cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370 Q-Fan Control - Chasis 2 Fan Voltage Control

Hawkhack
Level 8
Hey all!

I have a Z370-F board and I have a 3-pin Noctua NF-P12 fan connected to the CHA_FAN2 header. This fan can only be controlled by voltage. I have an identical fan connected to the CHA_FAN1 header. Minimum speed for this fan is 900 RPM and the maximum is 1300 RPM. You can see them spinning at about 900 RPM in the screenshot below.

So if I go enter the Q-Fan Control GUI and select CHA1, I can see that it's set to DC control and it's in Manual mode. If I click on the "Full Speed" preset, the fan spins up to its maximum 1300 RPM.

I have changed the setting back to Manual for CHA1. Now if I try to do the same with the CHA2, and set it to "Full Speed" it does not spin up to its maximum 1300 RPM. It stays the same.

However, if I switch the mode from DC to PWM (even though it's not a PWM fan) then it successfully spins up to its maximum 1300 RPM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No interest for my issue? Really? I guess no one is controlling their fans with voltage anymore? Anyway! Updating the BIOS from version 0607 to 0612 appears to have solved the issue. And yes, I realize it's an old BIOS version, but it serves me well. And no, I will not be updating to the latest version anytime soon. I tend not to "fix" something I'm not aware of being broken in the first place, just for the sake of "getting high" on numbers. In my experience, new versions tend to bring their own set of bugs and problems (so no thank you). Also, ASUS is lousy at putting the information out there on what is and what isn't done in any given BIOS update (like this Q-Fan issue for example).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hawkhack
Level 8

Due to "error: invalid file" I can't show you the screenshots in context on this forum! :mad: I tried uploading PNG files one at a time (9 files, 954 KB in total) from my computer, and from Imgur URLs (one at a time) and this forum fails both ways. So you can go have a look at the screenshots on Imgur instead, here's the album: https://imgur.com/a/tMn37c4

For sake of posterity, I tried to upload the images as attachments using Chrome 87 and Firefox 85, sadly that too failed (in both browsers). https://imgur.com/a/xVkplPy Invalid bla bla... old fart! :cool: Don't blame me if I decide to delete the images from Imgur later on or they disappear for other reasons.

Update 6/13/2023:
You can have the remaining images from this post (album xVkplPy). The main images (album tMn37c4) have already been uploaded to the first post. I am uploading them all to the forum for hosting, because I want to delete them from my Imgur account. Unfortunately, the quality will be a little lower than on Imgur, because this forum compresses images, even though these are simple PNG files that don't require a lot of disk space.

Album tMn37c4:
See the embedded images in the first post.

Album xVkplPy:
See embedded images below.

First image: THZyCXQ.png

THZyCXQ.png

Second image: AaocOVg.png

AaocOVg.png

I managed to put the screenshots in. It turns out this forum is lying about PNG support.

It says PNG is supported here...

Here it does not say PNG is supported...

So that's how I knew what I had to do. Can the forum owner or an admin please change the message in the dialog box to exclude PNG as it's not supported? Or preferably, add PNG support back in, if possible? Thanks!

No interest for my issue? Really? I guess no one is controlling their fans with voltage anymore? Anyway! Updating the BIOS from version 0607 to 0612 appears to have solved the issue. And yes, I realize it's an old BIOS version, but it serves me well. And no, I will not be updating to the latest version anytime soon. I tend not to "fix" something I'm not aware of being broken in the first place, just for the sake of "getting high" on numbers. In my experience, new versions tend to bring their own set of bugs and problems (so no thank you). Also, ASUS is lousy at putting the information out there on what is and what isn't done in any given BIOS update (like this Q-Fan issue for example).