Asus Zenith II Extreme X399 – Bios version 1701 (also happened on 1601)
64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
AMD 3970X Threadripper
Corsair AX1200i PSU
2 x 2TB WD SN850 SSD
6 x 12TB WD Drives
Asus RTX 4090 TUF
Lenovo 9460-8i Raid Card
Corsair H150i Cooler
4 additional Corsair Fans
Motherboard occasionally abruptly powers off with no notice.
When pressing the power button, nothing happens.
The board has power, but does nothing.
Turning the power off at the wall for 10 seconds, so the board powers off fully, and then powering back on will put the board into a boot loop.
Board will power on for half a second, then immediately power off and then power back on in a loop.
Eventually the board gives up and stays off with the power button non-functional.
The START button on the board also does nothing.
Eventually, after leaving the board completely off for 20 minutes, it will power on.
Some time later, maybe minutes, hours, days, weeks the process starts again.
Video of issue : https://youtu.be/HWyClZiYETY
Steps taken :
1. Removed all cables and refitted – same problem
2. Removed all cards, cables, etc… and tested without re-installed - same problem
3. Removed front panel and USB connectors, saw this in a forum post somewhere – same problem
4. Removed all memory, except 1, and rotated memory – same problem
5. Checked PSU – All good, same problem
6. Checked Temps – highest chipset temp was 72c, I understand the cut off is over 80c
7. Checked CPU torque screws, all good – same problem
8. Running a test with all fans at 100% to see if that helps
Does this board have any diagnostics to say why it powered off and won’t boot ?