cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z490 Intel I225-V driver bug (no connectivity on reboot)

SimselOr
Level 9
It's a well-known issue which appears to affect all Z490 chipets with the Intel I225-V 2.5Gbe NIC, not just Asus

Basically the latest driver from Intel, and which is available from most of the motherboard manufacturer sites, has a bug whereby the NIC dies on a system reboot.

The status will show cable/media disconnected and there'll be no link or activity lights on the socket.

This only happens after a soft reboot, powering off and on again will not show the problem.

You can fix it by disabling and re-enabling the interface.

The solution is to roll back the driver to an earlier version. At present the one on Windows Update (1.0.0.13) is fine.

Uninstall the NIC from device manager and opt to remove the driver too.

Reboot and allow Windows Update to locate the driver (using Wifi or an alternate NIC for connectivity).

This is being discussed in various forums but could really do with being highlighted by a more prominent site/channel like this one to give Intel a kick up the backside to get it sorted.
25 REPLIES 25

nosam1g
Level 7
Had this issue but once i ran all Microsoft updates with my wifi .. it somehow fixed the Ethernet Controller and updated itself

davibusanello
Level 7
I have this issue on ending of install.bat

Update security revisions
[00:004:00:00]: Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225-V
Skipping update minimum security revisions.
Checking update availability for next tool run.
The regular expression pattern .\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin is not valid.
At line:1 char:1
+ (gc config_i225.txt) -replace '.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin','NVM_VERSION' | ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin:String) [], RuntimeException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidRegularExpression

any help?

davibusanello wrote:
I have this issue on ending of install.bat

Update security revisions
[00:004:00:00]: Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225-V
Skipping update minimum security revisions.
Checking update availability for next tool run.
The regular expression pattern .\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin is not valid.
At line:1 char:1
+ (gc config_i225.txt) -replace '.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin','NVM_VERSION' | ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (.\FXVL_15F3_ASUS.bin:String) [], RuntimeException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidRegularExpression

any help?

They get the same error in the Update guide.

bhorv67
Level 8
Where can I download the I225V firmware update tool?

bhorv67 wrote:

Asus.com/support Find your motherboard and it'll be listed.

bhorv67 wrote:

When you download your driver, you will have 2 zip files (like in the image below), one for the driver and the second one will be the firmare. Once you extract, go inside and run the "install.bat" file. Make sure you run it as administrator.

ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA motherboard here.

I must say, I have had this issue for a while and no luck so far. I did everything as advised.

The weird thing is, it worked normally for 2 days after doing 2 different things.

First of all, I upgraded my bios to version 0901, Asus support advised me to use that instead of the latest one - version 1002 - as that's in beta. Anyway, once I upgraded my Bios, my ethernet was fine for the entire day, was perfect, did not disconnect not once. This was on 27/11/2020 in the evening.

Turned my pc off for the night, turned it on on Saturday the next day and what the heck, ethernet stopped working again. I switch back to using my PCI e ethernet for the day and then yesterday I contacted Asus who advised to try the driver on their website, which is version 1.0.1.4.

That's when I tried this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products... which worked for most of the evening today.

My PC went to sleep as I went afk, I came back and the ethernet died again.

I'm not entirely sure what to do a this point 😞

1. Make sure firmware is latest 1.45 . Read above regarding firmware update in case you are not sure.
2. update driver from this forum thread to the latest 1.0.2.6 ( not from asus support website).
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118280-DRIVERS-Intel-Ethernet-WiFi-Bluetooth

Should be fixed by now , if not- switch manually to 1.0.GBps speed in driver settings. Turn EEE off ( energy efficient ethernet ) as well.

Hope it works for you.

anyone know why 1.0.1.4 driver was recently reuploaded on the asus support? upload date says 11/24/2020 but it came out way before that, I wonder if anything is different.

mtrxx
Level 7
Even when Fw update works, re install Windows and internet is gone again, heck you have to do ,,offline" installation since you cant activate your win or anything. Now after disabling and enabling nw adapter, you can go trough all these updates once again...
Btw, even viewer still shows errors for nw adapter even if the connection is there after every restart or cold boot.
To get this thing working is a bare minimum and far from being fixed.
Asus should provide necessary bios update to solve the issue or just call all boards with rev 1 and 2 back.