cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any info on the 1901 firmware?

g051051
Level 7
1901 is now offered on the Driver & Tools page, but not on the BIOS & FIRMWARE page (still lists 1701 as the latest). No description of changes or release notes. Anyone know of any info on this new firmware version?

Edit: This firmware is for the original Zenith Extreme, not the Alpha.

Edit 2: release notes have been added:

ROG ZENITH EXTREME BIOS 1901
Improve hardware monitoring compatibility with 3rd party applications.
Fixed a boot issue when using a Quadro K6000 GPU.
" Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (ZE.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.''
13 REPLIES 13

delancyst
Level 7
g051051 wrote:
1901 is now offered on the Driver & Tools page, but not on the BIOS & FIRMWARE page (still lists 1701 as the latest). No description of changes or release notes. Anyone know of any info on this new firmware version?

I just installed it.
This version seems to be even more picky with RAM.
On the previous version, I could run my G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 64GB RAM kit B-Die (16GB x 4) manually @ 2933, 14-14-14-34, 1.35v.
In this version, I can no longer do the above setting.
It's currently left at Auto (2133) @ default timings and voltages as any other settings would prevent the Zenith Extreme Alpha from booting / posting, giving out a Press F1 key Memory Error.

delancyst wrote:
I just installed it.
This version seems to be even more picky with RAM.
On the previous version, I could run my G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 64GB RAM kit B-Die (16GB x 4) manually @ 2933, 14-14-14-34, 1.35v.
In this version, I can no longer do the above setting.
It's currently left at Auto (2133) @ default timings and voltages as any other settings would prevent the Zenith Extreme Alpha from booting / posting, giving out a Press F1 key Memory Error.

That is the same exact memory that I have. I am so happy I saw this before I flashed because I was just about to do that. It sounds like ASUS ducked up memory training. Have you been able to find a working solution or are we SOL? Did you try to use UEFI/BIOS flashback to 0405 or the original release version? You can use flashback by renaming the UEFI/BIOS file to ZEA.CAP and then using the flashback feature at the back.

linxeye
Level 8
Judging by release notes on the Alpha, I'd assume this new BIOS brings :

Improve hardware monitoring compatibility with 3rd party applications.
Fixed a boot issue when using a Quadro K6000 GPU.

dejanh
Level 8
So, the gentlemen or lady that flashed the new UEFI/BIOS - were you able to successfully flash back to the prior release to resolve the memory problems?

dejanh wrote:
So, the gentlemen or lady that flashed the new UEFI/BIOS - were you able to successfully flash back to the prior release to resolve the memory problems?

Sorry for the late reply.
My 2950x is speced at 2933mhz on AMD website, I’m not sure what Asus did but they should allow us to at least run the ram at 2933.
I have not tried flashing back yet. I will try tonight.
Interestingly, with 1901, i’m not seeing anymore random Explorer ‘referenced memory’ errors on shutdown.

When I bought my Zenith Extreme I installed 1061 Bios version and everything worked well except a minor issue about disabling led light. After few months I upgrade bios to 1071 and my pc have hard shutdown randomly issue. I have been waiting for new bios and now i see people complain about memory issue. I'm starting to hate Asus.

Wobbler
Level 7
Hmm and I just hopefully fixed my very random instability on my third zenith extreme board RMA while at 1701 (older bios versions didnt help). First boot random bluescreen after hours, very rare shutdown while browsing web, reboots seemed to be rock solid. In the end it seems it needed a bit more volts (according to bios readings) than previous boards for CPU (3700) and SOC and some ram+ram slot cleaning to pass y-crunch bechmark+stress test, HCI memtest passed before.

64GB/4 3200Mhz (slightly tighter) 14 14 14 14 28 42...CR2 1.365(~1.372) GSkill trident z non RGB. Tried and tested on previous boards.

I am back on BIOS 0405.
Just ran 2 passes of 'standard' Windows Memory Diagnostics without problem.

macmus
Level 7
I can confirm Asus zenith extreme alpha bios has broken memory support. Everyone is advised not to update and report this issue to asus. i don't know what those freaking engineers are doing ... regressing this board with each releqse.