cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning Off/Controlling the VRM fan?

Enad1
Level 7
Hi all, as the title states, I'm looking for a way to turn off or control the VRM fan on the Zenith Extreme. It's extremely loud in an otherwise silent system and it's too much to just ignore. If anyone has any information on this, that would be fantastic. I'd rather not have to take apart the whole PC, and undo the IO Shroud just to unplug some 40mm fan. Thanks!
17,492 Views
9 REPLIES 9

Ljugtomten
Level 9
Enad1 wrote:
Hi all, as the title states, I'm looking for a way to turn off or control the VRM fan on the Zenith Extreme. It's extremely loud in an otherwise silent system and it's too much to just ignore. If anyone has any information on this, that would be fantastic. I'd rather not have to take apart the whole PC, and undo the IO Shroud just to unplug some 40mm fan. Thanks!


Update to one of the later UEFI versions and the fan curve is much much better 🙂

Ljugtomten wrote:
Update to one of the later UEFI versions and the fan curve is much much better 🙂


Okay I'll try that, I just got the system setup so I haven't updated yet.

gupsterg
Level 13
You could raise the lower temperature limit of COV Fan in UEFI so it came on later. So far for me 65C is working well.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel


R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB


24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
You could raise the lower temperature limit of COV Fan in UEFI so it came on later. So far for me 65C is working well.


what does this means? can you explain me it please?
do this means that the fan is at 0rpm until 65C and then it spin on?

is there a way to set it silent until full cpu load?

sblantipodi wrote:
what does this means? can you explain me it please?
do this means that the fan is at 0rpm until 65C and then it spin on?

is there a way to set it silent until full cpu load?


bumping the question.

gupsterg wrote:
You could raise the lower temperature limit of COV Fan in UEFI so it came on later. So far for me 65C is working well.

sblantipodi wrote:
what does this means? can you explain me it please?
do this means that the fan is at 0rpm until 65C and then it spin on?

is there a way to set it silent until full cpu load?


I used use the "Allow Fan Stop" feature when I posted that information. So what happens this is until the VRM reaches the "COV Fan Lower Temperature" the COV Fan (ie VRM Fan) will not start spinning.

Now I do not use "Allow Fan Stop" feature. I still use a lowered "COV Fan Lower Temperature" from UEFI defaults, I set 60C. As I also use a lowered COV Fan Min. Duty Cycle (%) the COV fan is not noticeable for noise.

Below is settings I have been using for COV fan for several months now.

75649
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel


R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB


24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
I used use the "Allow Fan Stop" feature when I posted that information. So what happens this is until the VRM reaches the "COV Fan Lower Temperature" the COV Fan (ie VRM Fan) will not start spinning.

Now I do not use "Allow Fan Stop" feature. I still use a lowered "COV Fan Lower Temperature" from UEFI defaults, I set 60C. As I also use a lowered COV Fan Min. Duty Cycle (%) the COV fan is not noticeable for noise.

Below is settings I have been using for COV fan for several months now.

75649


thanks bro...

I have seen that AMD is going to launch X499 on january, really in doubt if get Threadripper now or wait some months.

Wobbler
Level 7
"newer" bios versions have the "cover" fan off until 70 degrees or so, now for some reason the ext fans are dc instead of pwm so noise is loud until I change those and fine tuning the fan curves to 50% until everything is cooking (70c) helps aswell.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I have to say, my fan has never once spun up...probably best to get some airflow over VRM area and then the fan wont have to come on 🙂