cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING BIOS for Resizable BAR

Gamelounge78
Level 7
Does this chipset support the Resizable BAR feature? I see that it has the 4G Decoding feature.

-Erick
9 REPLIES 9

Dimitrios1971
Level 12
Well ... I ask myself too!:cool:

OLD

NEW

Seems silly asus won't support the x399 with the simple task of enabling us to use resizeable bar, when msi, an ASRock have. Buddh of mine is running resizeable bar with a 6800xy on a x399 Taichi problem free an a nice performance boost on some of the games he plays. These were expensive boards, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for asus to offe a little support on the enthusiast platform that isn't that old. I guess they no longer want my money. Never considered asrock till now.

There was a new BIOS update to meet Windows 11's requirement, but alas no SAM by hadware. I wonder if this could be implemented in Windows by the driver.

KraZy_SkitZy wrote:
Seems silly asus won't support the x399 with the simple task of enabling us to use resizeable bar, when msi, an ASRock have. Buddh of mine is running resizeable bar with a 6800xy on a x399 Taichi problem free an a nice performance boost on some of the games he plays. These were expensive boards, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for asus to offe a little support on the enthusiast platform that isn't that old. I guess they no longer want my money. Never considered asrock till now.

I was reading some of the PCI-SIG's documentation on it (it wasn't the most exciting, but informative). It seems that BAR may not be applied to all motherboards and it's due to the size of the UEFI/BIOS. ASUS has to be careful when adding Smart Access Memory to older PCIe 3.0 boards it seems, or the testing would still take some time since BAR requires access to a very large area of memory.

Gamelounge78 wrote:
I was reading some of the PCI-SIG's documentation on it (it wasn't the most exciting, but informative). It seems that BAR may not be applied to all motherboards and it's due to the size of the UEFI/BIOS. ASUS has to be careful when adding Smart Access Memory to older PCIe 3.0 boards it seems, or the testing would still take some time since BAR requires access to a very large area of memory.

But then how did asrock an msi implement it so easily an quickly? I think asus jus bein lazy.

And this is why my next build (later this year) will not use an ASUS motherboard. Vote with your wallet.

KraZy_SkitZy wrote:
But then how did asrock an msi implement it so easily an quickly? I think asus jus bein lazy.

Yeah. 😞 Unfortunately....the faith slid in the water

Gamelounge78
Level 7
I think DirectStorage's requirement will be the large memory support from BAR. One can only hope. 😄

I had some custom settings on this post, but after the BIOS update and the upgrade to Windows 11, it tanked the 30 series cards. Don't modify the Zen options after applying the latest update. I would not want to have anyone use these settings and ruin their SoC.