cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
85 REPLIES 85

I have a doubt...

Which VID will be used for the maximum clock?
The adaptive or the V/F8?

Or is it the biggest one?

Shamino
the sum of adaptive + vf8 offset if any, and if this sum is the biggest among all vf1~7

Shamino wrote:
the sum of adaptive + vf8 offset if any, and if this sum is the biggest among all vf1~7

Will the same happen if we use Auto on vcore? At 5.4 Ghz singel thead my CPU gets 1.58v max with auto vcore (and LLC6). No need to worry?

Shamino wrote:

Sorry @Shamino... This is not clear to me ... Could you explain with an exemple?

RobertoSampaio wrote:
Sorry @Shamino... This is not clear to me ... Could you explain with an exemple?

lets say the cpu's native vid at 53x its highest boost freq is 1.53v
lets say your configure such that the highest core freq for light loads is 54x.
lets say you set an adaptive voltage of 1.55v
lets say vf pt 7's original vid is 1.49v
lets say no offsets applied to vf7/8
so when cpu goes 54x, the 1.55v setting will get honored.
the resultant vid request/voltage received is also affected by a whole slew of other factors such as (acdc LL/svid behavior, tvb voltage opt if enabled, vrm LL) but those need to be dealt with seperately in order not to complicate the example.

in same example just changing 1.55v value to 1.5v value:
when cpu goes 54x, the 1.5v setting does not get honored then due to it being lower than its native 1.53v

then u do an offset of -30mv to vf8
so when u run 54x, 1.5v (which is 1.53v - 30mv and not your setting of 1.5v-30mv in this case, always bear in mind trying to set adaptive lower than native volt is futile, this is a key point in understanding its behavior) is achieved because negative offsets work regardless of native vid as long as the vf curve remains monotonic, ie, always increasing/at very least constant. 1.5v is higher than the point before it, vf7 which is 1.49v which has no offset v set at the moment.

then u decide to add an offset to vf7 , say 40mv. thus vf7's resultant v is 1.49+40mv=1.53v. then now even though u did nothing to vf8, it is no longer 1.5v when at 54x but 1.53v to keep the vf curve monotonic.

so to understand adaptive voltage, always bear in mind:
voltage settings can only take effect if freq is > default boost and volt is > default vid
anything else is futile
that is where vf pt offset comes in, when u cannot do it by adaptive v setting as above, then u do it by vf pt offset, bearing in mind it's monotonic behavior.

Shamino wrote:
lets say the cpu's native vid at 53x its highest boost freq is 1.53v
lets say your configure such that the highest core freq for light loads is 54x.
lets say you set an adaptive voltage of 1.55v
lets say vf pt 7's original vid is 1.49v
lets say no offsets applied to vf7/8
so when cpu goes 54x, the 1.55v setting will get honored.
the resultant vid request/voltage received is also affected by a whole slew of other factors such as (acdc LL/svid behavior, tvb voltage opt if enabled, vrm LL) but those need to be dealt with seperately in order not to complicate the example.

in same example just changing 1.55v value to 1.5v value:
when cpu goes 54x, the 1.5v setting does not get honored then due to it being lower than its native 1.53v

then u do an offset of -30mv to vf8
so when u run 54x, 1.5v (which is 1.53v - 30mv and not your setting of 1.5v-30mv in this case, always bear in mind trying to set adaptive lower than native volt is futile, this is a key point in understanding its behavior) is achieved because negative offsets work regardless of native vid as long as the vf curve remains monotonic, ie, always increasing/at very least constant. 1.5v is higher than the point before it, vf7 which is 1.49v which has no offset v set at the moment.

then u decide to add an offset to vf7 , say 40mv. thus vf7's resultant v is 1.49+40mv=1.53v. then now even though u did nothing to vf8, it is no longer 1.5v when at 54x but 1.53v to keep the vf curve monotonic.

so to understand adaptive voltage, always bear in mind:
voltage settings can only take effect if freq is > default boost and volt is > default vid
anything else is futile
that is where vf pt offset comes in, when u cannot do it by adaptive v setting as above, then u do it by vf pt offset, bearing in mind it's monotonic behavior.

Tx Shamino !!!
I think I understood ... 🙂

So which is the better choice for the higher frequency?
Pump up V/F8 or add voltage thru adaptive offset?

I'm trying 54x3, 53x5, 52x8, 51x10 +1boost

5100MHz - V/F6=1.329 (+0.016) = 1.345v
5200MHz - V/F7=1.329 (+0.031) = 1.360v
5500MHz - V/F8=1.428 (+0.032) = 1.460v
Adaptive = 1.480v

So the results should be:

5100MHz - VID ~ 1.345v
5200MHz - VID ~ 1.360v
5300MHz - VID ~ 1.410v
5400MHz - VID ~ 1.445v
5500MHz - VID ~1.480v

Is it?

RobertoSampaio wrote:
Tx Shamino !!!
I think I understood ... 🙂

So which is the better choice for the higher frequency?
Pump up V/F8 or add voltage thru adaptive offset?

I'm trying 54x3, 53x5, 52x8, 51x10 +1boost

5100MHz - V/F6=1.329 (+0.016) = 1.345v
5200MHz - V/F7=1.329 (+0.031) = 1.360v
5500MHz - V/F8=1.428 (+0.032) = 1.460v
Adaptive = 1.480v

So the results should be:

5100MHz - VID ~ 1.345v
5200MHz - VID ~ 1.360v
5300MHz - VID ~ 1.410v
5400MHz - VID ~ 1.445v
5500MHz - VID ~1.480v

Is it?

Theres no better way , just which way is easiest, typically just use adaptive volt for the oc part and vfpt for below this, but can do it together for specific reasons anyway, use it to suit your target.

Your example, 54 and 55 will both be 1.48 as youve set adaptive voltage of 1.48 and it carries for any freq > 53x. To get what you wrote simply set down the adaptive to 1.36v (since vf7 is 136, you're basically nullifying adaptive so that you rely on vf offset entirely)or so, and set vf 8 to 1.48-1.36 = 0.12 this will give wgat you propse with 54x v interpolated between 53x vid and 1.48
Only vf pt can give u the interpolation, adaptive v by itself can't

Hey Shamino,
I updated both BIOS and ME firmware at the same time like an idiot, so I'm not sure which could be at fault. Currently sitting on 0901 and ME firmware from official download.
Ever since update I've noticed that I no longer see post messages, or UEFI logo with Windows' spinning loading indicator. Thinking it could be just bad boot image, I slapped in the Windows boot iso, and it also doesn't get anything onscreen. The GPU is alive and awake, monitor is on, just blank screen.
Also noted that when game's load and change to full screen mode, the GPU seems to cut out for a sec, making the display show it's HMDI selected, almost like it vblanked for a split second.
Since it seems the BIOS is being done by you, any chance it's related?
Also been having Intel ME firmware issues prior to BIOS update from official package, and now getting an odd message when attempting a backup, which another user also reported (not sure if before or after ME update, or what BIOS)

I'm out right now, but when I get home I'll try booting a Linux image, see if it has same issue

Got intel 10900k and with the 1003 BIOS I get WHEA errors randomly sometimes after 1 day and sometime longer. It’s correctable errors so it don’t bsod but still an issue. And I can’t force it to happen either don’t know what’s triggingering it. I have everything on intel defaults also. No OC what so ever beside the XMP.
Â*With the 0901 version of the bios I don’t get the WHEA errors.

I don’t know where to report the bug?Â*

I have the; Â*ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO

Shamino
actual received or vid?
you can trim downwards for vf8 as u know, if u have margin