cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1950X Boot times

Alexandre_ma
Level 7
I was wondering, how fast do your threadripper builds boot?
Mine does it in 20 seconds, and i was wondering if it is kinda high since most laptops do it in 3/4 seconds.
Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

masterac
Level 8
i think you can set the period of time you want to be able to acces bios.

also i am guessing you boot from ssd right ?

masterac wrote:
i think you can set the period of time you want to be able to acces bios.

also i am guessing you boot from ssd right ?

Yeah i have a samsung SSD.
I can choose a delay on the bios, and i have it set to 0. My old i7 975 used to boot faster than this, hence why i am wondering if there is something wrong.

Alexandre_ma wrote:
Yeah i have a samsung SSD.
I can choose a delay on the bios, and i have it set to 0. My old i7 975 used to boot faster than this, hence why i am wondering if there is something wrong.

20 seconds boot time is OK.
Most of that time is spent in POST, where UEFI is initializing and testing onboard devices before passing on boot to the operating system.

If you think 20 seconds is a long time, you should try rebooting a blade server (HP) or Cisco UCS, especially if you are booting from SAN so BIOS for SAN cards also has to be initialized.. But I do like on HP blades/servers that you get a graphic confirmation immediatly when pressing F11 to select a one time boot device.. So you can do other stuff while waiting for that screen to appear 🙂

Mine takes 30 seconds. I find the more PCIe devices and RAM I added, it added a second or two. Makes sense when you consider that POST checks everything. That said, I've only ever turned the system off for hardware installation, so startup time does not matter to me.

JHR1979
Level 7
if i start counting immediately when i press the power button, it takes 30 seconds. And this is timed with a stopwatch.

For the ROG logo to show up, it takes 17 seconds already, so 20 secs sounds awfully fast.

In UEFI there is a legacy boot option that if disabled improves boot time (starts with a C, CMS maybe, don't remember), however if you are booting Windows from an M.2 you cannot disable it.