cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370 on Hero/Formula with 8700K and NVMe drives in regard to PCIE lanes - clarify pls

orcinus
Level 7
I need some clarification on this:

I'm planning to build an 8700K machine on an Maximus X board (any) but I'm not sure about usability since I plan on using two GTX TITAN V cards, two Intel 900P NVMe drives or a single Intel 900P and a Samsung 960 Pro M2 drive.

No, I know there is no SLI for those Titans, but I don't need SLI, just two cards (rendering).

Since 8700K provides only 16 PCIE lanes, I assume dual TITAN Vs will split dual PCIE slots into x8 + x8, which is fine. But, what about my Intel drives or Intel + Samsung? Those can run on a PCH which has only a single x4 connection to the CPU so actually, the only available performance to the whole PCH is x4 level and I can use only a single NVMe drive concurrently, not more.

Right?
12 REPLIES 12

orcinus wrote:
I see... also, 4.9, what voltage? 🙂 - 5.0 exclusively with a chiller. I can't run my 7980XE above 4.7 and cool it at the same time. It's impossible at load. But I've seen reports.
Regarding 7900X, funny thing is, 7980XE clocks much better than 7900X. I presume it's the die area thing - 7980Xe comes from a higher core count die process and is less hungry and less packed).

It's impressive to hear that at 700RPM H115i cools it fine. 🙂

I still have trouble overclocking my un-delidded 7900x to 4.6. It is only stable at stock so far. Even if I did lose the silicon lottery, it cannot be that bad. What settings do you guys use?

Menthol
Level 14
Justin Thyme is one of the few with a 7900 that can do 5.0 on R6E, search his threads for daily settings, on my R6Apex I change settings for each individual benchmark only, and system sets dormant most of the time (waiting for next gen. GPU's to be released then I'll fir it up again)

I use the Z370 daily so it needs to be 100% stable using adaptive vcore including resuming from sleep. 700 RPM at idle they ramp up under load but silence does make for a better computing environment, I don't use headphones so there are trade off's to run high frequencies and keep noise under control, I am not opposed to running default speeds, I just like to play with hardware