cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi using WPA2, KRACK-attack

Ljugtomten
Level 9
Hi
Are ASUS working on updating drivers/firmware for the 802.11N/AC and 802.11ad network card to solve the newly disclosed WPA2 weakness?

You can read about it at https://www.krackattacks.com/ including list of CVE's for the exploit.
6 REPLIES 6

Ljugtomten
Level 9
Almost 4K reads of thread but no reply from ASUS yet..

Intel released updated drivers for their current WiFi cards, but I have not seen anything from Qualcomm yet, as the chip on the Zenith Extreme is based upon.
Microsoft has released updates for Windows, the module is updated for many Linux distributions aswell (such as Ubuntu).

Still deadly silent from ASUS, who have several network devices on the market, ranging from access points to wireless network cards.

Ljugtomten wrote:
Almost 4K reads of thread but no reply from ASUS yet...

This is just pure speculation from me, but I've been reading all posts from all threads since I got my board over a month ago and started having issues of my own, and seeing the lack of responses from ASUS, and in most cases even lack of acknowledgement, I'm starting to fear that ASUS now know there are hardware design deficiencies that cannot be corrected by driver/BIOS updates and they don't know how to deal with the situation.

Totally gratuitous speculation at this point so don't take any of this as being real, but seeing how things evolve this has certainly crossed my mind, and as time keeps passing without substantial progress or updates this thought keeps surfacing in my head more and more often. Hopefully that's not the case.

Ljugtomten wrote:
Almost 4K reads of thread but no reply from ASUS yet..

Intel released updated drivers for their current WiFi cards, but I have not seen anything from Qualcomm yet, as the chip on the Zenith Extreme is based upon.
Microsoft has released updates for Windows, the module is updated for many Linux distributions aswell (such as Ubuntu).

Still deadly silent from ASUS, who have several network devices on the market, ranging from access points to wireless network cards.

Hi guys,

ASUS is aware of the recent WPA2 vulnerability issue. We take security and your privacy seriously, so we are working towards a solution as quickly as possible. In the meantime, we want to help clarify the severity of the potential threat, and let our valued customers know the appropriate steps to take in order to avoid being compromised.

Your devices are only vulnerable if an attacker is in physical proximity to your wireless network. We are co-working with chipset vendors and will release patched firmware for affected routers soon. Before new firmware is released, here are a few ways to stay safe:
(1) Only visit HTTPS websites.
(2) Keep your operating system and antivirus software up-to-date.
(3) When in doubt, be safe and use your cellular network or a wired connection (Ethernet) to access the internet.

https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/CHEU-AQNMXY

ASUS was notified on 28 Aug 2017

That is now 2 MONTHS! and nothing.... so I have sold my AC5300 and AC68U and purchased

I have replaced them with UniFi Access Point from Ubiquiti Networks... they also allow use of VLAN for SSID and thus segregation for guest, secure, clearnet, etc.

Bye bye ASUS....

xeromist
Note that the Windows update you mentioned protects you from the exploit.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Note that the Windows update you mentioned protects you from the exploit.

Software updates fix the exploit in Win8/8.x/10. Also - increasingly - on some Android, most linux, all BSD operating systems.
Don't know don't care if this exploit or its fix exists on iOS, lol.
No software fix available (and not going to be available) for Win7 or earlier.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]