cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boot problem

Max85
Level 7
Hi,
When I disconnect and reconnect the power, the motherboard retest and power off the system before booting normally. This happens on default bios settings. I also tried to manually set ram timings and voltage. I do not have extra add-in cards. My CPU is a 1950X and my RAM is Hyperx Predator 64GB quad channel bought by checking the motherboard compatibility list.
I also tried reinstalling the cpu and I tested every ram stick separately.
I tested multiple BIOS versions, 0211, 0305, 0503, 0603, 0801.
It happens only at the first boot every single time I connect the power.

Every PC components has been tested on another motherboard and works perfectly.
This motherboard has random crashes when in use.

Here a video I made of the problem.
11 REPLIES 11

Av8tor2
Level 7
That seems "normal" to me, my system sometimes does the power cycle up to 3 times, then will boot into the OS.

The power supply I have is the EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM, and it has tested good, so I don't think it is the power supply on my system.

Av8tor2 wrote:
That seems "normal" to me, my system sometimes does the power cycle up to 3 times, then will boot into the OS.

The power supply I have is the EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM, and it has tested good, so I don't think it is the power supply on my system.

My motherboard has random crashes too, default bios settings, zero overclocking. Do you have random crashes too?

Hi,
I am seeing the exact same thing as in your video, and have tried BIOS versions 0503 (the version by board came with), 0601, 0603 and 0801.
After power is disconnected then reconnected, the computer resets by itself before powering on again.
I am also seeing the same thing as in your video with the LEDs.
My normal sequence is:
RAM (YELLOW)
CPU (RED)
VGA (WHITE)
BOOT (GREEN)
but I find that sometimes, similar to what we see in your video, the sequence restarts a few times like " YELLOW, RED --> back to YELLOW, RED, --> back to YELLOW again, RED, WHITE, --> back to YELLOW, RED WHITE, then finally, GREEN.

I don't think this is normal. Maybe it is, but I've owned many motherboards in my life, including several ASUS boards (last one being an ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0) and it is the first time I come across such behavior, both the fact that the board resets and powers on again after disconnecting power, and the fact that the LEDs boot sequence restarts a couple of times before booting all the way.

Can anyone advise whether this is an issue with my (and the OP's) boards or are we worrying over nothing?

EDIT: Just found out that changing the "Next boot after AC power loss" from the default "Normal boot" to Fast boot" has no effect on the first issue (the board resetting then powering again), but seems to fix the issue of the LEDs restarting their sequences multiple times, when Fast booting, they don't restart over.

leyabe wrote:
Hi,

I don't think this is normal. Maybe it is, but I've owned many motherboards in my life, including several ASUS boards (last one being an ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0) and it is the first time I come across such behavior, both the fact that the board resets and powers on again after disconnecting power, and the fact that the LEDs boot sequence restarts a couple of times before booting all the way.

Me too, I've had multiple motherboards from Asus and others, this is the first time that I see this behavior.
I've contacted the Asus support in my country and they told me that It is NOT normal.
I have other problems too with this motherborad, such as random crashes and the orange audio jack not working properly, so I requested a susbstitution to the Asus Support and they told me to ask to the vendor because Asus offers direct RMA only after 2 years.... but the vendor told me to contact Asus Support directly...
This never happened to me with other motherboards brands... It's unbelievable...

Max85 wrote:
I've contacted the Asus support in my country and they told me that It is NOT normal.

Thanks for confirming I appreciate. I'll contact support too.

leyabe wrote:
Thanks for confirming I appreciate. I'll contact support too.

The system cycling after power on is normal for this platform depending on the settings. As an example, the applied memory ratio and BCLK affects this because DRAM VBOOT needs a cold restart to engage.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The system cycling after power on is normal for this platform depending on the settings. As an example, the applied memory ratio and BCLK affects this because DRAM VBOOT needs a cold restart to engage.

that's true with overclocking, however I'm not overclocking and I have the same problem with ram base frequency or declared kit frequency.
I tried every possible test and configurations, multiple bioses deafult settings and not default settings, I still have the problem.
Is that normal?

Mikan02
Level 7
Have you tried to increase SOC voltage a little?
Might find a sweet spot that boots anyhow without retest.
But need to test one small step at a time and might
take some time to do.
Start at the voltage that is applied when using Auto
and try to stay below 1.175 if possible.

ramin_rostami
Level 7

important = 2 single channel ram NOT dual ,,,, 4*dual channel ram NOT quad so you must use real 4 quad channel ram(4 ram in 1 box writen quadchannel on it ) , not 4* dual channell*
in ryzen you must use only *dual channel , never never use 1*single channel ram , your system cant start , even start will give you tiny freeze

example true ram for threadripper
gskill ripjaws4 2800 4*4*

example true ram for ryzen and all other amd
geil evo x 3200 2*8
or
gskill RGB trident z 3200 2*8

NOTE=true slot ??? in AMD you must put ram in exact slot , according your motherboard user manual , so before put ram on ramslot see your mobo true ram slot (wrong slot can make system cant start or crash )

in amd ram is very very very sensetive ,but if you use no1 best ram, you never see even 1 freeze,bluescreen or freeze hang in 1 year !!!