cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370G + Gskill F4-3466C16D-32GTZR + POST Issues.

morph_
Level 11
As per my topic. I'm having constant issues posting with my GSKILL RAM with the Z370G on Bios BIOS 0430

Gskill F4-3466C16D-32GTZR

I was intermittently able to get it to post and go into windows and when booted it manages to run benchmarks and what not without issues.

Issue occurs with XMP profile setup or when I manually set the timings, increase the DRAM Voltage up to 1.36 -1.37 still no luck the problem now seems to ocurr when both ram sticks are plugged in.

I would get the DRAM Yellow LED on the motherboard with no post and what not, after a few power cycles it sometimes manages to post to boot into the bios safemode.

I've tried loading factory defaults and or resetting the CMOS but still no luck...

I was getting impatient so took one stick of ram out and so far it seems to be able to POST & Boot just fine with one stick.
Tried both sticks of RAM independently to both B2 & A2 dimm slots and works fine.

Anyhelp would be much-appreciated thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

Raja
Level 13
Try adjusting the SA and IO voltages. Check what's the board is applying and then make small adjustments. You should need no more than 1.30V for this frequency. The thing to bear in mind with these voltages rails is that too much voltage can be as unstable as not enough. If that does not help, then you may need to relax some memory timings.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Try adjusting the SA and IO voltages. Check what's the board is applying and then make small adjustments. You should need no more than 1.30V for this frequency. The thing to bear in mind with these voltages rails is that too much voltage can be as unstable as not enough. If that does not help, then you may need to relax some memory timings.

Hi Raja, aare you reffering to 1.30v for dram voltage or SA / IO?

really struggling to find a way to get the ram to post.

Carbonicdk
Level 8
Your memory is very similar to mine and my experience is that these Z370 boards really don't like the G.Skill kits - please let me know if you find some SA/IO voltages that work for you, as you can see from my own thread I havn't had much luck above 3000mhz https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96979-New-Z370-system-unstable-memory-and-AURA-issues/page...

Raja
Level 13
The 2x16gb trident-z ddr4-3600 kit I have works fine on the 0802 builds.

morph_
Level 11
Ok, just a mini update as to what is happening.

My Ram: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3466c16d-32gtzr

After hours of my time playing around to get the RAM to post it turned out (very rare apparently) that one of my G.Skill modules was faulty as well so I returned it as DOA and got a replacement. I came to this conclusion by removing one stick of my RAM and testing with one. One seemed to work ok managed to post and boot into windows, was able to say play games and what not safely as well as passing the windows memory check. The other stick however had a multitude of issues with BSOD, unable to post, and constantly crashing and failing windows mem check.

Got the replacement RAM today and I still haven't managed to get it to post with XMP enabled, on the advertised speed of 3466.
After some time of tinkering, I gave up trying to even get it to post... This was predominate done with tweaking the IO/ SA/DRAM voltages... even losening the timingts from out of the box 16-18-18-38 to 18-20-20-40 (still no luck)...

I decided to look at everything again and back to the 'XMP baseline profile' (IO/SA AUTO) and take a diffrent approach. Loaded a slightly higher DRAM voltage 1.36v, set a slightly lower clock speed one of which is 3333mhz with the out of the box timings of 16-18-18-38 such as: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3333c16d-32gtzr as well as it being identical timings to my purchased model.

Magic it posted... booted into windows.... huurah....

Having a quick look at HW info here are the following voltages I've noticed;

DRAM: 1.36v (i might try to lower this back to default 1.35 set manually).
VCCSA: 1.272v (auto)
VCCIO: 1.312v (auto)

Interestingly the SA/IO voltages are a fair bit higher than I expected when applying manual voltages to get it to post at 3466... I was in the range of 1.20 - 1.22v... Maybe I'll try that voltage ranges at one point manually to see if it can post/boot.

Yet to do some memory stability tests but at least it boots its a start... A little disappointed that I cant get it to post or boot even though the g.skill site clearly lists it as compataible with the z370-g... https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3466c16d-32gtzr#tabs-qvl

I'am hoping future bios updates might be able to resolve this and or even improve better compatibility.

morph_
Level 11
Small update..

Lowered my DRAM voltage back to 1.35 and everything still seems to be running fine, post/boot... (Surprised that 3466mhz isproving to be soo difficult but one step down @ 3333mhz is fine...)

118,5xx is my approximate real-bench score from benchmarking ran this a few times + or - a few hundred @ 4.9ghz, max temp of 84c but only sat there for just a couple of seconds and dropped back down, plus the ambiet air temp was around 30c so probably even higher inside the case.

Cooler nighttime ambient temps with my 4.9ghz clock yielded 122,010 real bench score.... fairly happy with that! Wonder how 5ghz will go.

z0ki
Level 10
You do know that if you have a weak IMC you will not be able to run high ram speeds. It's just another "lottery" to add to the list.

To be honest running 3333Mhz or 3700Mhz you won't notice any real world differences anyway so just stick with what works and enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
[NEW RIG] Custom Acrylic Loop / i7 8700K @ 5.3GHz 1.34v / Maximus X Formula / G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB 3466Mhz / EVGA 780 Ti Classified's @ 1478mhz SLI / Corsair AX1200i Digital PSU / Samsung 2TB 960 Pro NVME / Corsair 900D / All EKWB

morph_
Level 11
yeah, I understand, its just frustrating cause you pay 'more' for the higher clock results not being able to achieve it is slightly upsetting 😞

Raja
Level 13
I'll see if I can get one of these kits to test. Not sure we have it in the Taiwan office, though.