cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z490 Intel I225-V driver bug (no connectivity on reboot)

SimselOr
Level 9
It's a well-known issue which appears to affect all Z490 chipets with the Intel I225-V 2.5Gbe NIC, not just Asus



Basically the latest driver from Intel, and which is available from most of the motherboard manufacturer sites, has a bug whereby the NIC dies on a system reboot.

The status will show cable/media disconnected and there'll be no link or activity lights on the socket.

This only happens after a soft reboot, powering off and on again will not show the problem.

You can fix it by disabling and re-enabling the interface.



The solution is to roll back the driver to an earlier version. At present the one on Windows Update (1.0.0.13) is fine.

Uninstall the NIC from device manager and opt to remove the driver too.

Reboot and allow Windows Update to locate the driver (using Wifi or an alternate NIC for connectivity).



This is being discussed in various forums but could really do with being highlighted by a more prominent site/channel like this one to give Intel a kick up the backside to get it sorted.
748 Views
25 REPLIES 25

Crash55
Level 8
Windows auto updtaed my LAN driver back on liek 16 Nov and I started having random drops. I tried updating to the driver on the Intel website and same problem. I then tried the firmware update and the driver that came with it and still the same issue. Finally I reinstalled 1.0.0.13 and the connection appears to be working fine again.
Should I be trying a different driver? I am a little concerned that Windows will do a driver update and break things again. I have it blocked from installing the current driver but that won't work if a newer one is released

Crash55 wrote:
Windows auto updtaed my LAN driver back on liek 16 Nov and I started having random drops. I tried updating to the driver on the Intel website and same problem. I then tried the firmware update and the driver that came with it and still the same issue. Finally I reinstalled 1.0.0.13 and the connection appears to be working fine again.
Should I be trying a different driver? I am a little concerned that Windows will do a driver update and break things again. I have it blocked from installing the current driver but that won't work if a newer one is released


You can try and follow this if you'd like windows to not install drivers for you:

http://woshub.com/how-to-turn-off-automatic-driver-updates-in-windows-10/ > How to Disable Driver Updates in Hardware Settings?

Also good luck, I tried everything, including 1.0.0.13 as recommended by Intel, it works for a day then it just stops working again. I have no idea what the heck this is all about, it bloody works for a bit then it stops working lol.

Crash55
Level 8
I did what your link says but that won't necessarily stop teh next version of teh driver from being installed.

I wish I had researched the board before ordering. though Falcon Northwest says they haven't been getting complaints so maybe we just lost the board lottery?

Crash55 wrote:
I did what your link says but that won't necessarily stop teh next version of teh driver from being installed.

I wish I had researched the board before ordering. though Falcon Northwest says they haven't been getting complaints so maybe we just lost the board lottery?


Hmm I'm not quite sure then!.

Also, my ethernet hasn't disconnected today. I swear this is driving me crazy, it's been working find all day today! Currently running driver version 1.0.2.6. I will let you know later if it disconnects.

And you are right, it seems like we have lost the board lottery.

marhaba wrote:
Hmm I'm not quite sure then!.

Also, my ethernet hasn't disconnected today. I swear this is driving me crazy, it's been working find all day today! Currently running driver version 1.0.2.6. I will let you know later if it disconnects.

And you are right, it seems like we have lost the board lottery.


Guess what Windows did to me today? It installed version 1.0.2.6

I found out because I got an offlien messaeg in chrome within 5 min of going online.

I rolled it back to 1.0.0.13

TBolley
Level 7
I225V_End_User_FW_UPDATE dont work on Strix Z490-E Gaming.

get this error

D:\I225V_Intel_Gigabit_Ethernet_Driver_V1.0.1.4_WIN10_64-bit-new\I225V_End_User_FW_UPDATE\I225V_End_User\win64e>echo off
Bin file to update is: .\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin
.
Making sure QV driver is installed..
[uninstall.bat] Removing iQVW Driver - SUCCESS
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .
Welcome to the Tools driver installation program.
After installation of the driver (iqvsw64e.sys), the tool can be invoked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Checking to see if iqvsw64e.sys exists on system
Installed version: 1.4.0.12
New version: 1.4.0.12
/y extension is enabled!
Copying iqvsw64e.sys file to C:\Windows\system32\drivers
1 Datei(en) kopiert.
Installing INF file
Microsoft-PnP-Hilfsprogramm

Verarbeitungsinf.: iqvsw64e.inf
Das Treiberpaket wurde erfolgreich hinzugefügt.
Veröffentlichter Name: oem42.inf


Versuche gesamt: 1
Anzahl erfolgreicher Importe: 1

Installation done! You can now invoke the tool. To exit,
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .
.
Inventory of devices:
.....

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool
NVMUpdate version 1.35.28.1
Copyright (C) 2013 - 2020 Intel Corporation.

Inventory
[00:004:00:00]: Unknown Device
Flash inventory started.
Shadow RAM inventory started.
Shadow RAM inventory finished.
Flash inventory finished.
[00:004:00:00]: Unknown Device
Vendor : 8086
Device : 15F3
Subvendor : 1043
Subdevice : 87D2
Revision : 3
LAN MAC : F02F74201051
Alt MAC : F02F74201051
SAN MAC : 000000000000
ETrackId : 80000182
SerialNumber : F02F74FFFF201051
NVM Version : 1.87(1.57)
PBA : G23456-000
VPD status : Not set
VPD size : 0
NVM update : No config file entry
checksum : Valid
.
.
.....Updating.....

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool
NVMUpdate version 1.35.28.1
Copyright (C) 2013 - 2020 Intel Corporation.

Config file read.
Inventory
[00:004:00:00]: Unknown Device
Flash inventory started.
Shadow RAM inventory started.
Shadow RAM inventory finished.
Warning: Probably incorrect image - LomBit is set and Pointer to OROM is VALID!
Flash inventory finished.
Update
[00:004:00:00]: Unknown Device
Flash update started.
|==============>.......[ 30%]......................|
Error: Flash update failed.
Update security revisions
[00:004:00:00]: Unknown Device
Skipping update minimum security revisions.
Das Muster für den regulären Ausdruck ".\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin" ist ungültig.
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ (gc config_i225.txt) -replace '.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin','NVM_VERSION' | ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin:String) [], RuntimeException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidRegularExpression

PS D:\I225V_Intel_Gigabit_Ethernet_Driver_V1.0.1.4_WIN10_64-bit-new\I225V_End_User_FW_UPDATE\I225V_End_User\win64e>