cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Zenith II Extreme TRX40

Vlada011
Level 10
Beutifull motherboard.
Heatsink Cover is from Aluminum and that's very good material after copper for heatsink.
More aluminium less carbon steel is always recommended.

Zenith II encourage enthusiasts to enter in world of Threadripper, even if they like Intel.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Zenith-II-Extreme/

Silver part of shield is amzing. I like that detail very much.
My favorite combination for PC hardware is black-silver.
Previous motherboards for Threadripper 1 and 2 are excellent, really no objections...
but Zenith II is best moment for AMD Processors.
Perfect board for people to switch on AMD.

Usually I spent all day looking on motherboard details before installation.
Later when everything is inside case it's time for examination of box and rest of accessories.

37 REPLIES 37

IvoSilva wrote:
The pinout and format is indeed for a PCIe 6-Pin and not an EPS 6-Pin. 6-Pin EPS connectors do exist (mostly proprietary implementations). %

The manual is lacking big time, it does not even mention if the 6-pin should be connected or not, only the two 8-PIN EPS and the 4 pin molex at the bottom.

If I remember correctly, previously on the ASUS X99-M motherboard this same situation appeared, and I guess Asus is not very interested in correcting or at least clarifying the manuals. Sill calls this a 6-Pin EATX... At least mention that a 6-pin PCIe should be used and in what situations it should or not be plugged in.

That's the frustrating part. Zero documentation besides that they exist. I also notice that the reviews so far don't really say when they are necessary. Hopefully Buildzoid will do an overview at some point

zl1_ghost wrote:
That's the frustrating part. Zero documentation besides that they exist. I also notice that the reviews so far don't really say when they are necessary. Hopefully Buildzoid will do an overview at some point

So it there an answer if 6pin PCI-E cable can be plugged in that strange power slot?

Baze_Geo wrote:
So it there an answer if 6pin PCI-E cable can be plugged in that strange power slot?

It's a pci-e cable. Gigabyte TRX40 xtreme has one too, but it's correctly named and described opposed to Asus.. Shot from the gigabyte manual:

Don't worry, just plug it in if you need it.

bogdi1988
Level 8
I connected 2x 8pin, 1 4pin at the bottom and a 6pin PCI for power. Seems to run super stable so far.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you have the connectors on your PSU you may as well populate them all. Power will be spread across them I presume.

For normal use 2x8pin will be sufficient. You only need the extra 6 pin if you start hammering the CPU and VRM with serious loads...including exotic cooling and high frequency benching runs etc.

The extra molex is for multiple GPUs...

bogdi1988
Level 8
Yup! I figured, might as well connect all the power ports ahead of time as you mentioned as well 🙂

Got my 3970X last week. This is my first AMD build in 12 years. Have to say that it was the easiest build I've ever done. Compared to the drama and problems I had with Intel X99 and X299 this was a snap. The Gskill 64 gig C16 kit and the 2 Gen4 2TB NVME drives in raid 0 work as advertised. As I don't plan to overclock I only used the 2 8 pin EPS connectors. Moved my Rampage 6 Omega and Core i9 7960 to my backup case. Unless Intel comes out with something much better and glitch free I won't be going back.

IvoSilva
Level 7
Helping a friend of mine to build a new TRX40 rig with this motherboard is proving to be difficult.

LCD goes to memory code C6 then memory test and won't proceed with the boot.

Tried different memory kit, same.
8 slot populated, 4 populated, 2 or 1.. Same result.
Remounting cpu, same.
All cables are OK and plugged in, PSU is fine and tested.
Even without vga, same code.

New bios via flashback flashed Ok, but same memory code c6..

Can't think of anything else other than a DOA board...

Now that I took the CPU out to send the board back, I noticed this rust notch in the socket of the motherboard... It's not the first time I've seen reports of rust on a socket, namely a review for a Zenith on Amazon (1st Gen).. Humm. How odd.

https://i.imgur.com/vDZk5jo.jpg

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Is that rust? It looks like orange plastic or something like that to me...

Has the ILM chewed off a bit of the orange CPU holder?