cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA - RAM Placement?

seemebreakthis
Level 7
I have two sticks of Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB. The manual says the recommended placement for 2 sticks is A1 and C1 slots, but I actually find putting them in A1 and B1 will give a better memory benchmark with everything else (i.e. BIOS settings) being the same.

UserBenchmark result is 39-ish GB/s A1B1 vs. 35-ish GB/s when in A1C1 config.

... any downside to not following the manual? I haven't noticed any so far.
744 Views
4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

As you are only using two DIMMs and not fully utilising all four memory channels, using A1 and C1 configuration isn't likely to hurt you too much. If you're finding latency is better in your current configuration there's no harm in using it.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

As you are only using two DIMMs and not fully utilising all four memory channels, using A1 and C1 configuration isn't likely to hurt you too much. If you're finding latency is better in your current configuration there's no harm in using it.


Thanks so much for the answer.

What I don't understand is why would Asus recommend configurations that would apparently give a lower throughput? You'd think there must be a reason behind that...??

Or is it just me having good luck with a peculiar setup?

seemebreakthis wrote:
Thanks so much for the answer.

What I don't understand is why would Asus recommend configurations that would apparently give a lower throughput? You'd think there must be a reason behind that...??

Or is it just me having good luck with a peculiar setup?


Is the throughput lower, or just the latency lower? The two aren't the same thing. Lets not forget the correct configuration requires 4 DIMMs to be populated.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Is the throughput lower, or just the latency lower? The two aren't the same thing. Lets not forget the correct configuration requires 4 DIMMs to be populated.


Asus manual recommends A1 and C1 when only 2 DIMMs are populated - which yields a lower throughput (35GB/s) than when I place them in A1 and B1 - 39GB/s.

So the throughput of Asus's recommended configuration is not the best in my case at least...