cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Optane M.2 - BIOS NVME Raid Not Supported on 801 and 804

D8V1D
Level 7
NVME raid for Intel Optane isn't supported on BIOS version 801 and 804.

Was hoping to use (2) 32GB M.2 Intel Optane drive in raid due to their high, low queue depth performance.
Spec: Asus Zenith, 1950x, (2) 32GB Optane

I put all CSM setting to UEFI, then enabled NVME raid.
It reboots and freezes at the screen were you press delete to enter bios.

The motherboard shows, Code:92 Detect HDD error.
You can't even get back into the bios unless you remove the Intel optane drives.
Also tried putting CSM to Disable, same results as above.

Does not even have an option for NVME Raid with Intel Optane.

Windows
NVME raid is possible for Optane drives in Windows using AMD RAIDXpert2, just not bootable.
Seem like it's just a BIOS issue Asus need to fix to support Intel Optane drives.
8 REPLIES 8

D8V1D
Level 7
Still no raid support for Intel Optane drives. BIOS 901 does the same thing as 801. Except this time it will only freeze for about 1 minute before automatically entering the BIOS settings.

I think I figure out the problem though. The Intel Optane drive are only recognize in Legacy mode, or Legacy and UEFI. Once in only UEFI mode, the motherboard doesn't recognize the Optane drives. This is probably why there is a Code:92 Detect HDD error, when enabling NVME raid.

Optane drive are UEFI compatible though. Intel even recommend using them in UEFI mode or disabling CSM. Hopefully ASUS fixes this soon.

Raja
Level 13
Did you build the array on a pre-0801 version of uefi?

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Did you build the array on a pre-0801 version of uefi?

I was on 701 at first, but NVME raid didn't work for Optane drives back then either.

Raja
Level 13
I asked because there's an advisory note that any NVMe RAID array built on pre-0801 builds will need to be re-built when you update the UEFI to 0801 onwards. That may not apply in your case, though.

squawker
Level 11
D8V1D wrote:
NVME raid for Intel Optane isn't supported on BIOS version 801 and 804.

Was hoping to use (2) 32GB M.2 Intel Optane drive in raid due to their high, low queue depth performance.
Spec: Asus Zenith, 1950x, (2) 32GB Optane

It seems it's a Intel problem, not ASUS.

On another Fórum:

"Just heard back from [other motherboard maker] support. They were in contact with AMD and were told that it is not possible to create a optane nvme raid because intel is artificially locking that functionality. The ssd checks for the environment and if there is no intel processor it will lock the hardware in BIOS resulting in the drives appearing offline."

I also tried to put the 4 x 32 GB Optanes in RAID 0, but to no avail.

Still no BIOS Nvme raid support for Intel Optane drives. Same problem as BIOS 901.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

A BIOS update cannot fix this. Intel does not support Optane compatibility for any AMD platform. Intel 200 series and newer chipsets are required.

JustinThyme
Level 13
To compound past Praz's explanation.....the 16 and 32GB Optane sticks are not SSDs, they are cache and while sometimes they can be run as stand alone drives Intel has not had any reservations about saying they do not support that function.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein