cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zenith Extreme wont power up.. Help?

InStY
Level 7
So im new to building computer. Weell almost new to it. I've builded some before but been lucky enough to not have any big problems except the one i have now.

Just got done installing the motherboard and stuff (Specs at the bottom) and for some reason i cant start my computer.
When i first plugged in the power cable and switched on the power button on my psu, the RGB lights on the motherboard turned on (dont know if its supposed to do that).
And the Front power button on my case and the Start button on the motherboard didnt work either (worked on my old components).
Checked the wires for the front power button and everything is correctly connected.

I also started up the psu with the 24pin tool to see if there was any problem with the psu but everything that was connected got power.
The two cpu 8pins was connected to the motherboard when i tested the psu and the rgb lights on the motherboard turned on.
Connected a speaker to the motherboard to see if it was any problems but i cant even get the motherboard to start the rest of the components so no beeping there.
I think its the psu or something that causes the problem but im not an expert so please try to stop me before i buy me a new expensive one.
NEW: after some reading about psu i dont think the problem is the psu... now im lost.

What can be the problem?
If you guys know something then please share. 😮

My specs: (also the specs i used first time i powered it up)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Asus ROG Zenith Extreme X399
EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb*2 3000MHz
EVGA Supernova 850 G2 850w
HyperX 240gb SSD

49 REPLIES 49

BigJob wrote:
Do you have the graphics cards plugged in? Take those off and use the on board video. This will narrow the problem down further.

Threadripper does not have "onboard video" ....
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
Threadripper does not have "onboard video" ....

Oops sorry about that, you're right! ahahaha I remember an asus rep telling me there was an on board video for the x399 when I had issues with my DP ports. I spent 5 minutes looking for it and couldn't find it and he insisted it was there and that I should look again before the next trouble shooting step.

Strykewave
Level 7
I’m going to go exchange the board today. My concern is what’s the cause of this if I get another board hook it back up and the same thing happens I’d be on the verge of insanity. So any ideas fellas what would cause this? Bad cpu? I tested the power supply it came on powered the fans and water pump just fine. Idk what else it could be.

Strykewave wrote:
I’m going to go exchange the board today. My concern is what’s the cause of this if I get another board hook it back up and the same thing happens I’d be on the verge of insanity. So any ideas fellas what would cause this? Bad cpu? I tested the power supply it came on powered the fans and water pump just fine. Idk what else it could be.

Since your mobo isn't starting up here's a list of what it can possibly be :

1) Bad power supply - but you said your power supply works and it's very rare for a power supply to not work any how

2) bad motherboard - might just be a bad motherboard since it's not outputting what ever power is being signaled to it

3) bad connections - maybe bad connection with the wires from case wires to mobo, or bad connection from power supply to mobo or bad connection from power supply to case wires

I don't think it's a bad cpu because even in the rare chance that the cpu is bad the mobo would have started up. Be prepared to wait 20 days + for your repair mobo to come back.

There is a Bug after 804 that was introduced

If a storage device is plugged into the back I/O ports then the data can not be read even through uefi flashback tool

If the tool is tried to be used the board will brick and only turning the power on and off (unplugged) for 5 min+ will correct the issue

Its basically caused by unclean programming of the UEFI -- after garbage collect I was able to install the new uefi but the USB storage bug still remains

don't know if you have a variant of this bug -- but after I have found the board power button not responding unplugging for 5 min corrects the problem

(not everyone experiences this bug)

Strykewave wrote:
Microcenter swaps the board out the same day and handles the rma on there end . I left it with the tech there it’s gone over my head and I can’t keep throwing money at it. Thanks for the help I will post wha happened for future reference. Thanks guys.

I think this is best course of action.

Cory29 wrote:
There is a Bug after 804 that was introduced

If a storage device is plugged into the back I/O ports then the data can not be read even through uefi flashback tool

If the tool is tried to be used the board will brick and only turning the power on and off (unplugged) for 5 min+ will correct the issue

Its basically caused by unclean programming of the UEFI -- after garbage collect I was able to install the new uefi but the USB storage bug still remains

don't know if you have a variant of this bug -- but after I have found the board power button not responding unplugging for 5 min corrects the problem

(not everyone experiences this bug)

Going by the OCN bug thread there doesn't seem to be many that have that bug.

I've had my board since launch, I have used many UEFIs and always use flashback.

21/02/18 sitting on UEFI 0019

Later on on the day UEFI 0902

Following day I'm on UEFI 0901

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

Strykewave
Level 7
Microcenter swaps the board out the same day and handles the rma on there end . I left it with the tech there it’s gone over my head and I can’t keep throwing money at it. Thanks for the help I will post wha happened for future reference. Thanks guys.

Strykewave
Level 7
Defective 24 pin connection from manufacturer.

Strykewave wrote:
Defective 24 pin connection from manufacturer.

wow thanks for the update and glad you figured it out.

gupsterg
Level 13
PSU or mobo?

Rereading past posts implies you had issues with the various combos of HW at your disposal.

Strykewave wrote:
Any update on this? I’m having the same issue. Originally had 1500watt thermaltake toughpower psu on ASRock Taichi board. Computer worked for a month then stopped thought power supply died replaced with seasonic 1300watt prime *still just board d lighting up. Replaced mobo to ASUS Rog zenith X399 after the everything was put back together only the leds on the board would light up power button on the board does nothing please help I’m running out of ideas as to why this thing won’t even turn on .

Strykewave wrote:
This computer worked with Taichi motherboard 1500 watt toughpower was going to reinstall windows and in the middle of getting this pc ready it went off and only the lights on the Taichi board would light up the sand as the new ASUS zenith. I tested the psu and the fan did not come in so I purchased a seasonic 1300 watt prime hoping that was the issue. Nothing. So I’m stuck with just the lights on the board lighting up. The ryzen cpu was set to game mode when was doing the windows refresh. The reason I was reinstalling windows because I felt the comp was running slow and hitchy so I wanted to reinstall to see if it helps bring back the swiftness of this machine.

Da Music video