cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zenith Extreme (X399, socket TR4) - info, experience, updates

FlanK3r
Level 13

AMD showed new highend chipset named AMD X399, this is specially for HEDT segment of CPUs. Many, many years AMD was not active in this segment. But the RED team is back!! The socket is named TR4, its version of the same size socket for servers, for AMD Epyc processors. This socket/LGA is huge, inside we can count crazy 4096 pins!! But not all these pins are electricaly active (its my idea, why Epyc cant work inside TR4)

CPUs Ryzen Threadrippers will be relase in configurations up to 16C/32T this summer.
Great bonus of this platform are numbers of PCIe 3.0 lines inside the CPU, which it offers 64! CPU and this board has support of quadchannel RAM DDR4 up to capacity 128 GB (I heard, in theory, this CPU can working with more)

MOTHERBOARD

Rights near RAM DIMM slots we can see special slot named DIMM M.2 slot. This special feature you can know from Maximus IX Apex. Its great value for NVMe M.2. Besided Threadripper has direct lines to CPU for NVMe, so lower latency 🙂 Two 8-pins for CPU is needed for serious OC and specially for LN2, switchs to PCIe slots, voltage measuring points, buttons start+reset and more. Example front USB3.1

SATAs and also U.2 port

In same wawe as Rampage X299, there is dash board for information about frequency, temperatures, speed of fan etc...Nice bonus is special LAN card ROG Aerion 10GB/s

Integrated IO shield, buttons for CLR CMOS, BIOS Flashback, backlighting of audio outputs, USB3, USB3.1 and looking at the Wi-Fi! This Wi-Fi support last standard 802.11ad!

At the board are features for driving your fans, cooling, include wattercooling and of course, dont forget at RGB AURA/AURA Sync or 3D print supopor.
Im looking forward sooooo muuuuch and promise, LN2 OC results coming 🙂

video from Linus (ah, this is the guy who broked few pins in socket ,-D)
Who knows me, knows me ;)....AMD 3000+, AMD x2 4600+ EE, AMD X4 955 BE C2,2x AMD X4 965 BE C3, AMD X4 970 BE C3, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD x6 1100T BE, 2x AMD FX-8120, 2x AMD FX-8150, FX-6300, FX-8300, FX-8320E, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, FX-8370E, FX-9370, FX-9590, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, A8-5600K, A10-5800K, A10-6800K, A10-7850K, A10-7870K, A 5150, Athlon x4 860K, Intel i7-5960X, i7-6700K, Intel i7-4770K, Intel i7-980x, Intel i7 2600k, Intel i7-3770K, i7-3930K.
118 REPLIES 118

Jeremey wrote:
HardOCP mention here https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/08/10/amd_ryzen_threadripper_1950x_1920x_cpu_review/8 that they had issues with the nvidia Titan (kepler) cards when the drivers were installed.

Is there any known info if the later Bios versions correct this ??

I can confirm that the Titan (kepler) cards do not work I couldn't even boot up with one installed and i have 4 of them:(
Titen X ,980ti and 1080ti work fine hope this helps people

wizz12345 wrote:
I can confirm that the Titan (kepler) cards do not work I couldn't even boot up with one installed and i have 4 of them:(
Titen X ,980ti and 1080ti work fine hope this helps people

HardOCP's cards did POST according to the article. With that being the case, I'm wondering if this is a Gen 3.0 issue. These cards had such issues on X79, too. As you have some working GPUs, you can always force Gen 2.0 in the UEFI and see if the Kepler cards then work. If it's not that, given some cards do POST and others only have issue at the driver layer, could also be a VBIOS issue.

I put together my Zenith + 1950x last night 🙂

I unfortunately have struggled with two frustrating issues:

1) I have a Inateck USB PCIe Expansion Card (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPIMICA/ref=psdc_284717_t2_B00FPIMJEW) that I need working despite there being an abundance of USB ports on the back of the board (basically, for PCIe Passthrough to a KVM for native dedicated ports for those technically inclined that are curious). The Zenith Extreme refuses to boot with this card installed, even though it works fine with two other boards I have on hand. The second its put in the Zenith the board hangs on code B4 - Load VGA BIOS.

Tried the following:
a) Update to latest BIOS 0503 (didn't help. latest beta BIOS link is broken in the sticky)
b) Tried moving PCIe slots. Happens in any slot.
c) Tried removing all other PCIe cards other than the GPU and this one. Doesn't help.
d) Tried disabling non-essential onboard devices in case of conflict. Doesn't help
e) Tried toggling preferring UEFI/Drivers/CSM options - doesn't help
f) Tried toggling legacy USB support, doesn't help

Any advice on this is appreciated, as this was really frustrating.

2) The Zenith Extreme seems to be randomly losing my boot drive order. Several times upon rebooting, I end up in the bios from no bootable drives on the list and I have to set the right drive manually again. This may be related to that I'm using an 8-port PCIe SATA Card in conjunction with the onboard ports (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B0Z2I4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The only things I've noticed is that when this happens and I change the order back to how it should be, the BIOS doesn't recognize me as having made any changes when I hit save and exit. Despite this, it does save.... for awhile. I haven't noticed any commonalities in what causes it to lose it - sometimes it just a normal reboot.

starlightknight wrote:

1) I have a Inateck USB PCIe Expansion Card (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPIMICA/ref=psdc_284717_t2_B00FPIMJEW) that I need working despite there being an abundance of USB ports on the back of the board (basically, for PCIe Passthrough to a KVM for native dedicated ports for those technically inclined that are curious). The Zenith Extreme refuses to boot with this card installed, even though it works fine with two other boards I have on hand. The second its put in the Zenith the board hangs on code B4 - Load VGA BIOS.

Tried the following:
a) Update to latest BIOS 0503 (didn't help. latest beta BIOS link is broken in the sticky)
c) Tried removing all other PCIe cards other than the GPU and this one. Doesn't help.
d) Tried disabling non-essential onboard devices in case of conflict. Doesn't help

I have this same exact issue. I hope someone has a fix, or this can be fixed with a BIOS update. I also have a Inateck and also another brand (Allegro Pro). Both have the same issue as if the motherboard is detecting them as VGA cards.

starlightknight wrote:

Tried the following:

Any advice on this is appreciated, as this was really frustrating.

2) The Zenith Extreme seems to be randomly losing my boot drive order. Several times upon rebooting, I end up in the bios from no bootable drives on the list and I have to set the right drive manually again. This may be related to that I'm using an 8-port PCIe SATA Card in conjunction with the onboard ports (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B0Z2I4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The only things I've noticed is that when this happens and I change the order back to how it should be, the BIOS doesn't recognize me as having made any changes when I hit save and exit. Despite this, it does save.... for awhile. I haven't noticed any commonalities in what causes it to lose it - sometimes it just a normal reboot.

I'm sad to say that this build has turned into an absolute disaster for me. Between the breaking bios bugs with my PCIe cards, spending forever coaxing the board into booting with 8 DIMMs, and the fact that AMD-V/IOMMU/SVM virtualization is basically completely broken and unusable on the Threadripper at the moment (seemingly common regardless of motherboard), I'm left with a very expensive machine that is basically completely unusable for the purpose I bought it for. After wasting the last 48 hours on trying to get this thing to work properly, I'm basically having to consider rolling back to my previous CPU/MB in order to get things done. If I do, that'll be the first time in the last 20 years that this had to happen.

Lots of information on the IOMMU issues here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6vbe6w/threadripper_broken_on_linux_for_pci_passthrough/ (I am not the poster, but I hit the exact some issues).

For an asking price of $549 on the motherboard and $999 on the processor, this is not leaving me with a good early impression, especially for such expensive and high end parts. I understand that there will always be bugs early on, but a lot of these issues are the same ones that the normal Ryzen hit early on in its release. AMD eventually released the AGESA 1006 update which had to be combined with a BIOS update to address these issues. I would have expected AMD & Partners to have learned from that experience and for this round to be better - especially since a Threadripper is basically two glued together Ryzens on a big chip, and the HEDT version is actually suited/targeted for the workstation usage that this functionality is most critical for. I was very much looking forward to having 16 cores and all those PCIe lanes, and I was ready and willing to pay the premium for it. Coming from the 6-core 6800K i was expecting this to be a big improvement for my usage, with much more available processing power. Unfortunately, these blocking issues are preventing me from taking advantage of it 😞

Here's to hoping BIOS and driver fixes come in soon....

@ASUS - if any additional info would help in fixing this issues, let me know. I'll provide anything needed.

that's great
Dont worry AMDguru, ROG has new one Crosshair VI Extreme for AM4 ...But there is thread about HEDT TR4 chipset motherboards
طراحی سایت

Mikan02
Level 7
Got everything yesterday:)
Bumped into same issue with the socket that I linked in previous post,
think I used 20 min or so just to make all 3 screws enter properly.
Make sure to not release pressure on 1 when going to 2 (equal pressure top and bottom). 😛

There are clearly some SLI issue that Nvidia needs to look at with X399 too,
at lower resolutions GPU load drops to much, but at 2160p it is normal lol
6950X @4.2/3.2 (Just custom fan profile on GPU´s and power limit set to 120%) 13992
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13343453
1950X stock CPU/D.O.C.P. memory (Memory Access Mode -> Local, Legacy Compatibility Mode -> Off (AMD Ryzen Master)) 13979
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13399909

I already filled a feedback form to Nvidia.

--

Currently on 9964 beta but only set to D.O.C.P. since everything is kinda new.^^
It auto set memory to 14-14-14-34-1T and seems to work fine, no boot issues.

Noticed when looking at AIDA64 that the VRM temp
and one of the voltages CPU VDD I think.. behaves slightly odd sometimes.
Super short but very high spikes, totally random and makes no sense.

I did the Livedash/AURA FW update, went fine. Really like the Livedash. ^^

Used a H115i Corsair, but Link software does not use offset temp yet so it is slightly loud.
But seems to work fine. I reported this to Corsair.

Some silly questions:
Is it only Ryzen Master that can change additional control options like
simultaneous multithreading, extreme software acceleration, memory access mode
and legacy compatibility mode?

And is chipset driver on support page custom , if not can I use these?
Wondering how different the new power plan is.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

Back to more testing I guess^^

Mikan02
Level 7
My Zenith and 1950X @4125 sync got 30115 Fire Strike physics score. 🙂
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13404184

Mikan02
Level 7
CB15 CPU test - 1950X @4125^^

Mikan02
Level 7
Fire Strike Ultra 15043
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13413036

Fire Strike Extreme 25192 (Could be better I think if Nvidia fixes the SLI issue at lower resolutions.)
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13413486