cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith Extreme, 1950x and 128GB RAM. Wont post!

IM3CPO
Level 7
I have a Zenith Extreme motherboard and a 1950x Threadripper. I purchased a 128GB Corsair PC3000 Memory kit (CMK128GX4M8B3000C16 ) from NewEgg that according to them, was compatible with Threadripper. Bottom line is if all 8 modules are installed, the system wont post. OLED displays "memory" for a few seconds, then the system automatically resets and keeps doing this in an infinite loop. If I use only 4 modules, then the system works perfectly fine (even at PC3000 XMP speeds). I have all power connectors to the motherboard populated and am using an eVGA 1600 T2 power supply. I have tried using 4 modules, going into EUFI than hard setting Memory to "AUTO", "XMP and using the profile", and "PC2100". All settings do the exact same thing. I have also tried hitting the "safe settings" button on the motherboard and it too behaves the same way.

Anyone have any ideas on what i can do to get this running with all modules installed?

Here is a link to the memory at NewEgg:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233968
19 REPLIES 19

legendarypoet
Level 7
Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS, or is it still the factory BIOS?

legendarypoet wrote:
Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS, or is it still the factory BIOS?

I was on the latest released BIOS from ASUS website but noticed newer BETA BIOS's on the sticky section. I accidentally updated to 9964 (was trying to get 9980); 9964 gave me the same results as before, but going to give 9980 a shot now. Also, my board used to not display a QQ code on the OLED display. I updated that to the revisions also included in the sticky and I now get QQ codes! The code I am getting is "Memory D0". Again, I am going to try 9980 now and give that a shot.

IM3CPO
Level 7
OK- I tried out the 9980 and I still get the "Memory D0" QQ code when using 8 modules. Was running the Memory at "AUTO" which I believe is 2133.

Raja
Level 13
The latest build is 9910. Its the one at the top of the sticky thread.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The latest build is 9910. Its the one at the top of the sticky thread.

The link for the 9910 at teh top of the screen is broken....

EDIT:
I was able to fix the link and download the file. Will give it a shot.

EDIT 2:

Successfully flashed to 9910. Same exact situation. Still get Memory D0 when more than 4 modules installed.

I started putting together my build last night and faced the same issue. I am using 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix modules. I couldn't boot with all 8. After much frustration, I went through the modules 1 by 1 in the slot order recommended in the manual, powering it on between each dimm to isolate the issue. The board seemed ultra sensitive to how they were seated compared to any other board I've built in the last 15 years. I had to re-seat multiple modules multiple times otherwise I got the same behavior you originally described - " OLED displays 'memory' for a few seconds, then the system automatically resets and keeps doing this in an infinite loop"

Fortunately after about an hour of fiddling with it, it worked. Maybe trying seating them one-by-one and retrying if it fails. Worked for me at least.

starlightknight wrote:
I started putting together my build last night and faced the same issue. I am using 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix modules. I couldn't boot with all 8. After much frustration, I went through the modules 1 by 1 in the slot order recommended in the manual, powering it on between each dimm to isolate the issue. The board seemed ultra sensitive to how they were seated compared to any other board I've built in the last 15 years. I had to re-seat multiple modules multiple times otherwise I got the same behavior you originally described - " OLED displays 'memory' for a few seconds, then the system automatically resets and keeps doing this in an infinite loop"

Fortunately after about an hour of fiddling with it, it worked. Maybe trying seating them one-by-one and retrying if it fails. Worked for me at least.

I can definitely second that. I had to reseat the ram a bunch of times. Spent about 15 mins trying to get more than 4 working. I forgot about that since I had more trouble with the #1 torx screw.

IM3CPO
Level 7
I kinda sorta made some progress, but in the end its one step forward one step backwards.

I tried a method similar to what you described. I got to the point where I had 4 working modules (like I previously had) then I added two more modules in the slots the manual said to put them in. I got the exact same symptoms I always ran into previously. I tried removing one of the recently added modules, switching it from one side to the other, having both modules installed but swapped sides, using the memory safe settings, resetting CMOS etc., and while I was able to get the OLED to display a different error at random intervals, it still would not post.

Then just for kicks, I put the 5th and 6th module into B2 and D2 rather than C2 and A2 (which is incorrect according to the manual) and while it initially behaved the same way, after I reset the BIOS the system reset itself a couple times but eventually it *DID* post and I was able to get into the UEFI. It showed 98 GB memory and was running at 2666. I tried adding the additional two modules, and got the same Memory D0 and infinite loop scenario. I took the inner 2 modules out (again, which is incorrect according to the manual) and I was able to post again.

I loaded optimized settings and changed some settings so I could boot (I am using NVME) and the system went back to not posting again. If I got the system to post any subsequent change and reset of the system would result in it not posting again.

So looks like I am still faced with a BIOS memory compatibly issue here.....

I went back to 4 moduiles and its running like a champ again... Hopefully a new UEFI with more memory compatibilty comes out soon!

IM3CPO
Level 7
Wanted to report in that I tried todays UEFI BIOS (0601). Flashed to 0601, cleared CMOS, went into UEFI and changed command rate to T2, installed remaining 4 RAM modules and system would still behave as before (infinite loop: Memory D0). If I removed modules closest to CPU, the remaining 6 modules would post, but memory would only work in recovery mode and would not survive a system reset.

In summary, the newest BIOS/UEFI behaves exactly the same as all the other revisions for me.