Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely long BIOS time

ROGFanboy
Level 7
Hey guys,

I've got yet another problem.

Yesterday I installed the Samsung NVM Express Driver 2.2 to increase the performance of my Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe drive (boot drive) installed in the M.2 slot under the chipset heatsink of the Zenith Extreme.

I also installed my HTC Vive, which gives me the following error in Device Manager: "Unknown USB Device (Device Failed Enumeration)". I don't know if this is related, but I figured it could potentially increase BIOS time.

Problem: My already long BIOS time of about 30 seconds jumped up to 46 seconds.

Any fixes for this please? Thanks!

EDIT: Things got even worse. My keyboard is not recognized after startup. It takes another 20 seconds for it to recognize so I can use it to log into Windows.

I also noticed that the OLED display is showing weird, 2-digit codes in a very rapid pace. So fast I cannot write them all down.

EDIT 2: The fast paced 2-digit codes have disappeared. Instead I now see "Code B4 Load VGA Bios". I believe that has something to do with USB, which would make sense since I have issues with USB as listed above.

EDIT 3: Updated to BIOS 0603 and fixed the USB issue with my HTC Vive. BIOS time is not approx. 30 seconds. Still unbearably long, but seems to be the fastest possible without stability issues... 😞
2 REPLIES 2

leyabe
Level 8
ROGFanboy wrote:
Hey guys,
I also noticed that the OLED display is showing weird, 2-digit codes in a very rapid pace. So fast I cannot write them all down.

I am seeing the same rapidly changing codes.
My board came with BIOS 0503 and this didn't happen then. I updated the AURA/OLED FW and BIOS to 0603 and started to see this behavior. Is this normal?
I'm on BIOS 0801 now and still see the same rapid changing codes when booting.
It did not go away for me, but of course, when there's an error such as "Code B4 Load VGA Bios" as you listed below then only that error code will display.

As a related topic, is there any reference we can have as to what all the BIOS codes mean? It's not in my printed user manual, not in the PDF manual, and I couldn't find any information online specific to this motherboard with regard to the meaning of the codes displayed on the LiveDash.

ASUS, can you advise whether there is any reference about the BIOS codes and what they mean? It's not in my printed user manual, not in the PDF manual, and I couldn't find any information online specific to this motherboard either.