cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gather around I have a story to tell...

GODCIN
Level 7
I should start with expressing my love of ASUS but i won't.... we all know their hardware is the shyt so i don't need to reiterate. I decided i deserved a great system. The perfect mix of Power and Functionality. And i hear of this thing called Threadripper, and i was in love. The benchmarks, the size i was ready to build. So i spend a few weeks price stalking and eventually settle on New Egg to make my purchase. 1920x, ROG Zenith Extreme board, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z, GTX 1080, i really tried to stick to what was approved to work with the system.

I get everything Build goes together like no system i have made before. Seemingly issue less. Doesn't boot the first power up after flashing the bios i am in full system configuration mode. OS, fan settings, benchmarking, I was having a blast people... I noticed that if the system was up and i went to sleep that it would be frozen by the am. started checking drivers and checking to see if something was amiss. Found nothing; so assumed, it was OS related. (will be fixed in a patch.) (weeks pass) Then one day i wake up to a frozen system... reboot and now the system won't post. Powers up check the mem, starts to check the memory then restarts the process.. No beep code, no error code, nothing from the LEDs to indicate a problem... sigh

So I call AMD as the board never gets past the CPU portion of the system check process i figure it was the chip. They immediately (without hesitation) start telling me its the board, you may have bent the pins, etc, etc... I ask if the pins were bent why did the system work for nearly a month before failing to boot... (crickets) then he ask have you tried it with another chip..... (MF WHAT!?!? LIKE I HAVE ANOTHER 800$CHIP JUST LAYING AROUND)

Around this time I remember i bough this system from new egg. So you know what i did... hassleless RMA to NEWEGG!. So I get my new items i break the system down. I replace MB and CPU and unlike last board boots up first time. (fatal mistake i should have tried all the configurations now that i had 2 boards and 2 CPU's) Nonetheless i finish the RMA process and i have a system that seems more stable than with the last combo. I was happy... -_-

About 1 month after the RMA to new egg the system started freezing if left on overnight. I was thinking to myself maybe there is a BIOS update (shipped with 0305) updated to 0701. This bios made me clear the CMOS every reboot. So i flashback to 0503 which was more stable.(relatively speaking). We go about another 8 days of no problems (only froze twice in that time period) Gamed on the system all night (star citizen 3.0 PTU release) go to sleep wake up its frozen... Reboot it, and its power cycling like the first MB/CPU.(https://youtu.be/orOHheYLfr8) I flashed the BIOS to 0804, unplug everything, try new ram, pull the CMOS batt, replace the CMOS batt, everything i can think of... and nothing it either gives be the BS boot cycle i had been getting or worse.(power cycle with beeps and errors before mem check.

So now i am in the middle of a RMA process with the board and i am thinking about buying a new board just to test the CPU on as ASUS is telling me they will repair the board and it will be 10 days. (no replacements in stock... allegedly) I am going to have to RMA the CPU as well unless i spend another 500 to get a new board and test the CPU... I'm just defeated at this point... I mean i know the risk of early adoption but usually those problems happen upfront not weeks after the system has been running... (being extra dramatic) I feel like a failure as a system builder. Like somehow this is my fault. Like this isn't my 30th or so build... (being less dramatic) but i have to press on and hope that at some point i will have my system back in working order... not that ASUS or AMD support cares at all...

I am going to have a good cry now...

cheers :(:mad::(
15 REPLIES 15

masterac
Level 8
me too, buddy, my 960 pro is running almost at half speed of what other people get on the same board and i don't know why, and i am not going to buy another 1000 ssd just to check if its the one i have that is having issue.

thats the kind of thing you might get on a 100 euro motherboard, you don't expect it on a 500 euro one.

sometime i also have flicker across my 3 monitor (1080 ti, all 3 have gsync and pluged with DP), its random, sometime it happen when i just GET UP, i dont even touch anything and i dont get it, reinstall everything and it still does it sometime, all 3 of them, going to black then back on.

for me asus is responsible, when you ship out board that have issue with you screwing the cpu onto the motherboard, something bad happen at the manufacturing stage, its funny too because you see review from article with video and they all have the same issue, i mean the minimum when you send a board to the press is tailor it, double triple check its perfect, more than for a customer, since they will write a review about it, and from that thousands of sales will happen.

so when you see the poor standard they have with this, its understandable to see what user like us get.

i will say it again, asus has become the razer of motherboard, all about light , LED and stuff, but hardware and quality control is crap

masterac wrote:
sometime i also have flicker across my 3 monitor (1080 ti, all 3 have gsync and pluged with DP), its random, sometime it happen when i just GET UP, i dont even touch anything and i dont get it, reinstall everything and it still does it sometime, all 3 of them, going to black then back on.

If it's related to movement I'd probably check the cables as one might be bad. One bad cable losing sync could cause an issue across the displays since Windows will try to adjust. Wouldn't even cost anything, just leave one monitor disconnected at at time to see if it makes a difference. Just a thought.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
If it's related to movement I'd probably check the cables as one might be bad. One bad cable losing sync could cause an issue across the displays since Windows will try to adjust. Wouldn't even cost anything, just leave one monitor disconnected at at time to see if it makes a difference. Just a thought.

all monitor are mouted to the wall, nothing touch the table no even the pc that is under it ( not even the table feet) the weirdest part its that its random, havent seen it for a while now

Did you already RMA it? If not post up your memory settings/timers and/or overclocking.
Lots of memory issues with this board. I ran into most of your issues, but a lot of those started going away more and more starting with the 701 bios(Currently running the 902 beta).

804 is a nice bios and you should at least be able to run 3200 speed, but with specific settings, not XMP/DOCP. If anything an awesome starting point are the "Stilts" memory settings in the bios.

Anyways, your not a failure unless you give up! So don't ever give up unless police charges are going to be filed against you. :D:rolleyes:

My settings were default... assuming you were asking me... but as you can see by the video... I cant post.... so yeah fubar... and I haven't given up... but a narcissist like myself belivees that such matters should be in the rhelm of my control ... but its not... i will stop feeling like a failure the second it boots again... maybe a few hours of star citizen or CSS in...

I too get funny random things happen. once and a while no post - I have to completely power off my system for 5 min in order for the board to come back. If I try to do a flash back with a usb and ZE.CAP ... the board will act like its bricked and do nothing. I have had the board since launch (3 RMA's) and every month with new alpha build bios some stuff gets better but allot gets worse.

gupsterg
Level 13
GODCIN wrote:
we all know their hardware is the shyt so i don't need to reiterate.

So as you say we all know above and you go and buy :-

GODCIN wrote:
So i spend a few weeks price stalking and eventually settle on New Egg to make my purchase. 1920x, ROG Zenith Extreme board, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z, GTX 1080, i really tried to stick to what was approved to work with the system.

Where is the sanity in this course of action?

Reading through your post it seems:-

a) you used older UEFIs
b) didn't do OLED FW update

Which could have led to issues experienced.

Anyhow I can only state the ROG ZE board has been spot on since having ~3mths+ now.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
So as you say we all know above and you go and buy :-

Where is the sanity in this course of action?

Reading through your post it seems:-

a) you used older UEFIs
b) didn't do OLED FW update

Which could have led to issues experienced.

Anyhow I can only state the ROG ZE board has been spot on since having ~3mths+ now.

I have all the latest uefi and frimware and aside from booting this board is has been complete crap. The new fun one is after 901 usb storage devices cant be read by the IO there for usb flashback no longer works oopsie.. *also none of the software works /fans/ leds/ wifi/blutooth/ethernet craps out i could keep going but as the board stands right now more then half of what is advertised with it doesn't work in some capacity

Cory29 wrote:
I have all the latest uefi and frimware and aside from booting this board is has been complete crap. The new fun one is after 901 usb storage devices cant be read by the IO there for usb flashback no longer works oopsie.. *also none of the software works /fans/ leds/ wifi/blutooth/ethernet craps out i could keep going but as the board stands right now more then half of what is advertised with it doesn't work in some capacity

My current setup:-

TR 1950X
ASUS ZE
F4-3200C14D-16GTZ
MX100 256GB+2x SATA HDD
RX VEGA 64
Cherry MX 3.0
Logitech G700S
ASUS MG279Q

I use mobo to control fans/water pump, all setup via UEFI. I have 2 sets of 3 Arctic Colling F12 PWM used on each rad and EK D5 PWM pump. Then a Be Quiet 140mm as exhaust for case.

I set static RED RGB after install, even after several FW changes I have not had to redo this. I have used onboard WiFI/BT since getting board, again no issues for me.

I am on UEFI 0901 and today reverted back to 0801 and back again via Flashback feature, zero issues. I have the USB peripherals stated above plus Xbox 360 controller wireless receiver plugged into rear IO when did the flashback.

I have experienced PWM being stuck once several weeks back, prior to that no times. Then recently I induced it it using AIDA64 about 2x. I use my rig daily and at times have had uptime of 2 days+ with it continuously loaded with either normal usage or f@h/Bionic.

For me ASUS ZE has been spot on.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video