cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Strix X399-E and 128 GB RAM, no POST!

inDubio
Level 7
Like a lot of people experiencing the 8 RAM module problem with the zenith boards I experience the same for X399-E board. Did anyone get it to work for all 8 modules? Is there a beta BIOS for the X399-E?

My RAMs are two sets of HyperX Fury 64 GB DDR4 2400 CL15 and I'm running the latest BIOS for the X399-E board.
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I haven't got my hands on that platform yet...but one of the fundamentals will apply for sure...mixing kits of even the "same" type is going to be trouble and even more so for high density modules...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Are you trying to set DOCP/XMP...if so, have you tried setting everything up manually

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I haven't got my hands on that platform yet...but one of the fundamentals will apply for sure...mixing kits of even the "same" type is going to be trouble and even more so for high density modules...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Are you trying to set DOCP/XMP...if so, have you tried setting everything up manually

If mixing the kits would be a problem, then it would not work with a combination of 6 modules (which it does). Multiple users report the same behaviour. The only trouble is if alle modules should be used.

I tried out DOCP, XMP, setting all to manual values (also increasing voltage, decreasing frequency), using all auto values, reseating modules, reseating cpu, exchanging the motherboard, clear CMOS...

Why is it not possible to provide a fully functional BIOS for such a basic task as using all RAM slots is?

Hi,

did You managed to solve things out with this issue?! I'm trying to synthesize all the issues solved or otherwise with this mainboard.
Regards

btw, what error codes do u get on the Q-code display..if any....

I had the same issue with my board, send it to ASUS for check and they told it is fine. In the end, I just got a 128GB kit that was validated by ASUS for the board and it worked with no issues.

martonbsandor wrote:
Hi,

did You managed to solve things out with this issue?! I'm trying to synthesize all the issues solved or otherwise with this mainboard.
Regards

btw, what error codes do u get on the Q-code display..if any....

I, once again, contacted ASUS support and the finally sent me an internal BIOS (0503) and now it works flawlessly.

I've got another problem with STRIX x399-e Gaming - I installed second set of 4x16 (total 8x16=128) the same CMR64GX4M4A2666C16 and the PC not resuming from the Suspend to RAM mode - CPU and Memory doesn't start, power button continues to blink as it sleeps, but fans of the case, gpu, gpu leds are working. Only reset helps. No any other errors, while working it does fine. With one set (4x16=64) works great - resumes and sleeps.

0503 BIOS onboard:-(

ASUS Support ticket didn't bring much for the moment...

I struggled with 8x16GB at first, and wasn't getting any POST. Sometimes, system kept rebooting after 1-2 seconds.
Changed the memory kit, same thing.

Until I stopped Automatic OverClocking, in this place:
UEFI BIOS -> Extreme Tweaker -> Core Performance Boost = Disabled.

This was OC'ing my system, regardless of other presets, and was rendering my setup extremely unstable.
I had to "Reset CMOS" on each boot, and it didn't last 2 boots before needing another "reset".

My advise to you?
1- (If possible) Use a single memory kit, since as mentioned, combining = issues;
2- Turn OFF overclocking and see, if your setup's normal state is working.

paulmarc wrote:

UEFI BIOS -> Extreme Tweaker -> Core Performance Boost = Disabled.

Thanks, I really hoped for this kind of solution, but no this, not any-other I tried to discover with OC settings:-(
Tried to put 2666Mhs, as my default was 2166, 1.2, 1.25 V - the same.

But my problem is not so bad - system rock solid and boots fine, but resume from Suspend to RAM is not working - and i hope it should be solved with either some setting in BIOS (for now I'm not able to understand 80% of the options, especially in OC section) or with new BIOS version...

What's your OS?

And do you have the latest VGA drivers?

Humor me and reinstall the VGA drivers (I had this issue once).