cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z390-E and 9700K will not boot with Nvidia GPU installed (2070 or 1070)

timelapse
Level 7
I'm putting together a new build with the Z390-E motherboard running a i7 9700k CPU. Everything was up and running yesterday using the built in graphics. When I installed a RTX 2070 it would no longer boot. Just a hang up with the GPU LED on and no boot into the bios. After testing all 3 other PCI-E slots, I had the same results. I reverted to the built in graphics and updated the MB bios from the default 0224 (8/14/18) to the latest version available 0506 (9/20/18). Still didn't have any luck getting the 2070 to work.

I took everything apart and returned the MB and 2070 today. I picked up a 2nd Z390-e and a different 2070 card. Rebuilt everything. No issue booting up and updating the bios using the built in Intel graphics. As soon as I installed the new 2070, same exact boot error issue.

I then picked up a brand new 1070 and installed that to see if the issue with related to the 2070. Nope. Same issue.

Huge waste of time and I have no idea what could be going on besides an issue with Asus coming to the market too quickly with this series of motherboards.

I did a quick search and didn't see anyone else reporting issues. Can anyone confirm that they are running the Z390 board with GPU functioning correctly?

Thanks in advance.
33 REPLIES 33

Menthol
Level 14
Please list all your specs, case, power supply, I would guess either the Vid card is not seated completely or power supply is multi rail and not supplying enough power, you could try it out of the case on the box the motherboard came in to verify it isn't the case preventing seating of your GPU's

Menthol wrote:
Please list all your specs, case, power supply, I would guess either the Vid card is not seated completely or power supply is multi rail and not supplying enough power, you could try it out of the case on the box the motherboard came in to verify it isn't the case preventing seating of your GPU's

Build details listed below. The GPU looks seated and it has been removed and reinstalled in all PCI lanes during initial trouble shooting. I would love to avoid the hassle of removing everything from the case considering I already rebuilt this rig twice within the last 24 hours. I wonder if the M.2 drives are causing some type of issue with the primary x16 PCI-e lane I want to use for the GPU?

Motherboard (two tested with same issue): ROG Strix Z390-E
i7-9700k

GPU's tried:
Asus RTX 2070 OC
Gigabyte RTX 2070
EVGA 1070 OC
64GB Gskill DDR 3200

Using both M.2 slots:
M.2 500gb Samsung Evo in slot 1 for Windows 10. 512gb Inland M.2 in slot 2 (bottom)

Case: Antec P100

PS: EVGA 850 G3 SuperNova
Cooling: H100i Pro

I should also note that when trouble shooting I have attempted a few ways to power the GPU from the 850 G3. I have used two separate feeds to the GPU and also the standard single feed with splitter. With both approaches, the GPU is powered on and looks healthy. LEDs and fans running as normal on all 3 GPUs.

Phillyflyer
Level 10
timelapse wrote:
I'm putting together a new build with the Z390-E motherboard running a i7 9700k CPU. Everything was up and running yesterday using the built in graphics. When I installed a RTX 2070 it would no longer boot. Just a hang up with the GPU LED on and no boot into the bios. After testing all 3 other PCI-E slots, I had the same results. I reverted to the built in graphics and updated the MB bios from the default 0224 (8/14/18) to the latest version available 0506 (9/20/18). Still didn't have any luck getting the 2070 to work.

I took everything apart and returned the MB and 2070 today. I picked up a 2nd Z390-e and a different 2070 card. Rebuilt everything. No issue booting up and updating the bios using the built in Intel graphics. As soon as I installed the new 2070, same exact boot error issue.

I then picked up a brand new 1070 and installed that to see if the issue with related to the 2070. Nope. Same issue.

Huge waste of time and I have no idea what could be going on besides an issue with Asus coming to the market too quickly with this series of motherboards.

I did a quick search and didn't see anyone else reporting issues. Can anyone confirm that they are running the Z390 board with GPU functioning correctly?

Thanks in advance.

2 motherboards and 2 different series cards resulting with the same issue ??....not the motherboard nor cards....
Could be what Menthol has stated above or...try setting the card as main graphics within the bios and set @ Gen 3...worth trying as the graphics card should disable the onboard graphics automatically once installed.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
2 motherboards and 2 different series cards resulting with the same issue ??....not the motherboard nor cards....
Could be what Menthol has stated above or...try setting the card as main graphics within the bios and set @ Gen 3...worth trying as the graphics card should disable the onboard graphics automatically once installed.

With all the variables (two motherboards, etc) and the same issue it could also reveal a bigger issue on the ASUS side since this is a brand new product, no?

I'll take a look at the bios setting you mention now and report back. Thanks.

Phillyflyer wrote:

If I run my HD7990 alongside the built in HDMI Intel connected to monitor, the Intel Output comes up as a 4th screen and the other 3 screens attached to my ATI card. So I do not believe having a PCI card disables the onboard one, It only stops getting registered if you do not connect it to anything. (Strix z390-E Gaming)

0802 Bios seems to have solved my problem. Already restarted/turned on the PC at least 5 times and it went to the 970 GTX normally. No Bios setup needed.

Also did the Nvidia Firmware update, but it says its for Displayport and since Im using HDMI, dont think this is what solved it

Fenrir-Lima wrote:
0802 Bios seems to have solved my problem. Already restarted/turned on the PC at least 5 times and it went to the 970 GTX normally. No Bios setup needed.

Also did the Nvidia Firmware update, but it says its for Displayport and since Im using HDMI, dont think this is what solved it

Did you try the 0802 Beta bios? I have the same problem with Asus Prime Z390-A mother board and Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming VGA. Unfortunately can't try the display port related firmware update because I haven't got another PC where I could update the firmware of the VGA. I am a little scared of the beta version bios but If you say it works well maybe I should make a try.

zamostnyr wrote:
Did you try the 0802 Beta bios? I have the same problem with Asus Prime Z390-A mother board and Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming VGA. Unfortunately can't try the display port related firmware update because I haven't got another PC where I could update the firmware of the VGA. I am a little scared of the beta version bios but If you say it works well maybe I should make a try.

In my case, I could boot the computer using the onboard GPU with the 970 installed and then change the cable to use the 970 when already in windows. But I had to do that every boot. So I got to windows and updated the firmware on the same. But as I said before I don`t think this was what solved since the firmware is to update the displayport and Im using HDMI.

And yes, Z390-E with 0802 beta