cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370i RGB Header Issue

HFB_Zulu
Level 7
So, i just recently built a new Coffee Lake build in the Phanteks Evolv Shift, using the Z370i motherboard, Core i5 8600K, 16GB of G.Skill RGB RAM, a Corsair H80i v2, Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans. *

I added Phanteks’ Halos RGB fan frames to the visible fans (radiator fan is on the bottom of the case and not viisible). *

The Aura software works great, and the LEDs on the motherboard and the G.Skill RAM work together fine. *

On problem, however.... *

I cant use the RGB header on the Z370i with the Halos LUX rings (though they are Aura compatible) because it is a 3-pin header that is totally different from the 4-pin standard RGB headers that all the fans and strips ive found have (including the Halos rings).*

Sooo... what exactly am i supposed *to do with this 3-pin header? *Is there an adapter to convert it to 4-pin? *Is there an Aura-compatible hub that uses a USB header instead of the RGB header? *(Ive seen a couple RGB hubs, but they all assume/use the 4-pin header.)

Am i just completely SOL here?**I’d really like to get my fans synced up with the MoBo and RAM. *I really wish ASUS had just used the standard 4-pin connector. *

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help, and if there is a better forum to post this in, someone let me know.*
11 REPLIES 11

Starscream
Level 7
I checked the manual of the Z370i and it shows a 4 pin connector but only 3 pins used. As an addressable header, this sounds right. Non-addressable headers require all 4 pins.

I think you need a non-addressable header for the fan frames.

Addressable = 5v, non addressable = 12v.

I suspect you will be limited to adding an addressable LED strip as I'm not aware of any addressable FANs. (Doesn't mean there are none, but I haven't come across any. But I haven't looked either :))

I am surprised that a standard RGB header isnt included while an addressable is.

I believe the difference is that with an addressable header, you can control the color of individual LEDs in the strip. Non-addressable means the whole strip is the same color as set...which is probably preferred for a fan?

Starscream wrote:
I checked the manual of the Z370i and it shows a 4 pin connector but only 3 pins used. As an addressable header, this sounds right. Non-addressable headers require all 4 pins.

I think you need a non-addressable header for the fan frames.

Addressable = 5v, non addressable = 12v.

Right, i knew (well, learned about) the difference between the two header types.

I suspect you will be limited to adding an addressable LED strip as I'm not aware of any addressable FANs. (Doesn't mean there are none, but I haven't come across any. But I haven't looked either :))

Thats why i was asking if anyone knew of an Aura-compatible hub that doesn't require the 4-pin non-adressable header that is compatible with Aura. NZXT has one that plugs into a USB header (or just into a USB port if you can manage that) so it doesn't require the 4-pin/NA header (the HUE+) - but it doesn't work with Aura, and the Silverstone RGB hub (that is compatible with Aura) ... requires the 4-pin/NA header to plug into...

So i guess the question is... is there a hub like the HUE+ that is supported by Aura?

I am surprised that a standard RGB header isnt included while an addressable is.

Yeah, i was surprised as well. I'd much rather have the non-addressable "standard" header if i can only have one.

I mean, the HALOS rings work and are controllable through a button the case, but only for a few basic features. And i cant sync it with the Motherboard or RAM, which annoys me.

"Thats why i was asking if anyone knew of an Aura-compatible hub that doesn't require the 4-pin non-adressable header that is compatible with Aura."

The question is, where would you plug this in? If it plugged into the addressable header, it would need to be a hub that would take perhaps the first addressable LED output from the header and apply that value to the whatever is attached. Not a bad idea for a product, but doubt there is one. Hopefully someone else has a recommendation.

Callee Jarillas ... pft... this non-robot stuff is annoying and I constantly type it in the wrong place.

Starscream wrote:
"Thats why i was asking if anyone knew of an Aura-compatible hub that doesn't require the 4-pin non-adressable header that is compatible with Aura."

The question is, where would you plug this in?

A USB header. That's -exactly- what the NZXT Hue+ is. It plugs into a USB2 header (or just a USB port) and gets a SATA power connection. Only problem is the HUE+ only works with NZXT's CAM software, it isn't compatible with Aura.

Edit: CAM isn't capable of addressing the RGB RAM, either, so i'd still have issues even if i went with their AER fans instead.

If it plugged into the addressable header, it would need to be a hub that would take perhaps the first addressable LED output from the header and apply that value to the whatever is attached. Not a bad idea for a product, but doubt there is one. Hopefully someone else has a recommendation.

Callee Jarillas ... pft... this non-robot stuff is annoying and I constantly type it in the wrong place.

A bit of useless trivia that i found amusing: I grew up in Brighton.

HFB_Zulu wrote:

A bit of useless trivia that i found amusing: I grew up in Brighton.

Nice! I have only lived here for a few years but like it quite a bit.. I grew up in Mount Clemens, then spent time WA, Arizona, Korea, and Mississippi while in the USAF.

As a fellow Z370-I owner, I have had this exact same problem, I have a bunch of 4 pin rgb stuff that I want to connect, but I don't want to have to run a separate program to do it. I want aura to do everything.

Now it took a fair bit of searching, and I'm still not 100% sure if it works (still waiting on a few components), but there is a chip which will do what we need.

The chip is the ws2811S made by adafruit (or at least sold by them), there is a pdf of info if you google that, but basically it takes the data input and changes it to an r, g, and b output. I have put a circuit together, but I haven't been able to test it yet.

AoKturtle wrote:
As a fellow Z370-I owner, I have had this exact same problem, I have a bunch of 4 pin rgb stuff that I want to connect, but I don't want to have to run a separate program to do it. I want aura to do everything.

Now it took a fair bit of searching, and I'm still not 100% sure if it works (still waiting on a few components), but there is a chip which will do what we need.

The chip is the ws2811S made by adafruit (or at least sold by them), there is a pdf of info if you google that, but basically it takes the data input and changes it to an r, g, and b output. I have put a circuit together, but I haven't been able to test it yet.

Very interesting, I would love to know if the circuit ends up working.

I'm using this product : https://tr.aliexpress.com/item/1m-4m-5m-WS2812B-Smart-led-pixel-strip-Black-White-PCB-30-60-144-leds...

Very good quality 🙂 1m IP67 3-pin WS2812B

I have a similar issue, and as I said on a different thread, since there's a RGB LED strip in the base that needs a 12v RGB header and 4 In Win Polaris RGB fans (in my In Win A1 case) I asked In Win and they told me to look at Thermaltake TT Sync Controller, it works with Aura (see video on their site and on YouTube), but it does not work with these fans or the base RGB lighting since it only has 9 pin USB2.0 connector ports for devices (so Thermaltake Riing Plus TT fans, which have 9 pin USB2.0 connectors would work with this controller, but not Polaris fans). I don't understand why Asus didn't include or use a 12v RGB header. This is a big hassle.

Maybe there's another controller out there that would work but I haven't found it yet. Let me know if you or anyone else has any thoughts. Thanks