cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rough/scratchy audio --> Amplification level [FIX/WORKAROUND]

leyabe
Level 8
Hi,

I am getting rough/scratchy/crackling sound from my onboard sound card. This occurs at any volume level above 50-60% in Windows. In Windows 10, if you go in the Sound control panel the issue is easy to experience by playing the "Asterisk" or "Calendar Reminder" sounds, but I heard it in other sounds too, even listening to music didn't seem right.

Not speaker-related, as it happens with my two different speaker sets, and with my headset too.

I traced the issue back to the amplification level in ASUS's Supreme FX Audio driver.
For me, the Amplification level was set to "Extreme" by default, which is the highest of the three possible levels. Dialing this back to the lowest level, labeled "Performace" in the driver (typo in the driver, not my typo) resolves this issue. With basic ("Performace") amplification no sound distortion is heard.

As additional information, I found that not installing the ASUS Audio driver and relying on the Windows 10's built-in driver results in the same issue, and in fact even worse as the Windows driver does not appear to expose an UI to change the amplification level, so you're stuck on "Extreme".
to save everyone's time, the Windows built-in driver does not appear to honor the registry setting where the ASUS driver stores it's amplification level setting either.

Lastly, using the official Realtek driver as opposed to the Windows or the ASUS driver also resolves the issue, as it defaults to the lowest amplification level and not the highest. The Realtek driver does not appear to expose an UI to this setting either, but at least makes my PC sound better, at least in my case.
39 REPLIES 39

Not yet, but will do today (for some reason I wrongly thought the bug report form was only for bugs with the BIOS).

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I'll report this back. Have you entered this into the bug report form?

Yes I did, October 31 at 7:37 PM EST time (GMT -5:00).

By the way, are we supposed to receive feedback or follow-up from those bug reports? I'm asking because I filed 4 bug reports on that evening along with this one, and haven't received any follow-up from any of them.

Thanks!

You can't expect follow up on the reports right now, as most of us are doing this outside of our normal work function. It is being looked at and worked on. This issue just got replicated internally (the AMP setting not sticking), I'll let you know here if we have a fix.

This driver should fix the amplification mode being reset after restart. Can someone try it?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atmpv-6qHr_6mNlkU3s1fBCueS9XfA

elmor wrote:
This driver should fix the amplification mode being reset after restart. Can someone try it?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atmpv-6qHr_6mNlkU3s1fBCueS9XfA

I certainly will, as soon as I get back home tonight. In about 7 hours from now.
Thanks elmor, I'll provide feedback once I've tested it.

Here are my observations from the beta driver:

1) I Installed the beta driver (after uninstalling the previous one first) and it didn't install the control panel "SupremeFX". So, there was no way I could check whether the Amplification level setting was retained after rebooting, because there was no way I could even see the setting itself. The app/control panel that exposes the setting was not even installed.

2) Then I reformatted, reinstalled Windows, and installed the beta driver version 8318, and same result as #1 above was obtained.

3) Then I installed the older driver (version 8219) on top of the beta one you linked (version 8318), and the SupremeFX control panel app was available again, and it did retain the setting after rebooting when I set the Amplification level to "Performace” (and again, as per my OP, there's a typo here, "Performace" should read "Performance"). Relying on my knowledge of how Windows works, I assume installing the older driver installed the SupremeFX control panel as it should, but Windows did not let it overwrite the newer driver files from beta driver v8318, so the new beta driver worked as it should once it was provided with the missing files for a working SupremeFX control panel.

4) When switching my speaker configuration to "5.1 surround" from the default "Stereo", I had no sound from the center and sub channels. I rebooted, and this was resolved, but instead I had no sound from the rear channel. I had to unplug and re-plug the audio jacks and reboot for all speakers to work as expected.

5) After switching to 5.1 Surround mode for my speakers, I also found that the setting did not appear to apply to the front speaker’s channel: The front speakers outputted a much louder volume than the rear/center/sub channels.

6) Installing the other way around, meaning the older driver first (8219), then the beta driver (8318), leaves me without the SupremeFX control panel. Furthermore, it leaves me without speakers. What I mean by this is without the SupremeFX control panel, the only audio driver-related settings I have access to is through the Windows built-in settings themselves i.e. right-click the speaker/volume icon on the system tray, and choose "Playback Devices". When doing this, "Playback Devices" lists all playback devices for my system, but "Speakers" device is missing, leaving me with only the other devices that I don’t typically use.

Martin

EDIT: I'll do further testing. Reformatting again and reinstalling drivers to confirm some of the above observations, and hopefully gather more information (I forgot to monitor what has happening in the registry, etc...)

leyabe wrote:
Here are my observations from the beta driver:

1) I Installed the beta driver (after uninstalling the previous one first) and it didn't install the control panel "SupremeFX". So, there was no way I could check whether the Amplification level setting was retained after rebooting, because there was no way I could even see the setting itself. The app/control panel that exposes the setting was not even installed.

2) Then I reformatted, reinstalled Windows, and installed the beta driver version 8318, and same result as #1 above was obtained.

3) Then I installed the older driver (version 8219) on top of the beta one you linked (version 8318), and the SupremeFX control panel app was available again, and it did retain the setting after rebooting when I set the Amplification level to "Performace” (and again, as per my OP, there's a typo here, "Performace" should read "Performance"). Relying on my knowledge of how Windows works, I assume installing the older driver installed the SupremeFX control panel as it should, but Windows did not let it overwrite the newer driver files from beta driver v8318, so the new beta driver worked as it should once it was provided with the missing files for a working SupremeFX control panel.

4) When switching my speaker configuration to "5.1 surround" from the default "Stereo", I had no sound from the center and sub channels. I rebooted, and this was resolved, but instead I had no sound from the rear channel. I had to unplug and re-plug the audio jacks and reboot for all speakers to work as expected.

5) After switching to 5.1 Surround mode for my speakers, I also found that the setting did not appear to apply to the front speaker’s channel: The front speakers outputted a much louder volume than the rear/center/sub channels.

6) Installing the other way around, meaning the older driver first (8219), then the beta driver (8318), leaves me without the SupremeFX control panel. Furthermore, it leaves me without speakers. What I mean by this is without the SupremeFX control panel, the only audio driver-related settings I have access to is through the Windows built-in settings themselves i.e. right-click the speaker/volume icon on the system tray, and choose "Playback Devices". When doing this, "Playback Devices" lists all playback devices for my system, but "Speakers" device is missing, leaving me with only the other devices that I don’t typically use.

Martin

EDIT: I'll do further testing. Reformatting again and reinstalling drivers to confirm some of the above observations, and hopefully gather more information (I forgot to monitor what has happening in the registry, etc...)

You can install SonicStudio by launching the setup manually at SCD_Install\SonicSuite\Setup_SonicStudio3.exe

elmor wrote:
You can install SonicStudio by launching the setup manually at SCD_Install\SonicSuite\Setup_SonicStudio3.exe

I tried that, and am getting this error (The same error happens trying to install SonicRadar or SonicSuite too.):

I have the same error if i click that .exe but I have the software in my start up task manager

As an update, I'm still getting the same problem (not fixed), and I'm still unable to install the beta driver. Reformatted and clean-reinstalled Windows several times, and still no luck to installing the driver.