cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Zenith EXTREME NVME Raid 0

Juggalo23451
Level 9
Hello Everyone,

My end goal is to setup raid 0 for my two 500gig EVO NVME drive. I am using the 902 bios

Here is what I have done so far after some research.

Launch CSM: Enabled
Boot Device Control: UEFI Only
Boot from Network Devices: UEFI Driver First*
Boot from Storage Devices: UEFI Driver First*
Boot from PCI-E Expansion Devices: UEFI Driver First

Advanced tab AMD PBS setting and change it to Enable NVME RAID

I am see conflicting information as in to set up sata as RAID from amds website then I see in some cases not to.

I can See the AMD RAIDXpert2 RAID Management Utility

From their I am just wondering if I need to delete the array then assign the drives individually to raid 0?

Am I missing anything?
16 REPLIES 16

I have a thread already open in another subforum, but I think I should have opened it here.

My goal is very similar, but...

1. NVMe drive on motherboard - OS drive not in RAID
2. 2xNVMe drive in dimm.2 slot - want to create RAID0 from these.

Windows 10 is already installed on drive 1. Drives 2 and 3 are empty.
When I enable NVMe RAID in PBS section I keep cycling in to BIOS i.e. it won't boot the system.

I have tried manually updating storage controllers for two disks in dimm.2 rcbottom, and then RAID controllers would show up in Device Manager and I'd update them with rcraid. Enable RAID for NVMe in PBS. No luck.
I have also played with the drivers from AMD site, and while installing RAID drives I got something like this: "windows is currently installed to an nvme disk and upgrading will make the OS unbootable. It also recommends to use SSD for boot disk.

Is it at all possible to keep first NVMe as it is and only setup RAID0 for disk in dimm.2?

EDIT: Just read this on AMD site: "This driver requires the operating system/boot device to be included in the RAID array. Users seeking a standalone NVMe boot device and a separate SATA RAID storage array should use the “SATA RAID Only” driver below."

mirekti wrote:
I have a thread already open in another subforum, but I think I should have opened it here.

When I enable NVMe RAID in PBS section I keep cycling in to BIOS i.e. it won't boot the system.

I have tried manually updating storage controllers for two disks in dimm.2 rcbottom, and then RAID controllers would show up in Device Manager and I'd update them with rcraid. Enable RAID for NVMe in PBS. No luck.
I have also played with the drivers from AMD site, and while installing RAID drives I got something like this: "windows is currently installed to an nvme disk and upgrading will make the OS unbootable. It also recommends to use SSD for boot disk.

Is it at all possible to keep first NVMe as it is and only setup RAID0 for disk in dimm.2?

EDIT: Just read this on AMD site: "This driver requires the operating system/boot device to be included in the RAID array. Users seeking a standalone NVMe boot device and a separate SATA RAID storage array should use the “SATA RAID Only” driver below."

Seems to be possible, see my posting @ https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105089-Regular-NVMe-as-OS-and-RAID0-on-dimm-2-two-NVMe-dis...

mirekti wrote:

I got this Zenith Extreme last year and the Raid drivers were a hot mess. I ended up using Windows Storage Spaces instead since all I use is Windows 10 x64 Pro.
I found the Storage Spaces to be just as fast as the Software Raid that is used on the Zenith Extreme. I will post the Powershell Below to give you an idea how to have that set up if you choose to go that route. You will have to change the Get-PhysicalDisk to target your drives.

$VDisk = Get-VirtualDisk | ? FriendlyName -eq GamesVDisk
$Pool = Get-StoragePool | ? FriendlyName -eq GameStripe

if ($VDisk){
Remove-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName "GamesVDisk"
}

if($Pool){
Remove-StoragePool -FriendlyName "GameStripe"
}

Reset-PhysicalDisk -UniqueId "EUI.fab0b08151382500"
Reset-PhysicalDisk -UniqueId "EUI.96b7b28151382500"

$Disks = Get-PhysicalDisk | ? CanPool | ? MediaType –eq SSD

if($Disks){
New-StoragePool -FriendlyName GameStripe -PhysicalDisks $Disks -ResiliencySettingNameDefault simple -StorageSubsystemFriendlyName "Windows Storage*" -MediaTypeDefault SSD -AutoWriteCacheSize $True -LogicalSectorSizeDefault 2048 -FaultDomainAwarenessDefault PhysicalDisk |New-VirtualDisk -PhysicalDisksToUse $Disks -ColumnIsolation PhysicalDisk -FaultDomainAwareness PhysicalDisk -ResiliencySettingName Simple -Interleave 128KB -FriendlyName "GamesVDisk" -NumberOfColumns 2 -MediaType SSD -ProvisioningType Fixed -UseMaximumSize |Initialize-Disk -PassThru -PartitionStyle GPT |New-Partition -AssignDriveLetter -UseMaximumSize |Format-Volume -FileSystem NTFS -NewFileSystemLabel "Games"

Set-StoragePool -FriendlyName "GameStripe" -IsPowerProtected $True
}

Juggalo23451
Level 9
Thank you for helping me. I was able to successfully get raid 0 setup 🙂 and windows is installed

gupsterg
Level 13
TBH I don't think I helped much 🙂 , anyhow great to read all is sorted 🙂 .
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Chris_Manico
Level 10
So im working on a new build for a client and having raid issues. I have 1 nvme on the board, boots fine, get windows installed on it no problem. I run into issues with the sata ssd disappearing when I enable the raid. I can see the raid drive and dvd and the single nvme (C;) but not the sata ssd.
Corsair Carbide 540 Air ~ AMD FX 8350 ~ Asus Crosshair V Formula Z ~ 1901 BIOS ~ Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz 2x8 Gb CMD16X3M2A2400C10 ~ EVGA GTX 1080 Ti ~ Corsair AX860i PSU ~ Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SATA 3 SSD ~ WD 4 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB ( RMA'd ) ~ Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ~ Corsair SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speakers ~ 27 Samsung SA550 HD LED Monitor ~

Chris Manico wrote:
So im working on a new build for a client and having raid issues. I have 1 nvme on the board, boots fine, get windows installed on it no problem. I run into issues with the sata ssd disappearing when I enable the raid. I can see the raid drive and dvd and the single nvme (C;) but not the sata ssd.

if the SATA disk is in SATA port 1, try moving it. SATA1 seems to disappear when RAID is activated.*