cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z490 ASUS-Apex Boot Issue

nosam1g
Level 7
So i got around to installing my new pc , here are specs to see what to determine the issue might be.
i9-10900k
2080ti EVGA FTW3 Hybrid
4500MHZ Team Group DDR4
2 m.2 Drives
-1 Corsair
-1 Samsung Evo
1200W Psu
Asus Apex MB
Win 10 Pro

I got around to making a video of the issue UPDATED* 6/14/2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWsmelm3ofg

So upon boot somtimes my screen just sits black and i have to restart the pc in order to get somewhere
Sometimes i see the rog logo and then gos black again
Sometimes i see the rog logo and 10-15 seconds later i see the Windows circles going in a loop like its loading.
This is about 45 seconds in , dont get me wrong that is not long , but with the hardware i purchased i feel something is wrong.
Once i login everything seems fine , its just when i shutdown and come back like 10 hours later and try to boot i get these weird boot up process , when it should be start forward and fast bootup.

-Also just rebooted right now and it reboots under 5 seconds but when i login to my account the nividia driver is not registered .. then i hear it connect and says G-SYNC Available .

Any info would be appreciated
40 REPLIES 40

I put the Team 4500 kit in the APEX Xll and it is working for me with and without XMP. XMP booted right up with no manual tweaking but like I said before voltages are really high on VCCSA @1.68. The 1.45v you mentioned is DRAM voltage.

I haven't tested stability but I just wanted to see if it boots or I had issues with the Nvidia control panel. No issue using the latest Nvidia drivers 446.13 on Windows 10 2004 for me. My GPU is MSI 2080 TI Gaming X. I also used defaults for bios settings with bios 403 to try and replicate the most likely to have issues. I also have no CPU and that will effect ram stability.

Ill report if I have any issues with the Team 4500. I have bios 069 on my other bios ill try and see how it works as so far that seems the best bios from my testing.

Edit Newer bios 069 sets a lower SA voltage of 1.52 vs 1.68 on the older bios when left on Auto. So far no issues with the Team 4500 XMP and using AI OC.

1mluer wrote:
I used Gskill 4600 royal gold kit with xmp and AI overclocking just for fun and it run great and keeps retraining the CPU faster and faster.. The ram is running a solid 2300mhz.

I haven't tried manual OC yet. I have to replace my board it's bad per ASUS but it runs currently.. Just won't shut down.

So you got around to contacting ASUS ? Is that what they refereed to do, any troubleshootin ? I havent had the time to get around to ask ASUS about my issue yet

m4ttjirm wrote:
Ok bro from everything you have written I think it is time for a fresh install of windows 100%. Try that before you try anything else lol.

Fresh install of windows, install your chipset drivers from the site, get the newest nvidia driver, turn off fast boot in bios, and do some restarts lol. Sounds like a windows issue vs a bios issue to me firsthand.

Yes i could try a fresh install of windows. Im going to post my Profile results in a bit

EDIT:** I get this message when trying to save it to my flash drive
USB Flash drive with NTFS not supported

bscool wrote:
I put the Team 4500 kit in the APEX Xll and it is working for me with and without XMP. XMP booted right up with no manual tweaking but like I said before voltages are really high on VCCSA @1.68. The 1.45v you mentioned is DRAM voltage.

I haven't tested stability but I just wanted to see if it boots or I had issues with the Nvidia control panel. No issue using the latest Nvidia drivers 446.13 on Windows 10 2004 for me. My GPU is MSI 2080 TI Gaming X. I also used defaults for bios settings with bios 403 to try and replicate the most likely to have issues. I also have no CPU and that will effect ram stability.

Ill report if I have any issues with the Team 4500. I have bios 069 on my other bios ill try and see how it works as so far that seems the best bios from my testing.

Edit Newer bios 069 sets a lower SA voltage of 1.52 vs 1.68 on the older bios when left on Auto. So far no issues with the Team 4500 XMP and using AI OC.

Good to hear your overclocking is working out. Where can i view SA voltage ? Not sure what bioses those are i just went to the ASUS site and support to dl latest which was Version 0607

EDIT ** Just did the MRC and MCH settings that were suggested earlier .. and im not sure if it booted faster but the nivida drivers were not recognized right away how they should be.
Im starting to think this is a Motherboard or Chip issue. I still should reinstall windows

nosam1g wrote:
So you got around to contacting ASUS ? Is that what they refereed to do, any troubleshootin ? I havent had the time to get around to ask ASUS about my issue yet

Yes i could try a fresh install of windows. Im going to post my Profile results in a bit

EDIT:** I get this message when trying to save it to my flash drive
USB Flash drive with NTFS not supported

Good to hear your overclocking is working out. Where can i view SA voltage ? Not sure what bioses those are i just went to the ASUS site and support to dl latest which was Version 0607

EDIT ** Just did the MRC and MCH settings that were suggested earlier .. and im not sure if it booted faster but the nivida drivers were not recognized right away how they should be.
Im starting to think this is a Motherboard or Chip issue. I still should reinstall windows

yes I have a bad board. I was requested to return and get a new one or send it to the Western European RMA facility. People in the US are screwed again for a while before they release the board here. I was told so much during the support call. APEX and Extreme not slated for North America yet. all these preorder sites are BS right now
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer
Level 11
lol I have the opposite issue 🙂 I am still thinking you should clear cmos and try it not overclocked first to get all the drivers loaded and hardware recognized properly first. I think somthing else might be happening here. .. clear cmos and boot in standard mode. I guess you can shut the pc down correctly with windows shutdown right ?
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
lol I have the opposite issue 🙂 I am still thinking you should clear cmos and try it not overclocked first to get all the drivers loaded and hardware recognized properly first. I think somthing else might be happening here. .. clear cmos and boot in standard mode. I guess you can shut the pc down correctly with windows shutdown right ?

it did this when nothing was overclocked .. i wanted to test the overclocking and everything works fine. it boots faster with the Optimized overclocked settings , oddly lol. Yes i can restart shutdown and everything works fine. Its just the Display does not come on sometimes then i have to press start button on pc case to restart it and then it will go into what i show in the video

1mluer
Level 11
I think I recreated your issue. I went to pch storage configuration and put Sata Interupt Setting on "SMI" when I did that it took forever to boot. When I changed it to "SMIX" or "Legacy" it allowed normal booting.. check that.. I am trying to troubleshoot why I can't shut down my system but your problem seemed easier to me to fix.. check it out.

Not to mention I seen your video card was PCI X8 setting make sure you have all the PCI settings to Gen3
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

nosam1g
Level 7
Mine is already on Smix .. gonna try a few things tho

Ok actually u have to enable Intel Rapid Storage memory ..
Then it gives you an option for Sata Interrupt .. it was already on smixed..

That looks like options for Raid Control for the m.2 drives .. not sure how that would relate to my boot??
I took pictures of why i couldnt find it initially

pictures are to show you have to go into SATA Mode Selection in order to get that SATA interrupt option..

1mluer
Level 11
yep looks like you are right.. If I use msi on my raid setup it takes ages to boot.. I use msix or legacy it boots correctly. Well I gave it a try. I will continue to look at this along with my problem. I still have a suspicion it's bios related in some way at least for my problem.

By the way, did you mount your ssd's on the dimm.2 or onboard. On board if I read it right shares the pci express slot with your graphics card making it 8X not 16X.

Just made this video of my issue 🙂

i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
yep looks like you are right.. If I use msi on my raid setup it takes ages to boot.. I use msix or legacy it boots correctly. Well I gave it a try. I will continue to look at this along with my problem. I still have a suspicion it's bios related in some way at least for my problem.

By the way, did you mount your ssd's on the dimm.2 or onboard. On board if I read it right shares the pci express slot with your graphics card making it 8X not 16X.

For your issue and both mine i think im going to just put my PC in sleep mode instead of shutdown. That may be a temporary fix.
I have my EVO m.2 in the RAM m.2 slot and i have a corsair on the board right above the gfx card. I was thinking about that when i placed the corsair m.2 above the gfx card and hope that my gfx card get x16 .. ill have to try taking it out. Only reason why i put it above my gfx card is because it has heat sink on it and cant go into the Ram m.2

Your pc atleast boosts how it should.

I also found multiple issues with booting etc with the z490 platform . Im thinking they will release a new bios or patch to get the bugs fixed. This is common with new technology

Update*** Even after taking out the corsair m.2 that is above the gfx card.. The boot time still elapsed to 1-2 mins, I did a 3 trial run. The first two boots were 1-2mins BUT the nividia driver was registered. On the third attempt no nividia driver. Therefore ruling out if the corsair is interfering with the x16 needed for the gfx card. Ironically i put the m.2 back in , and it booted within 10 seconds and nividia driver registered. So im back to pulling my hair out Lol! Hopefully it stays that way..

1mluer wrote:

Under Advanced, ON Board Devices, LED Lighting have you tried setting it to Stealth Mode when Sleep/Soft Off?