cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 960 pro M.2 + DiMM.2

St4v0
Level 7
I seem to be having a bad time with speeds maxing at 1700 read and write and when i checked Samsung magician it showed PCIe Gen 3 x 2.
According the manual the DiMM.2 card shares bandwidth with the U.2 port next to the sata's.
I've checked bios a number of times and cant find anywhere to disable U.2 to give the DiMM.2 card full bandwidth.
Any help please would be much appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

When you do the benchmarks can you also look at Samsung magician to verify the connection speed please

St4v0 wrote:
When you do the benchmarks can you also look at Samsung magician to verify the connection speed please

Here's what I get in the slot under the heatsink.

Thanks for that.
It seems like I accidentally stumbled across the solution when I took out the ssd which was replaced by the 960.
so from that I can only ghess that the sata ports or some of them share bandwidth with the Dimm.2 riser as well.
it makes no sense at all but its working.

Good to know you got it working. I discovered in the BIOS that my PCI-4 port was set to 4x as well. When trying to switch to 8x, it seemed to try to reboot several times and then switched back to 4x. I'm thinking it's a bug.

capitaltpt wrote:
Good to know you got it working. I discovered in the BIOS that my PCI-4 port was set to 4x as well. When trying to switch to 8x, it seemed to try to reboot several times and then switched back to 4x. I'm thinking it's a bug.

also happening to me, and my actual speed really suck

i have the 2 tb version

For what it's worth, I did fill out a bug report for the x4/x8 issue. We'll see if it gets addressed when (if?) we get a new BIOS.

I have two 960 Pros. One under heatsink and one on DIMM.2

Both run at PCIe x4 in Samsung Magician. I never changed any of the PCIe settings from their default from BIOS 0501 all the to 0801, without issue.

I have issues only when I disable the 'c' something or other, the legacy boot setting. When I disable that, it will not boot to Windows.

caknuckles wrote:
I have two 960 Pros. One under heatsink and one on DIMM.2

Both run at PCIe x4 in Samsung Magician. I never changed any of the PCIe settings from their default from BIOS 0501 all the to 0801, without issue.

I have issues only when I disable the 'c' something or other, the legacy boot setting. When I disable that, it will not boot to Windows.

Caknuckles, Can you confirm if you can change PCI-E 4 from 4x to 8x in the BIOS and have it stick?

capitaltpt wrote:
Caknuckles, Can you confirm if you can change PCI-E 4 from 4x to 8x in the BIOS and have it stick?

I have the same issue. I'm running 3xSamsung 960 Pro in RAID0, 801 BIOS. Last PCIE slot cannot be switched to X8. If I switch it from X4 to X8 I observe the same behavior you described. Board resets a few times and reverts it back to X4. Considering the speed of single 960 Pro, I was expecting 3 of them in RAID0 to do better than the numbers I am getting.

injurer
Level 7
Take a look at this Linus video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzavO5a4OQ

He's actually using 4 NVMe drives. What's important is that you have to balance them because of how the CCXs are interconnected. So I assume with 3 drives you won't be able to get the best result.