cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zenith Extreme wont power up.. Help?

InStY
Level 7
So im new to building computer. Weell almost new to it. I've builded some before but been lucky enough to not have any big problems except the one i have now.

Just got done installing the motherboard and stuff (Specs at the bottom) and for some reason i cant start my computer.
When i first plugged in the power cable and switched on the power button on my psu, the RGB lights on the motherboard turned on (dont know if its supposed to do that).
And the Front power button on my case and the Start button on the motherboard didnt work either (worked on my old components).
Checked the wires for the front power button and everything is correctly connected.

I also started up the psu with the 24pin tool to see if there was any problem with the psu but everything that was connected got power.
The two cpu 8pins was connected to the motherboard when i tested the psu and the rgb lights on the motherboard turned on.
Connected a speaker to the motherboard to see if it was any problems but i cant even get the motherboard to start the rest of the components so no beeping there.
I think its the psu or something that causes the problem but im not an expert so please try to stop me before i buy me a new expensive one.
NEW: after some reading about psu i dont think the problem is the psu... now im lost.

What can be the problem?
If you guys know something then please share. 😮

My specs: (also the specs i used first time i powered it up)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Asus ROG Zenith Extreme X399
EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb*2 3000MHz
EVGA Supernova 850 G2 850w
HyperX 240gb SSD

49 REPLIES 49

Brand new 1950x on Zenith Extreme build.

I can't get a initial boot to go all the way. I've pull and reseated all ram and now have just one stick in A1 (it's GSKill's 128GB kit with the "X" model number--i.e., slated for Threadripper.

I've flashed BIOS several times trying 0701 and 0801

I've checked my TR seating and pins, all good.

The current error code on motherboard, well there isn't any, it's hung up on "CPU". Previously, I had received a "00 CMOS ERROR" and have also had a couple rounds of "A9 BIOS Setup Menu".

Only thing plugged in is a GTX1050 card with HDMI to monitor.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Now I am getting "Code 90: CHECK CPU"

ramin_rostami
Level 7
100% your ram is wrong , not quad channel

important = 2 single channel ram NOT dual ,,,, 4*dual channel ram NOT quad so you must use real 4 quad channel ram(4 ram in 1 box writen quadchannel on it ) , not 4* dual channell*
(in ryzen cpu you must use only 2*dual channel , never never use 1*single channel ram , your system cant start , even start will give you tiny freeze
on threadripper you cant use 4* dual channel or 4*single channel ram !!!!
example true ram for threadripper (4*quad channel only)
gskill ripjaws4 2800 4*4*

example true ram for ryzen and all other amd
geil evo x 3200 2*8
or
gskill RGB trident z 3200 2*8

NOTE=true slot ??? in AMD you must put ram in exact slot , according your motherboard user manual , so before put ram on ramslot see your mobo true ram slot (wrong slot can make system cant start or crash )

in amd ram is very very very sensetive ,but if you use no1 best ram, you never see even 1 freeze,bluescreen or freeze hang in 1 year !!

850P2!

Please keep us posted as I have a 1200P2 and facing a different but somewhat similar issue in that my PSU doesn't get signaled to turn off the system. I can power it on though all day long.

YOUR LIGHTS GO ON when you plug in the motherboard, what about your fans? Do your CPU fans also start spinning? IF SO THIS MAYBE EXACTLY THE SAME ISSUE I HAVE.

I'm trying to figure out if there is some kind of incompatibility between the SuperNOVA series and the Zenith extreme - wondering if the Erp stuff getting in the way.

Also, make sure you try another PSU if you have access to one.

ramin_rostami wrote:
100% your ram is wrong , not quad channel

important = 2 single channel ram NOT dual ,,,, 4*dual channel ram NOT quad so you must use real 4 quad channel ram(4 ram in 1 box writen quadchannel on it ) , not 4* dual channell*
(in ryzen cpu you must use only 2*dual channel , never never use 1*single channel ram , your system cant start , even start will give you tiny freeze
on threadripper you cant use 4* dual channel or 4*single channel ram !!!!
example true ram for threadripper (4*quad channel only)
gskill ripjaws4 2800 4*4*

example true ram for ryzen and all other amd
geil evo x 3200 2*8
or
gskill RGB trident z 3200 2*8

NOTE=true slot ??? in AMD you must put ram in exact slot , according your motherboard user manual , so before put ram on ramslot see your mobo true ram slot (wrong slot can make system cant start or crash )

in amd ram is very very very sensetive ,but if you use no1 best ram, you never see even 1 freeze,bluescreen or freeze hang in 1 year !!

His issue is the machine won't even start. Let alone POST. Wrong RAM should not prevent the machine from powering up. PERIOD. (it might fail POST or do something strange afterward, but you should get power).

gupsterg
Level 13
Mine is marked as CPU_STATUS as well, I have also seen it not come on, I also have no post issue. I have PM Elmor and hopefully he will clarify on this aspect.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg
Level 13
@leyabe

The manual label is wrong it is as we see on board. The LED will light when the one pin used to detect "bad mount" is not in contact. If that pin is in contact and others may not be the LED will not light up to denote an issue.

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

Thanks, so, are you saying that the LED should light up if there's an issue, but not light up if there's no problem?
As opposed to the manual which says it will light up Red if there's a problem and Green if there isn't?

leyabe wrote:
Thanks, so, are you saying that the LED should light up if there's an issue, but not light up if there's no problem?

NP 🙂 , yes.

leyabe wrote:
As opposed to the manual which says it will light up Red if there's a problem and Green if there isn't?

Correct 🙂 .

Da Music video

Strykewave
Level 7
Any update on this? I’m having the same issue. Originally had 1500watt thermaltake toughpower psu on ASRock Taichi board. Computer worked for a month then stopped thought power supply died replaced with seasonic 1300watt prime *still just board d lighting up. Replaced mobo to ASUS Rog zenith X399 after the everything was put back together only the leds on the board would light up power button on the board does nothing please help I’m running out of ideas as to why this thing won’t even turn on .

Strykewave wrote:
Any update on this? I’m having the same issue. Originally had 1500watt thermaltake toughpower psu on ASRock Taichi board. Computer worked for a month then stopped thought power supply died replaced with seasonic 1300watt prime *still just board d lighting up. Replaced mobo to ASUS Rog zenith X399 after the everything was put back together only the leds on the board would light up power button on the board does nothing please help I’m running out of ideas as to why this thing won’t even turn on .

Can you take pictures of your setup? & list the components? Pictures would expedite the trouble shooting process by a lot.