cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB/PCIe Performance Issues

ssuski
Level 7
Just got a new Zenith Extreme setup with AMD 1950x processor. Build is lightning fast, but is experiencing some strange USB connectivity issues. We use a secure USB hardware key that is checked by our software at various intervals. During certain testing, this is stressed a significant amount and are seeing both exponentially reduced performance as well as random errors and disconnects. This USB device is used by our company on a daily basis, as well as by thousands of our clients, without issue. We have a new AMD Ryzen machine with an equivalent ASUS ROG motherboard that is not experiencing these issues.

So far I have tried just about every available BIOS (0305, 0503, 0601, 9980, 9906, and 9910) to no avail. I've also tried installing a separate PCIe USB 3.0 card, but experience the same issue (interestingly enough, the card which is PCIe x1 would only work at all if it was in an x16 slot, not the x1 or the x4). Have also tried disabling all other USB ports except for those on the add-on card, but that didn't change anything either.

I've tried the fix that some people were seeing benefits from of disabling and removing 'useplatformclock' via bcdedit, with no change. I've contacted ASUS technical support, but all they seemed to be able to say was "Have you updated drivers, flashed the latest BIOS, and cleared the CMOS?", which I have. Their only other suggestion was to send the board in for repair.

Basically I'm kind of in a wait state right now, hoping it's a BIOS issue that will get patched (flashed 0601 this morning, but the issue persists), or that someone has experienced similar problems so it gets some traction with ASUS. Has anyone else experienced issues related to USB or PCIe expansion performance?
25 REPLIES 25

Thanks for the help mate! Unfortunately I already tried disabling that and it didn't work for me either.

Can somebody please tell me what's wrong with my USB drivers?

Please see this list and tell me what I should change:

I would greatly appreciate help. The problems I have with my USB devices is insane. Disconnecting/reconnecting devices, long boot times and of course that error that says "Unknown USB Device (Device Failed Enumeration".

Thanks!

Mikan02
Level 7
Some last input on the USB ports from me unless something else pops up. 🙂
One odd thing I noticed after updating to 0603.
Maybe it is normal behavior and I think it was same before 0603 too.

But just in case it is not.
Do the AMD USB 3.1 ports (blue SS10 2nd row) use both 3.1 USB drivers and 3.0 USB drivers?
Updating the two AMD USB 3.0 controllers and hubs seems to affect either 1st USB (SS) port row
or the 2nd USB (SS10) port row on the IO back panel.

Again maybe it is normal, honestly I am not sure at all.

Here are my problems and observations about USB:

I'm getting USB disconnects from USB 3.0 ports when using my external USB 3.0 hard drives. Disconnects almost immediately, between 1 and 10 seconds from connecting (number of seconds not always the same, but it is fast enough to render my drives unusable).

• My two external hard drives are Toshiba Canvio Basic 1 TB, and Patriot Aero Wireless 1 TB. The latter has a built-in battery, and also comes with an AC adapter. Connecting the AC adapter makes no difference, which suggests this isn't an issue of the USB port not giving enough power.
  • Both my external hard drives work as expected when connected to my laptop, ruling out an issue with the drives (would have been surprising to have two defective drives anyways).
  • This does not occur when plugged in USB2.0 or USB 3.1 ports, only USB 3.0; affects all USB 3.0 slots, both back panel and front panel.
  • Only happens with my external hard drives: USB thumb drives, printer, monitor USB passthrough, mouse, keyboard are all connected to USB 3.0 ports and no issues were seen.
  • UEFI vs Legacy mode in BIOS makes no difference, and any other USB-related BIOS setting either.
  • These problems happen with the default (Optimized defaults) BIOS settings and on a fresh reformat + Windows 10 install, and is already an issue immediately after the very first logon to Windows after a fresh Windows install, before having installed anything. Still an issue after having installed all chipset drivers too.
  • As suggested earlier (loosely following posts 9, 11, 15 from this thread), I force-installed the Windows 7 USB 3.0 drivers from the chipset driver package. With those installed, I no longer get any disconnect with my external hard drives. However, any file copy/move operation fails with file corruption/file not found errors, so it's not any better in that my drives are still unusable.

I'd like some advice, ideally from ASUS, as to what I should do.
Can a confirmation be obtained that this is either a BIOS and/or driver issue being worked on, or is my board defective and I should look into having it replaced?

leyabe wrote:
Here are my problems and observations about USB:

I'm getting USB disconnects from USB 3.0 ports when using my external USB 3.0 hard drives. Disconnects almost immediately, between 1 and 10 seconds from connecting (number of seconds not always the same, but it is fast enough to render my drives unusable).

• My two external hard drives are Toshiba Canvio Basic 1 TB, and Patriot Aero Wireless 1 TB. The latter has a built-in battery, and also comes with an AC adapter. Connecting the AC adapter makes no difference, which suggests this isn't an issue of the USB port not giving enough power.
  • Both my external hard drives work as expected when connected to my laptop, ruling out an issue with the drives (would have been surprising to have two defective drives anyways).
  • This does not occur when plugged in USB2.0 or USB 3.1 ports, only USB 3.0; affects all USB 3.0 slots, both back panel and front panel.
  • Only happens with my external hard drives: USB thumb drives, printer, monitor USB passthrough, mouse, keyboard are all connected to USB 3.0 ports and no issues were seen.
  • UEFI vs Legacy mode in BIOS makes no difference, and any other USB-related BIOS setting either.
  • These problems happen with the default (Optimized defaults) BIOS settings and on a fresh reformat + Windows 10 install, and is already an issue immediately after the very first logon to Windows after a fresh Windows install, before having installed anything. Still an issue after having installed all chipset drivers too.
  • As suggested earlier (loosely following posts 9, 11, 15 from this thread), I force-installed the Windows 7 USB 3.0 drivers from the chipset driver package. With those installed, I no longer get any disconnect with my external hard drives. However, any file copy/move operation fails with file corruption/file not found errors, so it's not any better in that my drives are still unusable.

I'd like some advice, ideally from ASUS, as to what I should do.
Can a confirmation be obtained that this is either a BIOS and/or driver issue being worked on, or is my board defective and I should look into having it replaced?

I have a WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device (Western Digital 1TB) connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports and have never experienced any disconnects regardless of UEFI versions (currently running 0801).

User ssuki had similar problems as you with a HW-dongle: https://community.amd.com/thread/220082

Ljugtomten wrote:
I have a WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device (Western Digital 1TB) connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports and have never experienced any disconnects regardless of UEFI versions (currently running 0801).

Interesting, looks like I might have a real hardware issue with my board then. I'll contact support. Thanks for your feedback.

As an update, in my case the problem was one of my external HDD USB 3.0 cables. I bought a new cable and everything is fine now.
I would still note that the cable that was giving me issues when plugged in USB 3.0 ports had no problems when plugged in USB 2.0 or USB 3.1 ports, and also absolutely no issues when plugged in USB 3.0 ports of two other computers with different motherboards. For some reason, that specific USB 3 cable does not like the USB 3.0 ports from the Zenith Extreme motherboard.
Anyways, problem solved but because it's not happening on other PC's I still think the motherboard has something to do with it, at least in part.
Furthermore, I said I bought a new USB 3.0 cable but in fact I bought a 2-pack (2 of the same cable), and I noticed that one of the two cables consistently gives me a slower file copy speed from my external hard drive. 20-25 MB/s compared to 5-10 MB/s. Again this points to something in the motherboard which makes it very picky about USB 3.0 cables.