cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow boot and wake times

deschain94
Level 7
Hi, does anyone else experience slow boot times as well a longer than usual wake up times with the Asus Zenith Extreme x399 mobo and AMD Threadripper CPUs? This is the first build I'm experiencing that and it just looks like it takes a long time to even just have a signal to the monitor before the Asus logo appears during boot. Same thing happens when waking up the PC, it'll take about 20-30 seconds to see my desktop. It's ridiculous and I'm wondering if it's BIOS related or if there's even some setting I need to change in the BIOS. I'd be thankful for any assistance but if not, it's something I can just live with.

Thanks,
Jon.
6 REPLIES 6

Ljugtomten
Level 9
If it's slow, depends on what you compare it to.
Comparing to a consumer laptop with SSD: Yes, Zenith is slow to POST and boot compared to this
Comparing to a blade/standalone server with SAN: No, Zenith is not slow to POST and boot compared to this.

Zenith have a lot of components that needs to initialize before handing off to the operating system.
What actually matters (for me at least) is the speed once the operating system has loaded.

lol, I'm basing it off of years of experience maintaining, building, and developing on PCs. I've had much slower machines post faster with more components, so trust me when I say this one posts and wakes up slow. When my PC is asleep, I could move the mouse in my office to start the wakeup process, walk to my kitchen and pour me a cup of coffee, walk back to the office and sit down, and just *maybe* it'll be awake by then. The only difference between this PC and all the others I've owned, worked on, built, is that this one is my first AMD build. So, who knows it's probably just AMD related or something.

Granted, Windows runs speedy and no problems anywhere else in the system. I've just never experienced such slow post or wakeup times before. I was hoping it wasn't just me, I'm learning to just live with it.

Jon.

BigJob
Level 10
Looks like you got a bad board Jon. This is based on the other threads that have posted similar issues. I would RMA it and get another. The situation you describe should not be happening. Try updating to latest bios and all that stuff ( I assume you already did this).

Similar but not the exact issue https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96253-Extremely-long-BIOS-time

Exact issue https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98767-Issue-With-Start-Up-Time-Windows-Logon-Doesnt-Displa...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96660-Windows-10-Loading-Screen-Freeze-Threadripper-1950X-...

I pray I don't have the same happen to me when I get mine back.

Yes, I'm using the latest 0902 firmware from Asus. Thanks for the info on the other threads. While not exactly like my issue it helps to know I'm not nuts, lol.

I assume from your last statement you sent off your mobo for a replacement? Maybe I should wait and see how that works for you before I decide to do the same. Could you post your findings when you do get it back and have it up and running? Thanks, Jon.

deschain94 wrote:
Yes, I'm using the latest 0902 firmware from Asus. Thanks for the info on the other threads. While not exactly like my issue it helps to know I'm not nuts, lol.

I assume from your last statement you sent off your mobo for a replacement? Maybe I should wait and see how that works for you before I decide to do the same. Could you post your findings when you do get it back and have it up and running? Thanks, Jon.

My mobo is due sometime this week, maybe Wed or Thurs. The tracking doesn't show it shipped out yet but a label was created... I will update you after I receive & test it.

And before you RMA, you should know, it will take upwards of 23 calendar days including shipping per RMA. I have lost over 40 days + so far waiting on 2 RMAs.

Zenith RMAs take longer as not that many repair techs available to repair it and they don't have the parts or components readily avail as it's a new mobo and due to lack of ample replacements available at the repair facility.

So if you are going to RMA (and you should as that mobo's startup is flawed), make sure you have a backup pc in hand unless you don't mind waiting around for 23 or more days.

But by the way how did you set your 2 drives up? Is there a chance it may be the drives them selves? I see one M.2 and one sata 3, which m.2 slot did you use (dimm.2 card?)? Which one is the boot drive?

Sorry, didn't see the last question until now.

My M.2 drive is installed directly on the mobo behind the logo shield, I'm not using the DIMM.2 card. Yes, my M.2 card is my boot device with Win10 x64 on it, and my SATA drive is my secondary data drive.

Did you get your mobo back yet? Any luck with it?

Jon.