cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.Skill Trident Z 32GB cold boot problems

St4v0
Level 7
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-3200C18 4000MHz

At default spd 2133mhz it runs just fine and starts from cold off and restarts just fine.
However,at anything above that and it will restart fine and bench all the way up to 3200Mhz.
But as soon as you shut it down completely and try and do a coldboot and it will power on for maybe 3 seconds and then shut off completely.
Is this where its failing training? is their a way to disable this?
All I do know for sure is 3200Mhz is 100% prime stable .
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
st4v0
23 REPLIES 23

soc-1.1v
ram-1.35v-1.4v boot
T1 on ram timings
beyond that eveything else is on default settings beyond my cpu overclock.

Mikan02
Level 7
Have you tested what happens at 3200 or 3333 with 4 first Timings and voltage from the original XMP profile? 18-19-19-39 1.35V?

I think the first timing is most difficult to tighten down.
Maybe try flip timings around?

18-18-18-38
18-18-17-37
18-17-17-37
17-17-17-37
17-17-16-36
17-16-16-36

Most likely there is someone with way better suggestions than me on this for timings to try^^

Try set eventual and boot DRAM voltage to same, 1.35 or 1.385.
Might need a little more SOC voltage for 3333, I would still try fine tune SOC voltage on both in small steps.

Noticed setting to 1.38 DRAM voltage have rare voltage drop on CD memory channel for me.
bumped it to 1.385 DRAM and it seems to stick to 1.351 so far.

Be sure to have DRAM Current Capability set to 130% and DRAM Phase Control to Extreme.
Might want to look at CPU and SOC Current Capability too, might help increase stability.
Current Capability only increase overhead before it fails, it does not change anything except that.
Of course it leaves less room for mistakes like setting wrong voltage to high. 😛

If anything overclocked or memory related fails/ be sure to Clear CMOS and "load optimized default",
this will help to get a fresh start even thou you have to redo your settings.

I'm more interested in curing the coldboot bug completely and I don't see how adjusting any voltages are the key to this when it boots up just fine from off at the mains.

It seems you were more right than I realized Mikan02 ,Thank you.
Through some indirect overclocking and testing with how far I could take it past 3200Mhz,when it eventually failed at roughly 3700Mhz I had the Vram preboot and main ram voltage both at 1.4v.
with using this higher voltage it tried repeatedly to train and reboot (4-5 times if i remember correctly) until it eventually gave up and and came back with a bios failed boot message.
This got me thinking about the previous cold boot problems and leaving the voltage at 1.4v on both preboot and main vram I knocked it back down to 3200Mhz and tested.
with shutting the system down it simply booted straight up with a single press on the power button (normally required two presses with lower voltage and even then it would fail after 3 seconds with the lower voltage 1.35v on ram main voltage)
So far voltage definitely does seem to be key when it comes to the cold boot problem.
Hopefully this might help others that are having the cold boot issues with large ram sets and set them on the right track.