cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith Extreme, 1950x and 128GB RAM. Wont post!

IM3CPO
Level 7
I have a Zenith Extreme motherboard and a 1950x Threadripper. I purchased a 128GB Corsair PC3000 Memory kit (CMK128GX4M8B3000C16 ) from NewEgg that according to them, was compatible with Threadripper. Bottom line is if all 8 modules are installed, the system wont post. OLED displays "memory" for a few seconds, then the system automatically resets and keeps doing this in an infinite loop. If I use only 4 modules, then the system works perfectly fine (even at PC3000 XMP speeds). I have all power connectors to the motherboard populated and am using an eVGA 1600 T2 power supply. I have tried using 4 modules, going into EUFI than hard setting Memory to "AUTO", "XMP and using the profile", and "PC2100". All settings do the exact same thing. I have also tried hitting the "safe settings" button on the motherboard and it too behaves the same way.

Anyone have any ideas on what i can do to get this running with all modules installed?

Here is a link to the memory at NewEgg:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233968
19 REPLIES 19

IM3CPO wrote:
Wanted to report in that I tried todays UEFI BIOS (0601). Flashed to 0601, cleared CMOS, went into UEFI and changed command rate to T2, installed remaining 4 RAM modules and system would still behave as before (infinite loop: Memory D0). If I removed modules closest to CPU, the remaining 6 modules would post, but memory would only work in recovery mode and would not survive a system reset.

In summary, the newest BIOS/UEFI behaves exactly the same as all the other revisions for me.

Have you tried upping the ram voltage? Up it to 1.35v and up your SoC to 1.25-1.3.

Don't use XMP, there are still a ton of bugs to be worked out. Up your voltage and input your timings manually. I did this to mine and my buddies PC both with the same 128 kit of ram you have. Now both are stable and both gave the same error that you are having. Although I never had to re-seat ram on either board.

Running BIOS 9960, also can't get anything more than 64GB working. I have the Fury Hyper-X, HX426C16FRK4. I know that more than 64GB isn't supported in the QVL, but wondering if there's anything I can try?

Cheers,

hexag wrote:
Running BIOS 9960, also can't get anything more than 64GB working. I have the Fury Hyper-X, HX426C16FRK4. I know that more than 64GB isn't supported in the QVL, but wondering if there's anything I can try?

Cheers,

Wanted to let you know I also tried another BETA BIOS released by an ASUS guy over at overclocker.net. It also does not work with anything over 4 modules installed (for me). Corsair claims my 128GB kit should work. Also, newegg lists my kit as working (which i swhy I got it in the first place). Still not able to get the whole kit working.

Have you considered the possibility of bad RAM?

tekkerson wrote:
Have you considered the possibility of bad RAM?

Already swapped them around to test this.

IM3CPO
Level 7
Thanks for the input, I will give that a shot (keeping fingers crossed that it works). I had only tried base CMOS reset settings and XMP.

Questions: when you manually set the memory timings, did you set them to the XMP profile settings? Also, what speed did you run the RAM at? Thanks!

EDIT: Tried manually setting memory timings and tried both PC-2666 and PC-2993 settings (100mhz base CPU bus speed). Also manually set the memory voltage to 1.35, manually set timings, set soc to both 1.25 and 1.35. Still got exactly the same behavior/results as previously (infintate Memory D0).

What BIOS revision are you using? And could you potentially take screen shots of all the settings you are changing? Just want to make sure I am not overlooking something obvious.

The only other things that may be playing an issue here is cooling. I am still waiting on an EK water block so in the meantime I am stuck using a Thermaltake AIO watet cooler. When I had the voltages set to what you recommended (with 4 memory modules installed) I was already hitting 73C in the BIOS. I have to underclock my CPU core voltage (to 1.1v) and am only running at 2500mhz to keep things under control. Its possible the thermal compound didnt get a good spread. Other thing I could do is go into Q-control and up the fans as under stock settings (which they are now) they dont move much air.

thegovernment
Level 7
Whatever the newest bios is, can't remember the number lol.
I don't use xmp at all, PC won't boot. Also, for whatever reason, leaving my voltage on auto was giving my chip 1.5v and I'm gonna bet yours is doing the same.
I manually put the multiplier to 3.8, cpu voltage manually to 1.31(just to start)
My system wouldn't even boot on stock auto (pretty dumb huh! Lol). It wouldnt
hurt to give it a try at this point.

IM3CPO
Level 7
By newest BIOS, do you mean the newest BIOS on the ASUS website or the one posted in this forum? Can you tell me what you have your memory speed set to (PC-2666, etc)? My water block is supposed to show up on the 5th, so I wont have to wait for much longer to really give this the full college try.

Thanks again for your help and its good to know others were able to get my exact setup working! 😉

thegovernment
Level 7
Bios 9964. http://www.overclock.net/t/1636566/asus-rog-zenith-extreme-x399-threadripper-overclocking-support/26...

If you got the front page, the beta and new bois's get posted there.

I run mine at 3200 2t timings. Though my buddy's will run 3200 1t and we have the same everything lol

eco_bach
Level 7
Apparently AMD Ryzen does NOT offer memory dividers for either 3000Mhz or 3400Mhz. Perhaps that is the issue?
https://youtu.be/sLm57m_bKb8?t=373