Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 1402 Problems / Questions

mylala
Level 7
hey guys,

i've two questions about the new BIOS 1402:

- There is a "EVALUATION COPY"-Text before the BIOS-Screen is showing up while starting up the boot process. What's this about?

- 1402 is pretty instable for me and i get a lot of crashes under w10/64. I was pretty fine with BIOS 1003, but when i try to go back to the previous version, i get an error msg that the bios image does not fit into the bios ROM. Same with all prior BIOS versions and no difference between ezupdate/bios update. Is there a workaround for this?

kind regards,
myla
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Where did you get the BIOS file from?

If I were you I'd download a fresh copy of 1402 and use BIOS flashback method to flash it.

Going back from 1402 can be a bit complicated but possible. Flash 0503 BIOS Flashback method and then flash a later BIOS (1003 for example) afterwards.

Make sure you clear cmos before/after flashes.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

If I were you I'd download a fresh copy of 1402 and use BIOS flashback method to flash it.

Going back from 1402 can be a bit complicated but possible. Flash 0503 BIOS Flashback method and then flash a later BIOS (1003 for example) afterwards.

Thanks for your help!

I've got the bios files right from the official website: https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

I tried again to go back to any older bios version via bios flashback and cleared the bios upfront. and still: "the selected file is not a proper bios" - i tried all of the bios files. no difference. 😞

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Bios 1402 Filefrom Asus.com flash again with 1402. before and after cleared cmos...

Still evealution copy pops of in first screen..

Wel.. on my download page it states after the version info of the bios that it is BETA. Witch is weird because i never see them posting a beta version before.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Are you sure you are using BIOS flashback and not EZ flash?

BIOS flashback is done with only the board powered up no messages are possible

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

mylala
Level 7
Aaaah, you are my life-saver! I thought bios flashback is the ez flash via bios. Tried your tipp and it worked. I hope, i got my stable system back now. 🙂 thx so much! ❤️

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Cool beans! 🙂

BIOS flashback is the best method for me...flashing forward or back....as far as I know EZ flash doesn't allow flashing back to previous...only updating...

Martsmac1982
Level 8
So I just updated to this bios on my newly acquired ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA, and I cannot for the life of me, get the two NVMe drives (borh installed in the DIMM.2 Slot) to show up anywhere but under the NVMe drives section of the BIOS. They are not in the Boot-able devices section of the bios at all.

NVME driver is enabled and all hardware is physically hooked up correctly.

Please Help

This worked on the default BIOS the board came with but the above happens after flashing to 1402 (latest bios)
My Rig.

Caselabs STH10
AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X
ROG ZENITH II EXTREME
64GB G. SKILL DDR4 2800 (F4-2800C15Q2-64GRK)
1 x RTX 3090 WC 24GB
1 x ADATA 2TB 8200 NVME for Games
1 x CRUCIAL 500GB NVME purely for OS
1 x 960GB Crucial SSD for Downloads

Martsmac1982 wrote:
So I just updated to this bios on my newly acquired ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA, and I cannot for the life of me, get the two NVMe drives (borh installed in the DIMM.2 Slot) to show up anywhere but under the NVMe drives section of the BIOS. They are not in the Boot-able devices section of the bios at all.

NVME driver is enabled and all hardware is physically hooked up correctly.

Please Help

This worked on the default BIOS the board came with but the above happens after flashing to 1402 (latest bios)

If you are not using this as some sort of dual booting feature then i do not understand why you would want the DIMM.2 device to hold your Bootable C drive on it.
DIMM.2 runs through the chipset so even if you are able to run a pcie gen 4 drive it still has to go through the chipset.
Best is to run Main drives on board under left hand ram slots.
( i found this out the hard way )