cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370-I 2 fans connected to AIO Pump ramp up often and at higher RPM

Gibbs
Level 7
Bear with me, I'm a first time builder still getting the hang of things following a rather tough build experience.

Build:
Asus Rog Strix Z370-I
i7 8700k
Rog Strix 2080

I have 2 fans connected to the AIO pump connector on the motherboard. Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM and a NF-A8 PWM using the supplied Y splitter that came with the fans.

I've set the AIO Pump to PWM mode as recommended in some posts following some research. The fans connected to the AIO Pump connector seem to run about 200-300 RPM higher than the fans connected to the CPU and chassis fan connectors. During light computer use like browsing on chrome the fans connected to the pump connector ramp up and down very often and are louder than all the other fans. This gets quite annoying and leads me to the following questions:

1) How can I bring down the RPM of the fans connected to the AIO pump connector to match the RPM of the other fans?
2) How can I stop the fans from ramping up and down so much during normal computer use?
3) Is it possible to control the fans connected to the AIO Pump connector?

Using the Q-Fan tool I've set the CPU to silent mode and the Chassis to standard.
3 REPLIES 3

GotKevlar
Level 7
Gibbs wrote:
Bear with me, I'm a first time builder still getting the hang of things following a rather tough build experience.

Build:
Asus Rog Strix Z370-I
i7 8700k
Rog Strix 2080

I have 2 fans connected to the AIO pump connector on the motherboard. Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM and a NF-A8 PWM using the supplied Y splitter that came with the fans.

I've set the AIO Pump to PWM mode as recommended in some posts following some research. The fans connected to the AIO Pump connector seem to run about 200-300 RPM higher than the fans connected to the CPU and chassis fan connectors. During light computer use like browsing on chrome the fans connected to the pump connector ramp up and down very often and are louder than all the other fans. This gets quite annoying and leads me to the following questions:

1) How can I bring down the RPM of the fans connected to the AIO pump connector to match the RPM of the other fans?
2) How can I stop the fans from ramping up and down so much during normal computer use?
3) Is it possible to control the fans connected to the AIO Pump connector?

Using the Q-Fan tool I've set the CPU to silent mode and the Chassis to standard.

My understanding is that the AIO connector is unique compared to the behavior of the standard fan connectors. I have an actual pump connected to my aio header and it never drops below 2k rpm. But because its a pump , not a fan, its not a big deal. Did you try changing the sensor that the connector is monitoring or seeing if the other fan connectors behave the same way ?

Menthol
Level 14
What AIO are you using?
Does the pump connect to an onboard UEB header?
Is there manufacturer software to control fans and or pump speed?
Does you pump connect directly to the power supply, usually be SATA power connection?

One method is connect the radiator fans to the motherboard CPU and or CPU_OPT fan headers, and control those fans in the bios

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my initial post. I'll further clarify. I don't have an AIO connected. Instead of an AIO I put two Noctua fans using a Y splitter which are connected to the AIO connector. The fans connected to this AIO connector were running at an average of 200-300 RPM higher than the other fans connected to the chassis fan and CPU fan connectors.

I updated my BIOS firmware and reset the CMOS while troubleshooting an overclock and all fans speeds seem to be operating within similar ranges now. When in doubt reset I guess...

Thanks for the insights