherboard. If you have a internal speaker, have that attached and you should get the BIOS beep code for no memory.

If you do this and you dont get the same response; then you should take out the CPU and look at all the pins on the motherboard. Make sure they are all aligned. When you re-install the CPU, make sure you have it completely in the metal slide guide rails. When you slide the CPU into the motherboard retainer, make sure you get it slid down all the way. There is an initial bump-stop that you need to push PAST before it fully seats. Install the CPU, put the cooler back on the try to power on again. If you still get nothing, you potentially have a bad power supply (or its not hooked up all the way), a bad CPU (or its no installed correctly), or a bad motherboard (ex: a messed up pin on the socket, etc).

Are you using a power supply that has 2x 8-PIN EATX power connectors? What brand of power supply are you using? The odds of a bad CPU or motherboard (barring damage from installation) is very very slim. Name brand power supplies also are very unlikely bad, but thats usually an area where people cut corners.

My bet is the CPU is not seated correctly or you have a bent pin on the CPU socket..

timmy112
Level 7
My power supply is a confirmed working one, it's a Corsair HX1000i, that was used in my X58 System that I'm upgrading from, I am also using both 8-Pin CPU power cables.

When I press the power button I get no reaction whatsoever, no OLED numbers, no CPU led, it doesn't matter if I have ram installed or not. I've tried re-seating the CPU 3 times, making sure I've put it in the guide rails and fully down in the rails, in between times I couldn't see any out of place pins (mind you with around 4000 of them it's kinda hard to tell).

The Ram is 2 packets of G.Skill Flare-X F4-3200C14D-16GFX 16GB (2x8GB) Ryzen DDR4, so 4x8GB Total, I can't test the ram in another system, as I have no other systems that can use DDR4.

This isn't the first rig I've built, and when I do build one I'm really careful with what I do, so I would like to think I didn't do anything to damage the system while it was being built. I am wondering if something got damaged while shipping, Australia Post aren't known for being careful with their packages.

I will attach a video showing what's happening, I doubt it'll be any help though. BTW the same thing (nothing) happens with and without ram.
https://youtu.be/uPV0xt1al1Y

timmy112 wrote:
My power supply is a confirmed working one, it's a Corsair HX1000i, that was used in my X58 System that I'm upgrading from, I am also using both 8-Pin CPU power cables.

When I press the power button I get no reaction whatsoever, no OLED numbers, no CPU led, it doesn't matter if I have ram installed or not. I've tried re-seating the CPU 3 times, making sure I've put it in the guide rails and fully down in the rails, in between times I couldn't see any out of place pins (mind you with around 4000 of them it's kinda hard to tell).

The Ram is 2 packets of G.Skill Flare-X F4-3200C14D-16GFX 16GB (2x8GB) Ryzen DDR4, so 4x8GB Total, I can't test the ram in another system, as I have no other systems that can use DDR4.

This isn't the first rig I've built, and when I do build one I'm really careful with what I do, so I would like to think I didn't do anything to damage the system while it was being built. I am wondering if something got damaged while shipping, Australia Post aren't known for being careful with their packages.

I will attach a video showing what's happening, I doubt it'll be any help though. BTW the same thing (nothing) happens with and without ram.
https://youtu.be/uPV0xt1al1Y

I looked at the video, it seems your board has power because the lights came on, either your CPU is not seated properly or the board is broken and needs to be RMA'd.

IM3CPO
Level 7
I watched the video and agree with vsimone67. I would bet your CPU is not seated correctly or you have bent socket pins..