cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any one else have to RMA their ZENITH because of the M.2 Screws on the M.2 Panel?

BigJob
Level 10
I don't know if it's just me or if it's a bigger issue but that's what I am trying to figure out.

So the Zenith Extreme has a M.2 Panel on the bottom right and on the panel are 3 M.2 screws.

These screws are made of very soft metal and are very fragile. I ended up stripping all 3 on the first board and thus had to RMA.

They sent me another Zenith and I ended up stripping another M.2 screw on that one. I was able to open 2 out of the 3 but even the 2 I opened were partially stripped. And thus a 2nd RMA.

Anyone else having a problem with these very fragile easy to strip screws? I contacted pcpartspicker and the guys there said that these screws were very fragile as well.

Anyone else have screw driver or bit size recommendations? I was told a philips #1 would do the trick and the philips #1 did unscrew 2 of the 3 screws but not the 3rd.

My mobo is in RMA right now again, I don't want to have to RMA a 3rd time because these screws won't come off due to their fragility. Definitely need quality testing on these M.2 screws. Way to fragile and very poor quality metal for such a high end board.

Summation: 2 Zenith Mobos, 6 M.2 screws in total - 4 M.2 screws stripped completely , 2 M.2 screws stripped partially, 2 Rmas as a result

31,410 Views
47 REPLIES 47

JpArizona
Level 7
take a picture of the screwdriver your using, this sounds like you just using the wrong screwdriver, too big of a screwdriver you gonna strip it, too small your gonna strip it.

I had 2 boards and didnt strip any and I used a cheap screwdriver that came with a 5 dollar ssd baykit.

but yeah buy this and you will have no problem.
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-66-039-Jewelers-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B00002X29G/ref=pd_sbs_469_2?...

JpArizona wrote:
take a picture of the screwdriver your using, this sounds like you just using the wrong screwdriver, too big of a screwdriver you gonna strip it, too small your gonna strip it.

I had 2 boards and didnt strip any and I used a cheap screwdriver that came with a 5 dollar ssd baykit.

but yeah buy this and you will have no problem.
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-66-039-Jewelers-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B00002X29G/ref=pd_sbs_469_2?...


Wow so you opened the screws on both your mobos without a problem, glad to hear. So the problem maybe just me?

Thanks for the recommendation on your screw driver. If any one else has any other recommendation for screw drivers and bits I am listening.

& I have multiple screwdrivers and over 210 bits and nothing was working on my end. I even have the ones you sent me the amazon link to but from a different manufacturer, these size screw drivers are very hard to grip and hold and do not open any of the screws.

I was told by Asus engineers themselves to use a #1 but here's what happened on board #2 even with that ( I used craftsman bit #1 ).

70497

BigJob wrote:
Wow so you opened the screws on both your mobos without a problem, glad to hear. So the problem maybe just me?

Thanks for the recommendation on your screw driver. If any one else has any other recommendation for screw drivers and bits I am listening.

& I have multiple screwdrivers and over 210 bits and nothing was working on my end. I even have the ones you sent me the amazon link to but from a different manufacturer, these size screw drivers are very hard to grip and hold and do not open any of the screws.

I was told by Asus engineers themselves to use a #1 but here's what happened on board #2 even with that ( I used craftsman bit #1 ).

70497


IDK might just be bad luck on two messed up board? idk.

did you attempt with w adrill first and after it stripped a lil tried a regular hand screwdriver? or?

I know some people who use drills to unscrew and screw screws on but i think you shouldnt should only use your handtools that way you can never over torque etc.

JpArizona wrote:
IDK might just be bad luck on two messed up board? idk.

did you attempt with w adrill first and after it stripped a lil tried a regular hand screwdriver? or?

I know some people who use drills to unscrew and screw screws on but i think you shouldnt should only use your handtools that way you can never over torque etc.



On the first board, I used strictly hand on tools and they all stripped.

Second board, strictly hand on tools. Then I saw the screw being stripped so I decided to use a drill to test my luck and no use.

The screws were pretty tightly bolted in to my motherboards, both of them.

I bought so far $67 worth of screw drivers and screw bits to open these measly 3 screws. Just bought another 100 piece screw driver set just a few min ago for when I get my RMA back. This is unbelievable at this point.

Here's a pic of the screw I was able to open but partially stripped.

70508

Here's another look at the stripped screw on the 2nd board

70509

This is absolutely an ASUS issue. They are using thread locker on these tiny screws. Something absolutely UNNECESSARY and that is causing all this grief.

You can clearly see the thread locker on those threads... The blueish gunk.

I did remove mine without stripping but it requires a very good quality screwdriver and a lot of pressure.

I am a mechatronic by trade and work with various types of mechanical electronics pneumatic etc equipments and this is absolutely unacceptable and unnecessary.

IvoSilva wrote:
This is absolutely an ASUS issue. They are using thread locker on these tiny screws. Something absolutely UNNECESSARY and that is causing all this grief.

You can clearly see the thread locker on those threads... The blueish gunk.

I did remove mine without stripping but it requires a very good quality screwdriver and a lot of pressure.

I am a mechatronic by trade and work with various types of mechanical electronics pneumatic etc equipments and this is absolutely unacceptable and unnecessary.


Wow thanks for the insight there Mr. Mechatronic, extremely helpful!! Finally some guilt off my chest as I was blaming my self for being the problem.

Hmm, hopefully the Asus team sees this and makes modifications to these annoying screws. I will forward it to the repair service facility and see if it transpires
and positive change (doubt it but worth a try).

& the production line definitely needs to review these screws for quality assurance. I have lost over a month on 3 screws & 2 RMAs and multiple people are reporting the same fragile and poor quality of these screws on this high end board. Tragic.

If anyone has any good idea of who to forward this issue to for improvement kindly do directly contact them or let me know here and I will contact them.

Thanks.

Also Mr. Mechatronic, what screw driver brand & bit size did you use do you recall?

Can't remember from memory but it was either a PH0 or a PH00 from my PBSwiss kit. I think it was a PH0 but this was months ago... Just not sure.

And ASUS should have used a TORX / TORX Plus screws..... Much better. Using Philips on these tiny things is just asking for trouble.

They should also supply the tool for this on a 500+ $ motherboard...

The thread locker would be "understandable" on "non removable" part/cover. But in this case when you have a port under the hood.. Pure nonsense.

IvoSilva wrote:
Can't remember from memory but it was either a PH0 or a PH00 from my PBSwiss kit. I think it was a PH0 but this was months ago... Just not sure.

And ASUS should have used a TORX / TORX Plus screws..... Much better. Using Philips on these tiny things is just asking for trouble.

They should also supply the tool for this on a 500+ $ motherboard...

The thread locker would be "understandable" on "non removable" part/cover. But in this case when you have a port under the hood.. Pure nonsense.


Agreed with you wholeheartedly. I previously emailed them and chatted with them via live chat about 9 to 11 times about them including the proper screw driver so that I don't RMA the board a 2nd time and due to the pricing of the board as you've said; they didn't include one and voila 2nd RMA...

Even with their screw drivers I am pretty sure I would have stripped them easily as these were very tightly bolted in & I was struggling to open them( which I now understand is due to the unnecessary threadlocking fluid).

& Torx or Torx plus would have been much better yes, agreed or just the philips without the threadlocking fluid. Production lines' use of the fluid in this instance is definitely highly questionable.

I think this board overall was very rushed to cash in on the AMD 1950X cpu release. I think they were pressured on the timing of the release on the board and we, the early adopters are suffering as a consequence...

And lol nice screw driver set you got there, way too expensive for me (costs $100 for a 9 piece set because they are made in Swissland).

PBSwiss is indeed expensive. But since it is a working tool so it is worth it in my case.

You can also check out the Wera stuff. They have some good tools at the right prices and sold on Amazon.

Felo is also good as is Wiha.